It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passengers should pay global carbon tax, says British Airways chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Passengers should pay global carbon tax, says British Airways chief

www.timesonline.co.uk

Airline passengers should pay a global tax on carbon and accept an increase in the cost of flying for the sake of the environment, the chief executive of British Airways has told The Times.

The airline is the first in the world to propose that all airline passengers should pay an additional sum which would be likely to rise steadily over time.

BA is proposing that the tax should raise at least $5 billion (£3 billion) a year to be used to combat tropical deforestation and help developing comp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Call me cynical but I'm almost certain the $5 billion raised will not end up helping to save the rain forrests!

Just another way of boosting airline profits if you ask me.

I'd maybe support an initiative to reduce emissions with new technology, rather than using carbon credits which are in themselves just another scam - a tool to be traded on the financial markets.

I'm still undecided on the whole global warming issue to begin with. Not if it's happening, just whether humans are entirely responsible.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Riiiiiiiiiiight, to help deforestation. I have an idea...... maybe BA could lead the way, contribute several million to a vetted organization that actually did something, say.... replanting. Then, after they've shown their mettle, some of the taxation could be shunted over to reimburse them. That way, we know their motives are pure. *snicker*

I would be against any taxation or increase in costs that had the word "carbon" or "green" in them. Why? Because it's an implied must-do, and I think there are people capitalizing on those terms that don't seem to give much of a damn about the very ecology they are touting.

Then, after the program is underway, we can lobby the airlines for seats that are more than 13 1/2 inches wide.
That'd make less passengers, but also less weight, and tall (6'3) people like me wouldn't have to have half a bun floating out in the aisle

yeah, I know. Really pressing issue for humanity.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

If I were a stockholder in British Airways I would move to remove his butt from his position. A carbon tax on airlines would kill and already crippled industry. If he is too stupid to realize that, he needs to find another job. Maybe he could take his millions to the rain forest, buy a shovel, some land, and some seeds and get to planting.

top topics

join