It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London police accused of waterboarding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

London police accused of waterboarding

edition.cnn.com

The conduct of six suspended London metropolitan police officers is under investigation, Scotland Yard confirmed, amid British reports they allegedly waterboarded drug suspects.

Police officials did not elaborate on why the officers were under investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

According to the Scotland Yard Tuesday, a fellow officer came forward with information which "raised concerns about the conduct of a small number of officers on Enfield borough" in connection to the arrests of five people in November. The department's investigation resulted in a ref
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The Guantanamo torture method is raising concern as the method is torture. The debate over waterboarding may be new, but the practice is not.

In the US the torture method is not legal. The practice has been fairly common in part because those who practice it say it combines the advantages of being unpleasant enough to make people talk while still not causing permanent injury

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I did not know that it was common.

But for a drug crime? Really? I personally have no tolerance for drugs and their crimes, but that seems a little... extreme. I could see getting a homicide/rape suspect or something to confess by waterboarding... but this seems kind of ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I could see getting a homicide/rape suspect or something to confess by waterboarding...

Torturing a suspect to confess?

Then you would only ever need to have one suspect....

and they wouldn't even have to be guilty of the crime either.

*If torture works, then Women really can fly on broomsticks, and really did sex with Lucifer whilst making devilish pacts.

Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Torture is not only obscene, but is totally unreliable. Given enough torture, anyone will confess to anything. No justice is served. Although I doubt the Police were actually after a confession, but were probably just giving this guy a hard time for whatever reason, which is even worse!

Thankfully, a civilian employee of the Met raised the alarm and it is now under investigation, but after the G20 debacle, where I did defend the Police to an extent, I am now beggining to wonder if my faith in them was misplaced. I find it very difficult to envisage a scenario were 6 officers could get away with this if their superiors were not aware, or worse, complicit.

[edit on 10/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I hope this came to the seizure of hundreds of kilos of coke; or crack; or weed. Something that has the end justify the means. Maybe some importers got busted or something. If not, then water boarding is over the top. There are other methods to get info from a druggie.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

Even if they managed to bring down the whole world Heroin or cocain (they can leave weed alone..who does it harm, really?) trade from this, it is still not a good enough reason to torture someone, IMO.

[edit on 10/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'm totally surprised that the article says that this was reported by a fellow officer. I guess there are still few good ones out there, too bad the athmosphere in policeland is such that it's almost impossible for them to speak out.
Kinda freaky since it was mere weeks ago when it was said many times in the media and here that "if it's not torture then why not let police do it too?".

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
To all the people who defended the met in the vicious G20 attacks by the police.

Have your opinions changed anymore?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
To all the people who defended the met in the vicious G20 attacks by the police.

Have your opinions changed anymore?

I wasn't a member on ATS at the time of the G20 protests. I was however on my first ever protest at the G20. Having always been a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to these things I was stunned by the police tactics. It really was an eye opener and pretty scary vision of the future.

I think we need to ask, who in there right mind wants to be a Police officer. from what it looked like at the G20 was a bunch of right wing thugs. You only have to look at the new uniforms they are trialing. black combat pants and black shirts and cap, gone are the white short sleeves and traditional hat.

new topics

top topics

join