It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexander the Great and Ancient Great 'Gods'??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
After watching some very interesting documentaries about Alexander the great, ancient civilisatons etc...you tend to find that a lot of the great figures of the time are refered to as 'gods'.

Alexander, before he started out on the conquest of the known world (at the time) visited an oracle in Siwa Oasis in Egypt. Oracles at the time were known as people who had a 'divine' knowledge of the events that were to unfold in the ancient world. The quote below is taken from a great site also featured below:

".....his journey towards the oracle of Zeus Ammon in the oasis Siwa in the Libyan desert. We do not know what Alexander was planning to ask the priest, or what the priest answered but what we know is that the priest of this sanctuary greeted Alexander as "Son of Ammon", or "Son of Zeus". This implied that he was seen as son of the highest God, he was seen as the pharaoh of Egypt. This was not even that weird as somebody who is so young, but who had done so many great things just had to be a son of a God."

monolith.dnsalias.org...

After he visited the oracle, the furthest point south-west in Egypt on the map below, he went on to win a decisive battle against Darius (King of Persia) that took place at Gaugamela in the plains of Mesopotamia, modern day Iraq in 331 BC. Alexander then went on capture the Great Cities of Persia.

Also, after Alexander, Cleopatra of Egypt has an interesting story. She was born in 69 BC in Alexandria Egypt and after her father Ptolemy Auletes died and left his kingdom in his will to his eighteen year old daughter that was the beginning for Cleopatra. Her Kingdom was falling apart. Famine internally and anarchy abroad she was forced to pay tribute to the Romans to keep them from invading. This however was not the case for long. After she was overthrown for some of her actions she left Egypt and was to return as a Roman invasion took place. Julius Caesar himself had arrived. Cleopatra returned and was presented to Caesar. He made her sole ruler of Egypt. This was the start of the romance between the two. Think about it, the most powerful man in the world, Caesar and the desendant of the 'God' rulers of Egypt. Is there any other reason that Caesar would want to have Cleopatra bear his sons??

He wanted divinity to go with the blood of his own.

Anyway, this is my second post so let me know what you think!!

Nerevar

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Alexander the Great is one of my favorite historical figures.

Maybe the gods did have something to do with his rise and fame.

BTW, I though Cleopatra was Marcus Antony's lover? Didn't she kill herself with a poisonous snake because of him?

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am not saying that the gods had something to do with Alexander's rise to fame, i am saying that he was a god.....or of the bloodline of rulers who proclaimed themselves to be gods!!

Cleopatra had a son with Caesar according to a docu that i watched, but her (failed) romance with Marcus Anthony is more public knowlegde. Like all Pharoahs before her, they were also deemed to be gods......like the rulers of the Aztecs and Mayans.....like Attilla the Hun (who was procliamed to be the Scourge of God) who brought the Roman Empire to its knees.....makes you think eh??

How else would all of the great monuments over the globe have come about?? eg The Great Pyramids in Egypt?? even with todays technology it would be difficult to do.....imagine trying to do that at a time when Iron wasn't even used (Bronze was the metal used for Swords!!)

anyway thanks for your response!!

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
this is probably already known to you but i just found this out ammon must mean the chief god because the egyptians call there chief god ammon ra and if the greeks say zues ammon then there you have it

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Almost all Roman emperors get the God-status after their death. This doesn't mean they are Gods. There are enough Roman sources describing their life and death: Tacitus, Suetonius, Livius, etc. I'll look into the Greek literature to check if there are any texts about Alexander, but Perseus is offline right now.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
It might interest you to know that Julius Caesar was proclaimed a living god.

But it's also interesting to note that it is not a title that he believed in.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Alexander the Great, 336 B.C � 323 B.C

To say that Alexander�s reign was a military active one borders on an understatement, predictably, and consistent with UFO patterns, reports of sightings increased greatly during his conquests. On several occasions, Alexander himself reported seeing flying shields that hovered above his battle sites and followed his troops for great distances between battles. But he wasn�t a typical UFO witness of that era. His views of UFOs seemed to be somewhat more objective than those commonly held then.

Some ufologists believe it was because he had made actual contact with the aliens. He was rumored to flown in a ufo at least once. In his description of his flight, he told how the earth below him looked as he rose above it. As among other things, he said that some large bodies of water assumed a serpentine appearance as e gained in altitude. Some researchers believe such description validate the notion that Alexander indeed flew, because he couldn�t have been so accurate in his descriptions without actually done so.

Finally Alexander apparently believed that there were other inhabited planets besides earth. In response to the notion that he had conquered all the known world, Alexander reportedly opined to his warriors that there where worlds beyond this one that he would never conquer.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Alexander the Great's endavours were discribed in great detail by Arch Gabriel to Daniel a couple of hundred years before it actually happened. Quite interresting stuff. The last couple of pages in Daniel has alot of stuff about the Ptolemaios'es, the Epiphanes'es, Alexander the Great and so on. They're all there. Even Cleopathra is mentioned. Wouldn't need an oracle even. Could only get someone who knew the Jewish Scriptures.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Camelop�rdalis]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Alexander the Great is one of my favorite historical figures.

Maybe the gods did have something to do with his rise and fame.

BTW, I though Cleopatra was Marcus Antony's lover? Didn't she kill herself with a poisonous snake because of him?

No. Mark Anthony was killed by Octavian Augustus, Cleaopatra captured by him. Then she killed her self with a snake.

MTZ

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cardu

To say that Alexander�s reign was a military active one borders on an understatement, predictably, and consistent with UFO patterns, reports of sightings increased greatly during his conquests. On several occasions, Alexander himself reported seeing flying shields that hovered above his battle sites and followed his troops for great distances between battles. But he wasn�t a typical UFO witness of that era. His views of UFOs seemed to be somewhat more objective than those commonly held then.

Some ufologists believe it was because he had made actual contact with the aliens. He was rumored to flown in a ufo at least once. In his description of his flight, he told how the earth below him looked as he rose above it. As among other things, he said that some large bodies of water assumed a serpentine appearance as e gained in altitude. Some researchers believe such description validate the notion that Alexander indeed flew, because he couldn�t have been so accurate in his descriptions without actually done so.

Finally Alexander apparently believed that there were other inhabited planets besides earth. In response to the notion that he had conquered all the known world, Alexander reportedly opined to his warriors that there where worlds beyond this one that he would never conquer.

do you have a link for this? quite interesting.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MTZ

do you have a link for this? quite interesting.

Well when i read books i write down different things and this is something i read from a book a long time ago... but I am going to check if I find something on the nett about this

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by Cardu]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

On several occasions, Alexander himself reported seeing flying shields that hovered above his battle sites and followed his troops for great distances between battles.

Hehe. Isn't this about when he on one of his Eastbound marches, came uppon some Indian warriors who used an extremely efficient artillery system? My memory may be alittle slow now, but wasn't this in the same war when Alexander ordered something like 1000 metal horses on wheels to be constructed, which he filled with oil they lit and then pushed them rolling before themselves into battle, which scared the enemies so bad that they retreated.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Alexander the Great wasn't no god, he was just a conqueror.

I think calling him a god is a snear to his achievements in his lifetime.

A World Conqueror, he is probably the first recorded person to ever dream of a One World Government.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Indeed, Ill. But we must remember how the hethen people has always turned humans into gods. The people at Troy became gods thanks to Homer etc. This is a tradition which is still alive and kicking. Most Christians use the same reasons for calling Jesjuah God as did people claim Alexander the Great etc. were gods. I haven't yet heared one single man being able to explain why Jesjuah is a god, and what makes him God in the end. They just say "Because" and then they would prolly continue calling me a deceiver or something. But they all flat out when I say that Jesjuah is my God, and that unlike themselves, I would actually be able to proove it before Satan or whoever God sent towards me to challenge such Word of Truth. Hey, people doesn't even know what the Word is anymore. If you explain it to them, they call you a satanist. That's pretty strange.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerevar

".....his journey towards the oracle of Zeus Ammon in the oasis Siwa in the Libyan desert. We do not know what Alexander was planning to ask the priest, or what the priest answered but what we know is that the priest of this sanctuary greeted Alexander as "Son of Ammon", or "Son of Zeus". This implied that he was seen as son of the highest God, he was seen as the pharaoh of Egypt. This was not even that weird as somebody who is so young, but who had done so many great things just had to be a son of a God."

Nerevar

Be carefull not to take things out of context. Like most rulers then and now Alexander was an initiate of one of the Mystery Systems, what we now call secret societies. The title "Son Of Amun" is from the Egyptian Mysteries and thus supports the fact that he was an initiate. It is nothing more than a title, and is not to be taken in the literal sense but at best in the metaphorical one. He was by no means the son of god, but rather a person on the path of god, the path of light.

Additionally rulers of nations were often viewed by the masses as gods, because they were believed to be the closest to them, of divine right, birth, and blood. Many cultures felt that only rulers could speak with god, and in contemporary times not much has changed, as we have the Pope, who for the Roman Catholics is the closet man to god.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Indeed. It often had to do with being a member of a certain noble or royal family which traced it's roots back to the Egyptian gods, or as in this example with Alexander the Great, Olympus/Troy, being a "son of Zeus" and ancient Egypt, being a "son of Ammon"/"son of Ra". Amon was the "god of Thebes", and often identified with Zeus and even Ra. The word Amen which ends our prayers, may infact have it's root in this name, but officially, Amen in a Jewish/Islamic/Christian sense is the Hebrew word for confirmation/to agree.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Camelop�rdalis]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camelop�rdalis
The word Amen which ends our prayers, may infact have it's root in this name, but officially, Amen in a Jewish/Islamic/Christian sense is the Hebrew word for confirmation/to agree.
[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Camelop�rdalis]

The word Amen actually comes from ancient Egypt, it was the name of the "the one god". Amen was the supreme being of Egyptian mythology, and was considered as an abstract entity. All other dieties even Ra himself, being but different manifestations of Amen. Later Amen was chiefly worshiped at Thebes "the city of the hidden god". The root "a-m-n" in Mdw Ntr or hieroglphics means "to veil" or "to hide" it was applied to the sun as the "self existent" and at times "hidden one."

Amen is not so much a name as it is a sound. It is used to fix the attention, at the beginning of concentration preparatory to meditation, thus making the brain more recepetive to ideas from the inner and higher realms. It is the sacred word or rather sound, known to the mysics in all ages because it rouses or "tunes up" the magnetic forces inducing the receptive state.

Hecataeus said that the egyptians used the world "Amen" as the "word of power" for awakening the ka (soul) of a person.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
hmm. Interresting. There are alot of common words in Egyptian and Hebrew languages, though with different meanings. Ra means evil in Hebrew. As ar' means ten or tithe. Ma'at means outnumbered etc. And here Amen, which may be a sign of reconciliation between Egypt and Israel in particular, since they both use the word, and Amen in Hebrew means Agreed. And in Hebrew tradition it is said after the prayer. In Egypt typically enough, in the oposite end, in the beginning. Hmmm. Interresting stuff indeed. And how you said Amen meant to veil. Guess which Hebrew name which has that meaning? Lot. Reading the ancient stories about the gods of Egypt. There's alot of interbreeding, and they often have animal features etc. Clear connection here too.

You also have the name Mary, which may have it's roots in the Egyptian name Mry, which means The Beloved. Mr is the male variant of this name, it means The Love. The Beloved Disciple who wrote the Gospel of John -- I believe that disciple was Miriam of Bethany, also known as Mary Magdalene. Magdalene means Tower, from Magdala.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Alexander the great had a Mother, Olympias. Few talk about her,. but she was a great spiritual woman, and probably a high priestess of the great feminine cults. She passed on to Alexander the knowledge of her learning as well.

Alexander was also tutored by none other than aristotle starting at around 12 years old. Imagine what secrets and knowledge aristotle bestowed upon Alexander. At 16 years old alexander quelled a rebellion, retook the city and named it after himself. that was the beginning of a spectacular Military career, ending tragically.

new topics

top topics

join