It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway to launch world's 1st floating wind turbine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Norway's Statoil petroleum company is set to establish the world's first floating wind turbine off the country's coastal area.

According to the company's Alexandra Beck Gjorv, Hywind will "help move offshore wind farms out of sight" and push offshore wind farms farther away from areas where they cause disruption.

Offshore wind farms are more expensive than land wind farms, but floating turbines will not cost more than fixed ones over time, insisted Ms Gjorv.

This would also promote military radar operations, the shipping industry, fisheries, bird life and tourism, she said.

Source

This is great!

If this works out, it'll mean there can't be any more argument about wind energy looking ugly or hurting the birds. We can just put them out on the coast, in the middle of the Atlantic.

Maybe we could put them on the Google server floating thingy's they have.

What are your thoughts?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Hi there

I am from Norway, and this is something that makes me really proud to be a norwegian. This will be the beginning for something big for my country. I know they plan to have so many turbines placed in the water, that it theoretical will produce enough energy for the whole european continent...
This is Norways step to become independent of fossil fuel, and to make a first example that it IS possible to overcome the golden age of oil, and not to mention this will make governments to rethink what they do...
I believe USA will be one of the countries next to try this out...

So star and flag for you!! We need more positive news like this

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by noroman

We certainly do.

Of all the countries in Europe, Norway is perhaps one of my favorite. A very open minded and willing to try new things kind of place.

The seed vaults and now these advances in alternative energy are going to make them alot of money and provide alot of respect politically when everybody is trying to get a piece of this cake.

It will be the start of something big. If it works out, we could see sea based land farms everywhere.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think it would be pretty cool to have one of these in conjunction with a floating home. It would make a nice getaway. You could be self contained, sufficient. Could catch fish and make all the sushi you want! Also would be great for astronomy (far from light pollution).

top topics

join