It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Most Massive Black Hole to Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Yahoo! News

PASADENA, CALIF. — The most massive black hole yet weighed lurks at the heart of the relatively nearby giant galaxy M87.

The supermassive black hole is two to three times heftier than previously thought, a new model showed, weighing in at a whopping 6.4 billion times the mass of the sun. The new measure suggests that other black holes in nearby large galaxies could also be much heftier than current measurements suggest, and it could help astronomers solve a longstanding puzzle about galaxy development.

"We did not expect it at all," said team member Karl Gebhardt of the University of Texas at Austin.

The discovery was announced here today at the 214th meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

Wow just wow. There are times in my life when I am struck by just how tiny we truly are.

6.4 billion times the mass of our Sun. That's extremely hard to comprehend... That's comparing a speck of sand to a beach!

It's the universe just awesome?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You will get few replies but mine is as spoken.

Dmn!

That is incredibly freaking, gigantically, exponentially, gargatious, madeupwordatiously, huge hole.

Makes it hard to believe that out of all the little specks of things out there, we're still discovering new, and better things.

To think we're the only ones in this universe is bad logic for my likings, but that's something else.

To add as a closing, i'm glad we're nowhere near that disaster.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
So they didn't actually find anything?

They didn't actually find a black hole.

They didn't actually calculate the weight.

They didn't even verify the hypothesis that there is a black hole at the center of galaxies!

Instead they created a model based on our current incomplete understanding of mathematics and added to that model numerous unfounded assumptions about cosmology and used that to predict the probably size of what is hypothesised by some to be at the center of most galaxies. Which means these guys have learned something just a little less valuable than absolutely nothing.

Let us place the people who make climate models, the people who make cosmological models, and the people who make economical models into a wet paper bag. We can then take bets on which one will first create a computer model that will allow them to escape.

Jon

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Nice, more holes !!

And, another 'expert' saying: We didnt know that , we are shocked !!!

If I got a dollar every time they sayd that, Id have about 200 dollars now !

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

And I used to think this is the most massive black hole to date

www.space.com...

@ 18 billion solar mass, that's way more than 6.4 billion!! Unless I'm missing something...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This is weird coming across this thread. As i had a dream they launched the hadron collidor and it made a huge hole in the sky and we started to get swallowed then i woke up. LOL think i need to take a break from ATS reading.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Aha, the invisible mass rules!

Now this explains everything. We are just a collateral dust orbiting the invisible masters of the Universe.

So, very soon, scientists will announce that the famous "universal constant", which applies only to this collateral physical world, isn't really much of a law, compared to these entities beyond our perception.

There is God, and it's sitting on the Black Throne

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ongoing discussion...

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join