It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada refuses U.S. request to accept Chinese Muslims from Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Canada refuses U.S. request to accept Chinese Muslims from Guantanamo

www.cbc.ca

Canada has turned down a request from the U.S. government to take in a number of Chinese Muslims currently being held at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility and deemed by Washington to be members of a terrorist group.

Kory Teneycke, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, acknowledged Thursday that they received an inquiry from the Obama administration about taking in some detainees.

"The government had a previous request from the Bush administration and in both cases the governme
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I find this very interesting, and i'm confused as to what to think about it.

I guess it would have been much better news if Canada had a clean platter. But they were Canadian troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan, so perhaps it plays a role.

I don't know I guess i'm more happy though, this allows Canada to further exclude itself from being a dangerous place and would therefore require less regulation.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The Canadian government has undoubtedly made the right call .
Notice how the US isnt so keen on taking enemy combatants that are supposedly not a threat to anybody . Closing is an extremely dumb idea all a round and the alternative of preventive detention is by far worse . I would be dead set against New Zealand taking any former Guantanamo Bay detainees .

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Canada doesn't want to make themselves a terrorist threat.

Smart move on their part. Doesn't matter for the USA...which is why we should hold them in the country...we already hold convicted terrorists anyway....not to mention...serial killers, child molesters, rapists, and murderers.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
lol. Why am I not suprised?

From the get go I have said "LEAVE GUANTANAMO ALONE".
I think if they get sent to supermax prison systems, they will be wishing to be back in Guantanamo. In these prisons, it wont be the guards they have to worry about. After that, they would be begging for the water boarding.
Either way, I dont care what happens to them, as long as they are locked up and not able to get out, thats all I care about.

btw..I think any of the countries or states Whom have issues with G BAY should be the ones who take these people in since they care so damn much. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Obama just can't export the problem somewhere else.
If he's so clever, he should come up with a better solution than just dumping the problem off on others.

If he's going to export them, then give them a plane ticket back home and let their governments worry about it.

Otherwise, just put them on trial and lock them up in maximum security in isolation ,if they are found guilty.

join