It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Plays the Koran like a Violin to Woo the Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Obama's Speech Inspires Searches

I read this and my mind had a stop-reread-that-sentence-moment a few times.

Here's what caught my eye:

It is interesting, though not particularly surprising, that the President played up his ties to Islam during his visit... something his campaign downplayed during the election.

I'm trying to look at this from an analytical point of view but it's not working for me. Anyone else find his flip flopping disturbing?
If our president cant be truthful with his own people about his travels... I'm leaving this open ended because I really want to hear your views on this.

Here's another bit:

Just as notable was the President's omission of a very controversial word: terrorism. Politico explains that this was likely a very conscious decision on Obama's part. Instead of the "t-word" in his speech, Obama used the word "extremism" to get his point across. "Islam is not part of the problem in combating violent extremism," Obama said. "It is an important part of promoting peace."

Oh yay, finally someone who understands what our Middle Eastern friends have been saying since the beginning. Of course it's the extreme part of society that is waging war on you silly, what you think an Islamic house wife really wants to blow you up when she has a family to look after... Someone get Cheney and have him 'accidently' shoot Bush for making most of America mistrust Arabs.
I just read that and thought: Oh you kiss a##!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I am becoming more and more concerned about this guy by the day. It seems like each new thing we find out about him just blows my mind.

And what's worse is that some people still look up to him as if he is some sort of living God who can do no wrong. He's totally infallible in their eyes.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
His speech writers went to town to pander to the audience there.
That was the purpose .. pandering to the middle east audience.

But of course Obama is rather well versed on his own as well ...

New York Times - Obama, Man of the World

Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it’ll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”

The words to what Obama calls 'one of the prettiest sounds on Earth' - which he knows by heart in Arabic - and which he repeats in 'first rate accent' -

Islam on line

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar.

Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest.

Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah.

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah.

Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah.

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah.

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah.

I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah.

I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah

Hayya ‘ala-s-Salah, hayya ‘ala-s-Salah.

Hasten to the Prayer, hasten to the Prayer.

Hayya ‘ala-l-falah, hayya ‘ala-l-falah.

Hasten to real success, hasten to real success

La ilaha illa-llah

There is none worthy of worship but Allah.

I wonder if Obama chanted along when the 'call to prayer' went out while he was in Egypt? It would have made the Egyptians rather happy. Considering how Obama loves to pander to whoever he's with at the moment ... it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
This reminds me of the episode of Dr Who when the Master becomes Saxon and wins the General election by a landlide however it was all mind control and everything about his past was a lie, he then destroys the world
I would have loved him to have recited the prayer before he was elected, it seems the change everyone wanted is happening for good or bad

I find this very worrying as there is so many slip ups coming out about his Islamic faith and now this, I think he might need to invest in a bigger security team if he wants to visit Dallas

[edit on 5/6/09 by On the level]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
I would have loved him to have recited the prayer before he was elected,

Apparently he did. According to the article, the interview was taped and Obama did indeed chant the 'call to prayer' for the author of the article. The author said it was in perfect accent so it had obviously been chanted before and often. (IMHO - recently as well, otherwise the accent would not be 'perfect')

So the New York Times had a tape, before the election, of Obama chanting this prayer. They sat on it. Since the New York Times has left wing bias, it's my guess that they destroyed it in order to help Obama with the election.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

It is interesting, though not particularly surprising, that the President played up his ties to Islam during his visit... something his campaign downplayed during the election.

I'm trying to look at this from an analytical point of view but it's not working for me. Anyone else find his flip flopping disturbing?

Tent, this is not flip-flopping.

Nowhere has he claimed he was a Muslim, but rather played up his understanding of Islam and the Muslim faith. He does have ties to Islam via his family. This is something stated on numerous occasions. There was no need to overtly express this during the campaign because it wasn’t about who was close to any Muslims or had family that practiced.

He is trying to reach out to the Middle East.
A place where his understanding of Islam may be beneficial.
It is a relevant point to make.

Finding commonalities, even through Islam, is a way to lower the barriers.
This is not indicative of a vile person, a terrorist, or the anti-Christ. Perhaps his familiarity with Islam will help bridge the divide and ease tensions. We all do this in some fashion to reach out to a new person or a group that we are trying to break the ice with.

Violence, condemnation, and dismissive attitudes aren’t working.

I am willing to try an olive branch approach. It’s a concept the last president seemed ignorant of, in spite of his Christian faith. Even still, all Presidents pander to some extent, yet it seems unbelievable, offensive or astounding to see this one do it.

Let me ask you this, what is the problem with having ties to Islam, be it through a relative or close friend?

Is there something wrong with being Muslim, once being Muslim at some point, or having Muslim relatives?

I get the impression from all the shock that some people feel a United States President with ties to a religion other than Christianity is somehow a threat to the world.

I think a lot of fears, paranoia and prejudices are being revealed of late.
These "Manchurian" conspiracies that are being batted around are pretty ridiculous.

I feel like some people are waiting for him to pull off his mask and reveal he is Osama Bin Laden.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

The only problem for the muslims over there with Obama's muslim roots is that he may be seen as a traitor for having left Islam.

Obama's father was Muslim. Obama went to Muslim school and Quran classes. His siblings are still muslim. He stated all this publically over there. He is not now a practicing Muslim and therefore the hardliners overthere may see him as having fallen away from Islam - a 'crime' (in their eyes) as something worthy of death.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So the New York Times had a tape, before the election, of Obama chanting this prayer. They sat on it.

Probably because they realize it doesn't matter that a man can recite a Muslim prayer, Buddhist chant, or the Lords prayer. Those things aren't evidence of anything sinister save for the paranoid and bigoted.

That proves absolutely nothing other than the fact that he knows the prayer.

What is wrong with this?

I can recite the Lord's Prayer.
I memorized it at an early age.
Does that make me a Christian?

If you answer "yes" then you are making a major assumption.
You do know what assumptions do, right?

- Lee

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The only thing we know about obama is he is not a christian and laughs about our faith in christ.

Personally i think he is into voodoo. Do not a lot of people into the occult, learn all different types of religions etc in there quest.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
You cover 2 topics ...

During the election, he threw everyone under the bus, no matter how close to him, that could detract from his being elected. The closer it came to the election, the more alone he seemed. Having virtually no one by his side left to vouch for him. Good thing, because he ran out of buses to through people under.

It should be clear, all of the campaign promises were going to be broken. I was amazed at how he's done a complete 180º turn on every promise and he's shown himself to be the worst kind of politician.

It's unfortunate that the simple morons that were severely deceived are the very same ones that are called Americans and still have their heads in the sand. Let us pray. (Is there really any other way?)

Here's another bit:

Just as notable was the President's omission of a very controversial word: terrorism. Politico explains that this was likely a very conscious decision on Obama's part. Instead of the "t-word" in his speech, Obama used the word "extremism" to get his point across. "Islam is not part of the problem in combating violent extremism," Obama said. "It is an important part of promoting peace."

The Cairo speech, and all of his publicized events since arriving overseas. have become one more huge event of throwing all of America under the bus. Watch for this behavior to continue if we let him back into the country.

This is why no one knows him. He sways with the wind, dances like a puppet. He's worse than a car salesman.

Now that we own GM; we don't need to target our congressmen, we can have our congress safely transferred to their other governmental departments ... [color=gold] within GM...

Transfer them all to the sales lots; where they belong.

EDIT: Yep, this is an 'Obama bashing' reply... While we still can...

[edit on 6·5·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
That proves absolutely nothing other than the fact that he knows the prayer. What is wrong with this?

I'm not saying anything is wrong with him knowing the prayer.
I'm saying that there is something wrong when a 'news' source
sits on facts about a potential POTUS in order to swing an election.

You do know what assumptions do, right?

Actually, I think YOU just assumed something with me that wasn't there.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Personally i think he is into voodoo.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it .. I think his religion is PANDER

When he's with Muslims he plays up his Muslim side.
When he's with Christians he claims Christian and quotes the bible.
When he's with left coasters he ridicules those who 'cling to guns and religion'.
When he's with the Black Liberation Theology bunch, he nods his head like a bobble head and whines (in his books) about how the white man is to blame for everything wrong in the world. "that's how white folks will do you ... '

His religion is pander.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

reply to post by lee anoma

The only problem for the muslims over there with Obama's muslim roots is that he may be seen as a traitor for having left Islam.

That is possible.
I suppose we will have to wait and see how this goes over.

If nothing comes out of it, then he can be added to the list of Presidents that have made attempts to try and sort out the problems in the middle east and not come away having resolved much of anything.

The ignorant people that would be eternally angry at him for having left Islam, will add him to the list of Presidents that they despise and not much will be resolved due to their lack of tolerance and understanding. Those same people probably despised Bush too.

Basically it would be what usually happens.
No harm, no foul.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I'm not saying anything is wrong with him knowing the prayer.
I'm saying that there is something wrong when a 'news' source
sits on facts about a potential POTUS in order to swing an election.

Flyer that is something you attach importance too.
As I said, they probably didn't see it as being relevant, or maybe believed that in America such issues wouldn't matter.

A lot of people claim America is a land of freedom and everyone gets a fair chance at opportunity.

This line of thinking you have seems to indicate that to be a lie.

Why would it swing the election?
Do you believe Americans hate the idea of someone even memorizing a non-Christian prayer?

In any event, I am sure you will survive at least one term.

Actually, I think YOU just assumed something with me that wasn't there.

No I did not.
I said "if" for a reason.
I never claimed you actually answered anything.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Tent, this is not flip-flopping.

Nowhere has he claimed he was a Muslim, but rather played up his understanding of Islam and the Muslim faith. He does have ties to Islam via his family. This is something stated on numerous occasions. There was no need to overtly express this during the campaign because it wasn’t about who was close to any Muslims or had family that practiced.

This isnt even about his faith. I am not talking about his faith.
His general flip flopping on the things he says.

[edit on 6/5/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
He is probably best summed up with the old saying "He has more faces than big ben"
Agree with Tentikles and the other posters, with the religion as a side note he has not delivered on promises and seems to change his outlook depending on the company he is in. This is not the type of man we need at the moment, we need a person with integrity and a vision which is solid and a plan ahead, this all seems like trying to paper over the cracks. I do not believe the muslim world either wants or cares about peace or our culture and the comments about the Muslim world practically inventing Printing and Writing to the orgasm
most of the things he listed are of German or Chinese origin, not to slam the Muslim creative people out there but I think the Arab world produces about 2 book a year compaire to Scotland which creates Hundreds with a fraction of the population

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Personally i think he is into voodoo.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it .. I think his religion is PANDER

When he's with Muslims he plays up his Muslim side.
When he's with Christians he claims Christian and quotes the bible.
When he's with left coasters he ridicules those who 'cling to guns and religion'.
When he's with the Black Liberation Theology bunch, he nods his head like a bobble head and whines (in his books) about how the white man is to blame for everything wrong in the world. "that's how white folks will do you ... '

His religion is pander.

I know what you are saying, but i think he is into voodoo behind the scenes. One religion he seems to me to hate though is christiainty.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Anyone who knows my posts, knows I am not an Obama fan. I do think it is wise to quote the Koran as there is nothing like relating to a group through their own belief system. Given his background, he is able to pull this off without being booed.

There are many commonalities between the Bible and the Koran. When these two faiths start dwelling on their similarities rather than their differences good will will abound.

To be able to reach muslims and have them feel good about the leadership of our country is probably the greatest thing Obama will do as a President.

Now lets see what he can do to get the oil prices down.

[edit on 6/5/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

The problem with that is the Muslim World is now just going to push Obama to do what they want.

Pandering and appeasement doesn't get you anywhere. They are just going to take this is as a sign of weakness and see what else they can push to get out of him.

The only thing that is going to fix US - Muslim relations is for the US to convert completely to Islam and practice Sharia law. In the meantime they will just use us to push their agenda then turn on us when it no longer convenient.

The US can't be friends with everybody and you can't make everybody happy, and that is exactly what he is trying to do, appease everyone.

top topics

join