It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada threatens US with 'Don't Buy American'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Maybe if this thing goes through we will stop seeing: Made in China on everything...

I find this upcoming policy a grievous insult to all our fellow countries.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You need to buy a damn passport to get into Canada now. So basically, the US government can imprison you within American borders if it wishes.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by ohioriver

Unfortunetly that is not how things work. Americans introduced free trade as a way to help all countries expand economically and be able to provide a wide variety of goods and services to most industrialized nations.

The fact that the US is going backwards on this policy is not only a sign of political change and economic protectionism, but it is also hurting all other nations.

The US imports MORE than it exports. They dont' make very much, but the things they do make, are very important.

This buy only American serves only to make the price more so less work can be done in a longer period of time.

The US isn't the only country suffering, and pusing ideals like this won't help anybody. This could lead to the mother of all trade wars.

~Keeper

What exactly does the U.S. export to Canada? The U.S imports alot of oil and timber products from Canada. Why would a "don't buy American" campagin cause much effect in the U.S.? One would think a "don't sell to America" campagin would have more effect,if you wanted to strain the U.S. economy.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Maybe if this thing goes through we will stop seeing: Made in China on everything...

I find this upcoming policy a grievous insult to all our fellow countries.

I don't see it as an insult. I see it as self preservation. Trade,export/import has been way out of balance for years. No country can survive long when it imports far more than it exports. There is an extreme exchange of wealth that takes place. A great net boon for the exporting country,great net loss for the importing country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join