It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK 'must log' phone and web use

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

UK 'must log' phone and web use

news.bbc.co.uk

All internet and phone traffic should be recorded to help the fight against terrorism, according to one of the UK's former spy chiefs.

Civil rights campaigners have criticised ministers' plans to log details of such contact as "Orwellian".

But Sir David Pepper, who ran the GCHQ listening centre for five years, told the BBC lives would be at risk if the state could not track communication.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
No doubt our lousy government will give this man what he wants and take us yet another step towards a world that is very similar if not more extreme than that described in Orwell's 1984, they already seems to be using this book as an instruction manual and this will just another step in that direction. if we have so many people that are a threat in our country then why did this government let them in in the first place? and why haven't they deported or imprisoned them rather than impinging on the freedoms of the law abiding majority?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

They all ready do this do they not.

I wouldnt trust the media as they tend to print articles repeatedly over a number of years to brainwash the masses.

Have a look at this for example,

www.guardian.co.uk...

The UK government already watches your every move, intercepts emails, calls and internet traffic etc.

Its already here and by the time everyone else notices it will be far to late because it already is unfortunately.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
well look on the bright side

at least they will be Admitting they log all your communication now

yesterday they lied about it

because its a fact that we have all been monitored BEFORE the Internet even came out!

research the NSA

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I couldn't imagine living in the UK during this day and age. The US is bad enough.

I would not be surprised to see a big backlash against the "big brother" government in the UK very soon.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
When those freedom hating scumbags in government get what they deserve, we'll just say ``we must HANG you``... no reason, we just must... that's what you told to us when you took away our rights... when I read that kind of news, I just become all stabby.

Not 50 years ago, those politicians would have been attacked in the streets. 150 years ago they would have been lynched on the spot. We need some cowboy justice around here.

We should invade the UK and do some regime change.
And we'll clean the whole Queen BS. The ``royal`` family should be erased from history books, that kind of trash don't deserve the ink it needs to be written.

The ``royal`` family is nothing more than a Kim-Jong Il dynasty with an english name.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

A lot of the people who originate from the UK want regime change as well
just gonna get worse from what i can see though

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Wow the UK's obsession with terrorism is getting crazier and crazier. Glad I don't live there, sounds like Nazi Germany almost.

Jeez the world is getting so messed up... who knows what it'll be like fifty years from now.

[edit on 7/6/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

I do have to add this.

We had a lot of articles like this at the beginning of the year

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

We had G20 riots etc. The banking crisis, they even printed the home address of Fred Goodwin (RBS chief at the time) who recieved a massive bonus people read that then smashed up his home just as they wanted them too. news.bbc.co.uk...

Around 15000 people per month are losing their jobs in the UK right now and waking up to find out the government is not supporting them yet speeling nonsense on tv about how supported we all are.

We have a huge expenses scandal in the UK right now involving every politican but the media is remaining almost entirely focused on the current government leadership. Look at the past for a little refresher, Gordon Brown became PM when Tony Blair left and was allowed to bypass a general election. What might happen if Brown is kicked out?
This is another fine example of what could be going on here as well, also how angry would people be if Brown was kicked out and a new leader refused to call an election just as Brown did? The riots would be here.

Now this headline pops up speaking about monitoring everyone, its already sealed signed and delivered. Has been for some time but through all this if you ask a simple question while observing and the question is Why?

It becomes obvious that the UK citizens are being baited. They want everyone to riot, it will serve as a justifiable means for ID cards with rfid chips coming in, more anti terror laws, more monitoring, more police and more liberity restrictions and thats just a start.

Dont take the bait.

But in my opinion yet again this is all going to be a fine example of hook line and sinker followed by people asking how this happened etc.

Like a mouse to cheese the government and media must be thinking.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi All,

Long time reader of ATS and apprieciate the different views and articles. I wonder if any one can tell me how to hide or make it more difficult for the UK goverment to track my e-mail and internet usage ?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jpmail

Look, The UK government has never had a centralized system for anything, EVER.

Case in point:
Child Support Agency Fiasco

Software problems of the CSA

They could not organize a piss-up in a brewery, to be honest and there's simply not the money to do it. Why they say that they will do it and not have the means to back up the claim is beyond me but I suspect it is just a desperate ploy to keep undesirables out. So...

Don't believe those Bond movies. It cannot be done...YET.

[edit on 7/6/09 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Nothing really. Perhaps find an ISP that is most likely to put up resistance when asked for information on you.

That's even if the security services need that permission/access. With their budgets and post-terrorism laws they can probably look you up at any time they want.

Edit: How do you know they can't? For the most part the 3 agencies are pretty secretive. As for money why wouldn't they have all the money they need? It's a fascist government's eyes and ears.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by AR154]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by AR154]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
just a point of interest, the local council in town centre employee chappies as litter wardens, good idea you might think, but these guys have glasses with mini cameras on them to play back the alleged littering offence, how long before dodgy laws are introduced to expand these guys duty to other more sinister dutys,

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

here was a tread on here last year about traffic wardens been given warrant arrest cards. Because of some future event the police were going to be very busy just keeping order.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Not 50 years ago, those politicians would have been attacked in the streets. 150 years ago they would have been lynched on the spot. We need some cowboy justice around here.

Wow I wish I was around that long ago. Being a young Brit, I've never experienced living in a country that is actually run by its citizens.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AR154

I don't know they can't, I am just saying it is a distinct possibility. Just think of the technology, the people, the money it requires when actually more people die of traffic accidents, cancer, heart disease etc than of terrorist attacks! Why announce that you are doing it? Why make the terrorist aware that they need to watch their step and go even MORE underground? You see, terrorists do pretty much the same. They announce that they will do something and more often than not, not do it. Just threatening is enough to create absolute chaos. Smoke and mirrors is what I believe is going on here.

[edit on 7/6/09 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

i am aware this is off topic.. but are litter/traffic wardens accredited law enforcement officers, can i refuse to accept the penalty on the grounds that their sub contractors, and not a law enforcement agency employed by HM govt.. just a query chaps

[edit on 7-6-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Have you tried refusing?

Try it and a police officer will take you to a police station and fine you.

Ive saw it happen with my own eyes in Glasgow when a work colleague dropped a cigarette butt and laughed off the patrols trying to fine them. They called for police officers. End result was a trip to court and a fine.

They do what they please in this country and constantly crap on the UK constitution, hardly anyone knows we even have one. Most laugh at you if you dare mention its existence.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

That isn't quite true... GCHQ has been able to intercept all satellite bounced communication for years, since the late 1970's at least - this includes any number of telephone calls. They have the capacity to intercept internet traffic and land-line calls via digital exchanges although this requires a little bit of legwork and "agreement" from infrastructure providers.

The key here is that monitoring is performed on a selective basis, requiring targeted data acquisition, rather than a slurry pipe that feeds "everything" straight to them.

In terms of hiding your data, for text messages the best thing is still code rather than verbatim text encryption since encryption relies on an algorithmic process and can be reverse engineered. Codes, although generally relying on a single "firewall" of ambiguity are very effective when used in multiphase encoding processes. The trouble is that they are quite cumbersome when encoding a large amount of data and so encryption is generally used in its stead.

With word ambiguity in place and referenced by replacement indexes (i.e. like page, line, word position in a book) you have an incredibly effective tool as long as the integrity of the encoding reference is secure.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

In terms of hiding your data, for text messages the best thing is still code rather than verbatim text encryption since encryption relies on an algorithmic process and can be reverse engineered. Codes, although generally relying on a single "firewall" of ambiguity are very effective when used in multiphase encoding processes. The trouble is that they are quite cumbersome when encoding a large amount of data and so encryption is generally used in its stead.

With word ambiguity in place and referenced by replacement indexes (i.e. like page, line, word position in a book) you have an incredibly effective tool as long as the integrity of the encoding reference is secure.

I am sure that they monitor a certain amount of communication based on random samples in which they will look for certain words/numbers. However, this is saying they will monitor and log ALL phone and web communication. I don't think it is feasible, to be honest. And as you say here, it is a hassle to use code so everyone will encrypt their messages. So at some point they will have to invest even more to crack the encryption that EVERYONE is going to use. I am just not convinced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join