It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt Congress members protected by Democrats and Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Corrupt Congress members protected by Democrats and Republicans

In an article by Chuck Neubauer in the Washington Times on Wednesday, June 10, 2009, he recalls the time when Democrats said they should control Congress because of the two corrupt Republican lawmakers: Mark Foley and Rick Renzi, who were made to be examples of Washington's "culture of corruption." Voters sided with the Democrats and the Republicans lost power.

Neubauer writes "But when the limelight faded, the controversies took an unexpected twist: Democrats, now in control, sought to block or limit prosecutors from gathering certain evidence of corruption against members of Congress on constitutional grounds, complicating the criminal cases against the two Republicans.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and the Democratic leadership joined with top Republicans to continue a years-long tradition authorizing the House general counsel's office to intervene in outside investigations of its members.

They sought the exclusion of evidence it said was obtained in violation of Article 1, Section 6, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution. The clause protects the legislative branch from meddling by the other two branches, declaring that "for any Speech or Debate in either House, [senators and representatives] shall not be questioned in any other Place."

Hmmm... What to do? What to do?

Americans are largely known for short attention spans and it is quite evident that Congress knows it and uses it to their advantage. Notice, I said Congress and not the Democrats or the Republicans - this is not a partisan issue - it IS an American citizen issue. Why, oh why, does it have to be us against them?? It should be them representing our best interests.

Sorry, I guess I'm just pining for the old days of being in a state of sheephood. I get so weary. It does seem that this is human nature and that it will never change no matter who we put in Congress.

What to do? What to do?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I knew that no one would disagree with this post, but I did expect at least a little bit of commiseration.
Sigh.....

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'll give you a star and flag for this post. I found it interesting and my flags aren't made of gold like some people act like they are. The only reason I didn't comment is because I feel we should all take to the streets and protest the way people did during the 60's. It made a difference then, why not now?

We should demand these people be held accountable... But, I'm sick of getting flamed by people who say Americans are above protesting. I don't see it as they're above anything. I see it as fat and lazy.

There... that should get your thread going. Prepare for the flames.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

I wasn't out for the S&F's cause I honestly don't care about them, I just wanted to make sure the thread was showing on others' computer screens.
Sometimes I wonder.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I can't say I am surprised, we all know these people play on the same team behind closed doors. Only when they parade in front of cameras to their views differ.

All a dog and ponny show for the average citizen to watch. It's really getting tiresome IMO.

I wonder what it will take to actually make the politicial system in the US work for the people and not against it? Perhaps a third party or some independant seats must be won.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The biggest battle fought in congress,is to see who can get their hands in the peoples pocket first. There seem to be far to few trust worthy congresspersons. They should all be replaced. Term limits should be in place also. Congress should recognize that they SHOULD be held to a higher standard.They represent all the people in their districts,they should show the respect due the people.

top topics

join