It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are we stalled out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm not really much of a writer or even a reader for that matter, so I obviously don't know much.
However, my question is, "With the invention of the internet and the pocketsized computers that are avalible, why have we not done anything really ground breaking or earth shattering in the last half decade?"

We went to the moon a few times and after that, nothing.

The space station and the mars rovers have produced what?
(understand, I love the rovers. I wish we would send a dozen more and stream their cameras on the web.)

We have had some good things happen with the before mentioned entertainment field, but nothing even close to a moon landing. or as useful as the panamal canal.

When was the last time we even built a decent bridge?

Will we ever get this show on the road?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think we are in a sense. However, only in a sense. I think that for a little bit, the objective has come to a screeching halt. The subjective must be developed. We are not worthy for further development until we de-robotize ourselves and become keenly aware of spiritual influence and its powers. Without this awareness, we are truly the sleeping masses, the walking dead. Understanding that truth is an emergent continuum of vast interconnectedness, and society having this understanding on a large scale, is the next step.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
our society and our technology is being stalled by design

see if we invent super cheap spaceships, and things like this, than the governments will no longer have any power over anyone

you could simply fly away at light speed +++ and they would never be able to have any control over your life/actions

same goes on earth, advanced technology destroys the power grip on the people

example : free and clean energy sources (they can no longer take 1/3rd your paycheck for electric/gas) thus granting you tons of "economic freedom"

how about inventing a way to desalinize ocean water super cheap and easily? ahh that would ruin their power grip on water supplies because everyone will have lots of water for almost free

how about inventing a method of disposing of garbage in a ecological friendly, cheap, and efficient manner? that would destroy the current mega-business of trash collection/disposal

what if you invent new farming techniques that allow anyone even in their own apartment to cheaply and efficently grow large amounts of clean organic foods ? that would destroy a massive supermarket business and it would also eradicate "famine" as a method of controlling the people

i could go on and on

there is a REASON why these technologies are NOT ALLOWED

[edit on 14-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
why have we not done anything really ground breaking or earth shattering in the last half decade?"

Quite the contrary, I think we have although in some cases the results have yet to be fully realized.

Mapping the human genome is one example, and the LHC (beats the hell out of any bridge purely as an engineering feat IMO) another.

As for things like going to the moon, well, the laws of physics have not changed, and the leap in complexity in going one better (and putting someone on Mars for example) is exponential. It's more economical to use unmanned probes although not as much of a "public-pleaser" given current technology.

I think we will start to see some big leaps in technology soon. We are entering the "Nano-tech" age and things are starting to speed up.

Here's something to contemplate: Technological singularity

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
We are only a few years away from a huge paradigm shift. If you are lucky enough to be alive then you will get to see it. Technology development since the internet has been focused on building out this world wide internet system.

You say we have not done anything in the last 5 years in technology.

I say I can now buy an 8GB microSD card the size of my pinky nail for $15. I remember 5 years ago I still had 8GB hard drives around in some of my machines that I paid hundreds of dollars for.

I have a netbook I purchased for $350 that has 2 times the power as the laptop I purchased 5 years ago for 3 times the price.

I guess to think that we have done nothing in technology for the past 5 year a person would have to live in a very remote area.

Just wait until our progress in nanotechnology starts to really pay off in the next few years. Then the world will begin another quantum leap in technology.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

how about inventing a way to desalinize ocean water super cheap and easily? ahh that would ruin their power grip on water supplies because everyone will have lots of water for almost free

I agree with everything you said except that. Doing that will render everything living in the salt waters extinct. Before which we might face global psionic/UFO wars against the Cetaceans (Dolphins, Orcas, etc..)

People like me and you are usually too lazy to do anything until something terrible happens like the wars and the threat of extinction

A very good example is aircraft development by the Luftwaffe/Nazis during WW2 for achieving quantum leaps in aircraft design and research. Most advanced aircraft designs you see today are descendants of WW2 Luftwaffe examples, including the B-2 bomber and stealth technology!!!

The Space Age is hugely driven by the Cold War. Now we have new space age about cheap space vehicles, 'The Cheap Age'?? But cheap and conventional technology, doesn't come beautifully together. We are still limited to orbital flight

[edit on 15-6-2009 by ahnggk]

join