It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world according to the Vatican ... Grow more GM crops!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
First the article:

THE Vatican seldom approves of scientists meddling with God's creation. So the decision of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences to back oft-demonised genetically modified crops as an answer to world hunger and poverty may come as a surprise.

GM crops were heartily endorsed at a week-long seminar held by the academy in mid-May. Participants agreed that the crops offer food safety and security, better health and environmental sustainability. That verdict is not shared by the International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development, a global UN-backed think tank that last year rejected GM as a solution to hunger.

Some say the seminar excluded dissenters within the church who fear that GM technology allows multinationals to control agriculture at the expense of the poor. But participants deny bias: they also concluded that regulations are too strict, so only big companies can afford to get GM crops approved, whereas non-profit organisations that want to help the poor cannot. newscientist

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

*sigh*

If these kind of declaration weren't so dangerous they would be humorous.

Someone at the Vatican' been watching Angels and Demons once too many times and decided to "bless" us with their scientific expertise.

Just as we keep discovering all the negative economic, physical, ecological, emotional (see Indian farmer suicides), and societal affects that GM crops rain down on our world the Vatican decides that they are a good idea.

Never mind all the evidence, the fact that country after country is making them illegal, and that even the UN, our NWO friends, are against them.

So let's wrap up the Catholic church's advice ...

Have more children and feed them with GM crops!

Terrific.

[edit on 4 Jun 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Science according to the Vatican:

“We didn’t invite a bunch of naysayers to the table, who are convinced that GMOs don’t work or who are going to make fallacious scientific arguments that have been rejected by the bulk of the scientific community and by the regulators who approved them,” said Bruce Chassy, a food safety expert at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

“This is not a ‘balanced’ meeting, in the sense that you bring every point of view to the table and seek some kind of idiotic consensus,”

Vatican study endorses GMOs for food security

Nice.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Nice.
Science/health advice from the church that burned witches, gays and heretics, protects paedophiles and bans condoms.

I suspect their little Nazi leader gets his finger-ring kissed during the day and his nasty ring kissed during the night.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
. . .

I misread this at first as:
"Have more children and feed them to GM crops!"

It sounded kind of prophetic, that way.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
O.M.G. stay away from GM foods, seriously, do not eat that....
Do research on morGellons diSease...

Those plant Genes are not good for you ..

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Let's focus for a minute on this interesting aspect:

... they also concluded that regulations are too strict, so only big companies can afford to get GM crops approved, whereas non-profit organizations that want to help the poor cannot. newscientist

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
(emphasis mine)

What are they saying here?

The church is "non-profit" and it also a multinational conglomerate.

Are they getting into the GM business?
Or are they stroking Monsanto and their ilk for GM food handouts?

I find their motivations dubious.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
. . .

I misread this at first as:
"Have more children and feed them to GM crops!"

Not too distant future.

"Feed me Seymour?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Wonder who the "panel" didn't invite ...

Check out this article from the National Catholic Reporter:

GMOs are going to create famine and hunger

While the Pontifical Academy for Sciences discussed the pros of genetically modified organisms on Monday, Columban Missionary Fr. Sean McDonagh was across Rome making the case for the "con" point of view. McDonagh organized a small demonstration near the Piazza del Popolo, which was joined by a few left-of-center political movements in Italy. A large banner read, "No to GMOs, yes to food security," and a smaller sign addressed the Vatican gathering: "Pontifical Academy of Sciences, do not ally with those who, promoting GMOs, contribute to hunger in the world. Listen to the words of the Holy Father!" A well-known writer on environmental themes, McDonagh is a veteran Irish missionary who spent more than 20 years in the Philippines. He's an outspoken critic of GMOs; in 2003, he published Patenting Life? Stop! Is Corporate Greed Forcing us to Eat Genetically Engineered Food? McDonagh spoke to NCR on the margins of the demonstration.

If you read the article you will see that this faction of the Catholic Church has it just about right.

So I ask you again my fellow ATS members, what is the Vatican up to?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Maybe they have bought shares in a GM food company, they need more avenues of income
In 2007 they were running at a loss due to a drop in the US Dollar.
www.cbc.ca...

The Holy See reports that the Vatican ran a deficit in 2007, hurt by the weak dollar affecting the value of generous collection baskets from U.S. faithful and by steep costs of running its media. The Vatican issued financial figures showing a nearly $13.5 million US deficit last year. It cited the sharp drop in the exchange rate for the U.S. dollar. The Vatican pays many of its expenses in euros, a currency that has soared against the U.S. dollar. The financial report, released by the Holy See's press office, listed revenues of $371.97 million against expenses of $386.27 million.

Then i came across this from only a few days ago. I don't know if it has anything to do with anything really but i find it odd that the Israel Government is holding money from the Catholic Church.
www.asianews.it...

Tel Aviv (AsiaNews) - The Chief Tax Collector at Israel's Finance Ministry, Yehezkel Abrahamoff, has notified institutions of the Catholic Church in Israel that he has seized their funds, in order to force them to submit at once to all of the fiscal demands that he considers applicable to them, ahead of the Agreement on the fiscal status of the Church, which is being negotiate, among other things, between the Holy See and the State of Israel.

Edit added source

[edit on 9/6/2009 by wycky]

new topics

top topics

join