It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Flesh-Eating Disease in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A flesh eating disease has taken the life of one person in Canada on Friday, another person is in serious condition. The disease is known as necrotizing fasciitis. It consumes flesh and can lead to amputation or sometimes death.

Canada.com

The only link found between the two infected individuals so far is that they were both treated at St. Joseph's hospital in Saint John last week.

There are five others under being treated with antibiotics as a preventive measure.

Officials don't know the source of the current infections.

When the condition spreads into the muscle tissue, it is called necrotizing myositis. Death can occur within 12 to 24 hours of infection.
The patient who died Friday passed away less than a day after they had started to receive treatment.

There have been other incidents of this disease in Canada. Just last year, two persons died within day of each other in separate incidents.

I did some research on necrotising fasciitis and it's listed as one of the dangers of IV drug users. Four years ago, in the UK, 18 drug users were killed by necrotising fasciitis after contaminated heroin began circulating in the city. It seems as though there are some new deaths there being attributed to this.
Scotsman.com

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Damn that is scary eh?! I've heard of that happening in Quebec to that Quebec quois leader. If i was being eaten alive i'd just let it finish its job, i dont think i could handle living with only one leg.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Sapphire

Yeah, scary as hell if you ask me. Way more worrying than any chicken or beef virus if you ask me...

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It's a strange disease and IMO more common than most would like to believe. From what I've seen it is very random and generally not associated with a local or regional out break. I don't think the press picks up on all of the cases. Still though, very scary!

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ya, that was Lucien Bouchard a few years back, Sapphire.

i recall sporadic cases over the past few years. It's very dangerous, and can end in death very, very, quickly, if not found and treated immediately.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yeah...this is one serious...if not lethal infection.

Come across it a couple of times on duty...we had a neighbour down the road when i was younger who died of it...its still unknown how he contracted it.

It kinda starts off like gangreen...a type of necrotizing faceitis...weird smelly cheese smell...then the bacteria just multiples and destroys u inside out.

Only time i have really barfed me cookies up was when i i saw it in iraq

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
There was a local scare here last year. A number of school age kids came down with throat infections that had symptoms alarmingly similar to a necrotizing Strep infection: inflammation, ulcers, tissue loss. Fortunately, it was a fairly harmless coxsackie virus that was getting passed around the schools and just ran its course.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
DAMN! that's a nasty bitch! one of those suckers can make u look like a ground up steak in no time!

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ya, the sure can/ That's nasty. If I recall correctly, once in the body you can be dead within 12-24 hours. It's not very nice.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
That's why I didn't include a picture with my story :p
Yuck.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!
hope u didnt eat right before u saw that pic!

new topics

top topics

join