It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microbe found two miles under Greenland ice is reawakened from a 120,000-year sleep

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
The second problem is the comparison. We are more like a five year old child, that has learned to play with matches and is rapidly setting the house on fire.

And then we five-year-olds stand there and look at the pretty shapes and colors the fire gives off not ever realizing that the fire will kill us.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
psh! purple? everyone is afraid of a purple bug? thats the best nature could do 120,000 years ago? i say bring it on. lets see what its got!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Rational sense hurts sometimes, but I don't think that's my fault. I apologize for the world not ending and S not HTF, but that's just it. The world is a lot more tame than you'd ever want it to be.

You hear the word "bacteria" and you assume that it may spread like wild fire, wiping out all in it's wake, breaching the seal of human immunities, and destroying humanity as we know it.

I hear the word "bacteria" and understand that it's sometimes used in a negative light, but bacteria is the building block of almost all life, especially our own. It also comes in countless varieties and only a handful being harmful to human beings.

Calm down, Mr. Moderator.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Be careful what you wish for. Here is another little one which we currently have and it is among the deadliest we know of.

Meet E Coli

[Added more information]It is important to note there there are many strains of e coli and not all are deadly. The one I am referring to is E. coli 0157:H7.

Deadly e-Coli Bacteria is in Half of all US Cattle

Wednesday November 10 1:25 PM ET

Deadly E. Coli Bug May Affect Half of U.S. Cattle

By Julie Vorman

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A deadly strain of E. coli bacteria is far more
common in U.S. cattle than previously thought, and may be found in half the animals that are made into ground beef, steaks and other cuts, a senior U.S. Agriculture Department official told Reuters on Wednesday.

The surprisingly high rate of E. coli 0157:H7, detected by more sensitive
testing techniques used since September, has prompted the USDA to take the unusual step of re-evaluating how it regulates the foodborne disease.

The bacteria can cause kidney failure and death among children or the
elderly who eat contaminated ground beef.

But among cattle, E. coli 0157:H7 lives harmlessly in the digestive tract.
The bug migrates when animals are slaughtered and skinned, moving from internal organs and hides to flesh.

Some information from the FDA

EPA on contaminated drinking water

CDC on E. coli

[edit on 6/17/2009 by Amaxium]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well, you do realize that glaciers melt from the bottom up, right? I'm pretty sure that there will be a lot of "new" bugs like this dropping out of the ice as global warming continues apace, we just won't know it until/unless they make themselves known by damaging something...

I'm rather more concerned about what might be emerging from the permafrost layers, as an awful lot of bodies were buried in it, including victims of the 1918 swine flu. Hard to say for sure, but I can envision a body emerging from the melt, and passing through a bird-human chain rather easily. Bird eats carrion, gets virus, either transmits it to other birds that are in contact with humans. Alternatively, body emerges, people do the proper thing and rebury it and pick up the virus directly. Way scarier than an ancient bug.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Thats a cute little bacteria all red and has hair on it, can i name it Howard? ...sorry for the off topic but thats one cute lil bug, this is why im afraid that they will wake it up , it might just run away

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join