It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arabs outraged by photos of U.S. forces humiliating Iraqis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Images of US Military soldeirs humiliating Iraqi prisoners appreared in newspapers all over the middle east on saturday creating outrage and anger among the Arab population. If things weren't bad enough already, this scandal is bound to make things worse in a region already full of anti-american sentiment.

Egypt's Akhbar el-Yom newspaper splashed photographs of the U.S. soldiers posing by naked, hooded inmates on page one with the banner headline "The Scandal." Al-Wafd, an opposition paper, displayed similar photos beneath the headline, "The Shame!"

President Bush has condemned the mistreatment, saying he shared "a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were treated." He said that is "not the way we do things in America."

Arabs first saw the photographs on the satellite television stations Al-Arabiya, based in the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar-based Al-Jazeera, which led their news bulletins with them Friday. Most newspapers don't publish on Fridays in the Arab world.

Six U.S. soldiers facing courts-martial in the abuse allegations have been reassigned in Iraq; their boss, Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade, and at least seven others have been suspended from their duties at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, according to the U.S. military.

Arabs outraged by photos of U.S. forces humiliating Iraqis

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Removing Saddam Hussein was supposed to end the torture, but photos of U.S. soldiers humiliating prisoners bring a horrific past back

BAGHDAD, Iraq - When he heard about the photos showing U.S. troops abusing Iraqi prisoners, Ghaleb Ribahi fumed. After he saw them with his own eyes, he understood why some Iraqis are fighting the U.S.-led occupation.

"These are the things that make Iraqis pick up a weapon and want to kill American soldiers," said Ribahi, 32, sipping sweet tea at a Baghdad coffeehouse Friday evening. "When I saw those pictures, I wanted to pick up a weapon, too."

Photos of torture reach Iraq

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
so much for image of the "proffessional u.s. army'

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Now CBS can stand under their own banner reading "Mission Accomplished". It's already started in Saudi Arabia this morning: 2 Americans, 2 Brits killed. We'll have to wait to see how successful ABC was last night before we'll allow them to hoist their banner.

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No outrage by the Arabs over the UK abuses as well Ocelot?

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
No outrage by the Arabs over the UK abuses as well Ocelot?

seekerof

I imagine so Seeker.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Just wondering Ocelot....
Looking at articles as we speak.

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Just wondering Ocelot....
Looking at articles as we speak.

seekerof

Well if you found something then please post it here.

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The US military should function to enforce the will and the security of the American people/government - and should perform their duties with a higher set of ideals and morality than the opposition.

These images therefore disgust me.

Strangely enough I was not opposed to the US colonel who fired shots near a captured insurgents' head to extract information from him... it worked and lives were potentially saved - but humiliation of this sort profits no one from an informational standpoint and is simply a barbaric act performed by fools and idiots.

What the military personnel in the Iraqi and Afghan theaters need to be aware of is they are ambassadors of each and every American, and I for one do not appreciate being represented in this way.

I say let an Iraqi tribunal try them, a US military court pronounce punishment and let them serve their time in Levenworth getting pissed on by the fellow prisoners who reside there.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

These images therefore disgust me.

Strangely enough I was not opposed to the US colonel who fired shots near a captured insurgents' head to extract information from him... it worked and lives were potentially saved - but humiliation of this sort profits no one from an informational standpoint and is simply a barbaric act performed by fools and idiots.

What the military personnel in the Iraqi and Afghan theaters need to be aware of is they are ambassadors of each and every American, and I for one do not appreciate being represented in this way.

I say let an Iraqi tribunal try them, a US military court pronounce punishment and let them serve their time in Levenworth getting pissed on by the fellow prisoners who reside there.

its war intelgurl ....what did you expect ?

you dont think this hasnt been happening all along.....?

if you look at the history of warfare the torture ,rape,humiliation of prisoners ....civilians ....happens in every conflict by every country ....were usually better at covering it up than most though.....
This kinda thing happened in wwii by our troops also but it was hushed up.....
The Russians had the rape of berlin and many women and children suffered horribly....
The Rape of nanking was equally terrible.....
ive heard terrible stories out of vietnam.....

The face of war is ugly and every country how ever morally responsible you think they are.... perpatrate theese heinous acts .......so if you support war .....you are supporting theese acts ...albeit indirectly ......they never the less will happen.....

my suggestion to anyone who hops on the war bandwagon should take the time to read the wisdom of the buddha regarding violence and knee jerk reactions to take action against aggressors....
Read the Dammapada and learn the lessons of laws that are ancient and inexhaustible.

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just curious. Do you think the Arab world would be less outraged if the pictures were of dead, burned, mutilated Arabs hung from bridges?

AF1

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I remember hearing about Saddam and all his torture chambers. After seeing these pics, why should the Iraqi people feel any differently about the US then they did Saddam?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
(CNN) -- Graphic pictures showing the apparent abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. and British soldiers in Iraq have angered Arabs across the world, as well as U.S. and British officials.

The images of U.S. soldiers' actions were first broadcast Wednesday by U.S. TV network CBS and then by Al-Arabiya network, based in the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar-based Al-Jazeera on Friday.

Newspapers across the Arab world ran the photographs of U.S. soldiers humiliating hooded, naked detainees at Abu Ghraib prison on their front pages. Newspapers in Iraq did not carry the photos.

The U.S. military said six soldiers have been charged with criminal offenses for abusing inmates at Abu Ghraib prison, which was infamous under Saddam Hussein's reign.

"It would appear to us that if, in fact, the pictures are what they appear to be, they will face a court of law, a criminal court of law, and they will have to face a judge and a jury for their actions," Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said.

Arabs repulsed, furious over prison photos

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
Just curious. Do you think the Arab world would be less outraged if the pictures were of dead, burned, mutilated Arabs hung from bridges?

Captured US pilots were beaten and tortured durring the first gulf war and there did not seem to be too much concern in the Arab world then.....

That being said, humane treatment of prisoners should always be observed and those who violate human/prisoner rights should be prosecuted.

I was disgusted when I saw those US/UK photos, just as I was disgusted when I saw burned and mutilated bodies being hung from a bridge.....

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don't condone bad treatment of prisoners, in fact that treatment really does not help obtain good information anyways.

My question to all those crying out with outrage at this is "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN SADDAM KILLED AND TORTURED 300,000 PEOPLE" em, thought so - was'nt conducive to your politics.

Neither situation is tolerable but if you kept silent in the past maybe you should do so now so as not to appear moraly hypocritical.

Dare I mention Rwanda?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
excellent!
here's a package with love from the good ol' US ya *MOD EDIT*!

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Was there Arab outrage over the four bodies burned and hung from a Fallujah bridge?

Was there Arab outrage over 911. Seems to me I remember Palistinians dancing jubilantly in the streets.

Frankly, I have been haunted since 1990 by the memory of the face of the Italian pilot that was shot down and captured over Bagdad, then paraded on world television.

I do not condone mistreatment of prisoners, period.
But I do question the supposed outrage that flows only one direction.

War is hell.

Those guilty of violating the Geneva Convention will be prosecuted by our side, of that fact we have no doubt.
What about those guilty of the same from 12 years ago? No one, to my knowledge has been held accountable for any of the brutality our coalitions soldiers, male and female suffered then.

Why is it the Arab street only goes one way?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
excellent!
here's a package with love from the good ol' US ya god damned brown lemmings!

What? Exactly what is that supposed to mean? "Brown lemmings"?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It may be a double standard, but, if we are what we claim to be, then we must live up to a higher standard. If we don't, then we're no different than what we're fighting against and we certainly don't have any right to be there.

Come to think of it. Even if we do take the high road, what "right" do we have in the first place?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The difference is:

High Moral Ground, depsite these pictures, we still have it. Why? Because those involved here will be punished. By our standards and laws. When people do bad # like this, they will be punished.

Has the Arab world cried out for punishment of the assholes who killed our guys? hell no. They are heros.

High moral ground.

When someone of our own people commits heinous acts, they shall suffer.

When one of thiers commits them, they praise them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join