It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pupils to be taught 'how to think' in GCSE-style course

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Pupils to be taught 'how to think' in GCSE-style course

www.telegraph.co.uk

They will be taught the difference between an argument and a rant and how to separate fact from opinion, it was disclosed.

Topics covered in the new course - drawn up by one of Britain's biggest exam boards - will include debate over the existence of UFOs, a belief in the after life and arguments for and against euthanasia.

In the first move of its kind, the "Thinking and Reasoning Skills" qualification will be offered next year following claims from universities and employers that young people lack basic skills.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
How to think? Sure the children now are lacking in critical thinking skills... but this is just ridiculous. I just hope this country doesn't set an example for the rest of the world. Like the USA for example... The line between drone and human is becoming a lot smaller.

Also, UFOs? Just what in the hell? The government is going a little too far on this one.

www.telegraph.co.uk (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
After starting my first college courses at a local community college I can assure you that this crap is already in progress and kids are buying it. To me this appears to be coming out of the closet on an issue that's already been going on at most colleges.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Although I find this rather sad... You still need to go beyond the bigger picture here.

I think that they are teaching people how to grasp arguments and to still push their opinions with out gaining aggression.

In other words, they are not going to be banishing or stealing opinions, they are just showing them how they can push their views further.

So, with regards to the UFO's, I doubt they will be closeing the students minds to the possibility. Instead they are just using a (in some eyes) taboo subject which many people have different views on, thus creating an excellent atmosphere for discussion.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by Kliskey]

[edit on 10/6/2009 by Kliskey]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i dont see the problem with this i mean im sure them learning arguments and how to properly articulate their side is a good thing, its basically just a debate class

and whats wrong with learning about ufos, and other unacceptable ideas that many people have

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea and one that is akin to taking a logic class...

They will be taught the difference between an argument and a rant and how to separate fact from opinion, it was disclosed.

This can only enhance a persons capacity to communicate their thoughts and ideas...as these boards are evidence that many here have difficulty responding to a topic or post without making presumptions upon the poster.

I personally think that this is a great idea...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
thank you as i always got in trouble for having alternative opinions then my teachers and trying to hold discussions with them where i was usually told to shut up i would have love to have a debate help class that would help me better in my arguments

wish my school had one of these or even an alternative topic debate class

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure where the content of the article comes from. Separating fact from opinion is taught from at least age 11. In Years 10 and 11 (age 14-16), euthanasia or the death penalty are often used as part of the English GCSE (AQA, OCR) and have been for years. They are a mainstay of the National Curriculum. Students can either use the topics as a presentation (IEC) or take part in a discussion. Some teachers have used UFOs, Bermuda Triangle or ghosts as a way to encourage critical thinking for years.

As teachers are increasingly limited to 'teaching to the test,' critical thinking isn't what it was. Colleges and especially Universities are getting students unable to write a report in the 3rd person. There isn't anything new in the article apart from the introduction of a short course on critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
hmmmm a class that teaches children how to think on a higher level?

why didnt they do this sooner

CX

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea. It's not them telling you what you should be thinking.

Teaching people the difference between a rant and an arguement is always a good thing....i can think of a few people not too far from here who would benefit from the course lol.

CX.

[edit on 10/6/09 by CX]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Having found out that they used mind control in schools in london in 1992. This should be given to all students as fact, so kids know they use electronic mind control on students in england to push people in certain ways.

If you step out of line in school and there is a serious chance you will have electronic mind control used on you in england.

So kids will be taught this fact will they, lol.

My life proved it is a fact that they use electronic mind control in school in 1992, so when are they going to tell every student?

CX

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thats quite a claim Andy. I've heard you mention this mind control thing in other threads, but it's use in schools is a new one on me.

Any chance of more details if it's not too personal? Thats worthy of a thread of it's own if you ask me.

CX.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I personally have been a strong supporter of "How to Think" vs. "What to Think" in primary education.

If you teach a child language and reading skills, and then teach them Reasoning, Logic, and Rhetoric, then they are fully skilled and capable of learning any subject for themselves. At that point, the Educational System is nothing more than a Peer Group that provides insight and suggestive guidance to the student.

That was how the Talented and Gifted Program I was in as a child did it. I was doing critical readings of Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy's War and Peace, studying Calculus and Physics, teaching myself Hebrew, Coptic and Hieroglyphic, and so forth, long before the age of 10!

A child who possess the skills to think rationally, has the ability to not only educate themselves, but more importantly, to think for themselves!

Traditional methods of education, that instruct what to think by rote, are severely limited as the student can only aspire to the limits of their teacher's knowledge. In addition, they do not allow for a child to understand or comprehend the material, as well as promote a cram and forget mentality.

If it was good enough of a method for Pythagoras, Socrates, and Plato to base their Schools on, then it should be good enough for us as well.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Actually one of my kids is already doing something leading up to this in "primary school" ! It's called PFC philosophy for children.

My son more often than not enjoys this class, needless to say the very first discussion was about religion ! Yup that's right 11 year olds already embroiled in the religion debate.

I do think it's healthy for the kids to learn to reason and develop critical thinking skills instead of ranting off and mimicking their parents views (guess it wouldn't have hurt me any to have these lessons lol) as long as the teacher is not implanting ideas in their heads.

As a matter of fact I would expect a teacher of far greater caliber for this job than let's say art or pe.

new topics

top topics

join