It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have to call the police?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
As some of you know I work in Detroit, at a rather shady no tell motel. Tonight I had to call the police AGAIN to remove a party room.

Whats the problem with party rooms you ask?

I don't want to work in a no tel motel anymore. We are close enough to downtown that this place could actually be a decent place for travelers to stay. Well that is of course if it weren't for the locals.

When someone checks in we ask for an ID, we then ask routine questions. One of the most important questions we ask is "How many people are going to be in the room?" It's a simple question but it determines a lot. It determines the price of the room and whether or not we even want you there.

I had three young ladies show up, local girls, (not working girls) the person providing her ID answered my question with 3. She stated that there were to be three people in the room.

Now we don't mind visitors until 10 pm. and when she started throwing a party in our pool area I went over and asked if this was going to be a problem. She said no they aren't going to stay, which I knew was a lie. I said that there would be a charge of $5.00 per person for the pool. She agreed so I went back to the front desk to await payment.

Of course payment wasn't forthcoming. So I had to once again go over to the pool and up the response. I said I am sorry but the pool is for registered guests only and if you are not going to pay then you will have to leave. A rather inebriated yet sensible fellow said it wouldn't be a problem and he would pay for the requisite pool passes for the party goers.

Fair is fair after all, so I instructed him that I could not take payment in the pool and he must follow me to the front desk for the transaction. (believe me this saves a lot of headaches) He complied and the party goers were paid for and their pool passes were issued.

Now I told them that this was for the pool only and that the pool was to close at ten. This they complied with also, the current set of guests left with little incident. (a few racial remarks here and there about the color of my skin, no big deal) But then a second group of party goers arrived shortly after 10 pm. I called the room and warned them that we do not allow excess guests after 10. The woman who rented the room agreed, and said that they would be leaving shortly.

Ten minutes latter even more guests arrived for the room and I had had enough, I went to the room and tried in vain to explain that the guest that purchased the room said that only three people were to be in the room that evening and that everyone else had to leave.

This sparked more racial slurs and a torrent of arguments about how I couldn't do this, and that she paid all this money blah blah blah. I said if you don't leave I will have to call the police, at this point the room erupted in laughter. (that's how much respect the Detroit police department gets)

I tried to dial 911 and a woman knocked my cell phone out of my hand, I informed her that she just committed assault, and after picking up my phone called the police.

One officer arrived about twenty minutes later, I informed him that I was revoking her lease on the room for the evening due to breaking house rules, he followed me up to the room and it was only then that they finally left. After of course more racial slurs and threats.

My question is, does it really have to get to this point? I mean I am after all the innkeeper, do people really think that they can pack 20 or more people into one room and expect not to be kicked out?

I mean get five rooms for Christ sake, some people think ahead and do that, they know they are going to throw down and they get a bunch of rooms, that way there isn't much we can do. but when you tell an innkeeper that there will be 3 people in the room then proceed to throw a party, don't get mad that you get thrown out. And please don't make me call the police, I know I am just some white guy, but that doesn't mean I should be disrespected based on my race. I assure you my motives aren't racial if they were we would have no business whatsoever. Don't make me call the cops, act like civilized people, accept that you are in the wrong, I hold the keys, and if your breaking the rules and get kicked out there isn't anything you can do but leave.

Apparently racial equality in Detroit is a one way street.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Isn't there any way you can make a log, or use some software to keep names of people who do that and refuse service to them? Public posting of people who have written hot checks to places is a common practice where I live. Just don't let them have a room.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by catamaran

I have begged for new software to replace the antiquated property management software we use. The software I have suggested would allow for a no rent list as you suggested and it would alleviate a lot of the problem.

The other problem is the owner would rather rent to these people and then kick them out for the money than to do the right thing and not rent to them at all.

On nights when we have had a full house, the owner even has asked if anyone has been a problem so that we can kick them out, clean the room and sell it again.

To me this creates a hostile work environment. I am forced to first rent to people I know are going to be a problem, then when they do become a problem I am then forced to attempt to kick them out. Being in Detroit, the problem is compounded because I am white and the guests refuse to leave and I am forced to call the police in order to have them removed. (If the police decide to show up at all)

I have to work alone, without security, and without people to help me preform duties that are actually required for my job.

If there were any other jobs, I would quit. However the employment situation is so bad here that it's practically impossible to get another job.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Please tell me it's not the Motel 6 I stayed in dude

We had a swat team goin up the stairs ,a delightful cockroach as well visiting in the night and we won't even go into the state of the shower

PLEASE escape and run away like right now---It's your only hope !!!
And OMG I think Detroit was where I spent like one of the most boring days of my life at the Henry Ford museum----aaaaaaargh

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Oh no it's not the motel 6 were no where near that nice of a place

If I had another job to run to UK I would. BELIEVE ME! I spend time between postings here looking for other work.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

OMG you must work in a complete #hole

Have you had all your tetanus jabs n stuff !!!
And try HARDER ---------there are roads leading out of Motor City so get your butt up one of them!!!
Blondie knows best so listen to her advice.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

In fact we were voted the dirtiest hotel in Detroit by TripAdvisor. YAY! Least were the best at being the worst.

Oh I wish I could leave UK. I really do. I am stuck for the moment.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Seriously now babe you need to stay positive and I'm sure something, somewhere will come up.
You seem quite a funny guy with loadsa personality--let it shine through and those jobs WILL come your way

Oh btw can you sing ???
Is'nt Detroit home of Tamla Motown ???
Get those glittering flares on and the afro hairstyle and off ya go

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Sorry, no I can't sing. Until the day that the Strangling a cat sound becomes popular I won't be winning American Idol.

Soon, ill have to get ready to go to that place. I dread every second of my two hour long bus ride in. I would liken it to being ferried into the pit of hell.

But, until I land another job, I am stuck. I can't afford to just quit and look for another job. I have child support to pay. And I am not going to just not pay that in order to give myself the luxury of getting out of that hell hole.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Mmmmmm--you are certainly in a bit of a pickle at the moment .
I wish i could help ya man, I really do.
I'll send some positive lucky vibes over to you.
Keep your spirits up and remember when you've done that next nightmare shift--there's always ATS to look forward to

Try to get thro it by just having little things to look forward to babe .
Oh and please add me to friends--I NEED friends

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Maybe it's time to move out of that area or even detroit, fresh start maybe? Somewhere different, and more positive place, Miami maybe? But it seems that would be hard for you? right?

Anyway good luck.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Why not just start asking for a big tip to keep quiet? It used to be fleabag hotels just took the money and put down John Smith. I am surprised they ask for IDs at those places. There was one where I used to live that had hourly rates!

Good luck on finding another job, as no job is worth that much hassle and possible risk to your person. I have quit terrible jobs before, and it does suck when you have no work lined up. I used to have a tiny nest egg just in case something like that happened.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You had best watch yourself or you might end up shot in the face. Also if the owner wants to rent to those people then fine, just don't enforce the rules.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have been running buildings for 11 yrs and can tell you....don't allow it to be personal and just do what the law is and don't let it be personal.
Be strong and call the cops if need be.
Either that or you are gonna get in a fight or you will be letting them get to you.
Its just work and its not really that worth it.
A deep breathe and relax and just do what you got to do.
Theres alot of idiots in the world and i get lied to everyday if its any consolation.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
To answer your question...yes

yes you do have to call the cops because alot of people are selfish and stupid. It's just that simple

best example of a lower version of what happened to you is the guy that breaks into a house, get's stabbed or hurts himself then sues the homeowner for pain/suffering

are you friggin kidding me?

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Yeah, you have to call the police.

You and I are in similar situations. I'm a superintendent for the landlord so all the BS lands on my plate.
I even get to screen a tenant before they move in, but they'll give you their friend's number that pretends to be the current landlord and they just lie. I really don't know what I'm getting before they move in.

Most of the local police know me by first name due to the number of calls I deal with.
I won't back down, and thankfully we have fantastic officers that respond quickly when I have a problem. They have my back when I need it most.

It sounds like you have bad news in a bad area, but walk tall and carry a big stick. The police I deal with have become great allies when I need them.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Ok this is why it's good to refuse service to certain people.

On Thursday morning, about 3:12 am a man in a long red t shirt went to a room with a handgun and opened fire on the occupants. There were at least six people in the room, two were injured, one critically.

This is why I hate working at my job. I get in trouble for letting customers go. But if you don't let the bad ones leave, this is the sort of thing that can happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
My god man. Listen, save up some money any way possible and just move.

I have been so stressed at work that I have been saving money for months for the event in which I would snap and just walk out. Well, thank God I was saving, because I was fired today with no reason. Now I get unemployment til I find something I can actually fit into.

Sometimes I honestly think I'd be better on the streets than in the job I was working. It has taken years off my life.

Don't let it do that to you. Its not worth it.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Don't let it do that to you. Its not worth it.

It's not, it really is not worth it, but I have to, because there arent any other jobs here in Michigan at the moment. Least none that want to hire me.

I mean working in Detroit now, I have been mugged at gunpoint, they stole my cell phone then called my sister, my dad, my boss and others telling them that they had shot me and I was dead in an alleyway.

Now someone might be dead who decided to stay at the hotel I work at. Just because the owner is so desperate for revenue that we are told to not let anyone go no matter who they are.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
What's keeping you in Michigan? I've moved 3 times in the last 2 years to help my job situation.

Sometimes a change of scenery can be healthy. And it is by no means permanent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join