It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

create your own self defense?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have always been interested in different fighting techniques since i was 7 years old, i use to create different type techniques that enabled me from been bullied or been at harm, since then i have developed those infancy techniques by been involved in other martial art class's and fighting sports such as boxing, I have also bought some books on kung fu, tia chi chun and videos on irish shillelagh and special force's combat training.

Although i don't consider myself an expert in any of the martial arts, and i am still learning all kinds of techniques including watching other animals fight and seeing different behavior and patterns i am wondering if any experienced material artist's or street fighter would believe it is possible to create your very own self defense technique's?

I would welcome any advice, and any nutritional information as well.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's very possible, Bruce Lee did it, the Military did it, Russia did it, etc.

The only thing about it though is you need somebody to practice with. If you did create your own techniques you want somebody to test them on and somebody to test them on you also. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with untested techniques.

Most street fighters though develop their own techniques, they usually develop their style by getting beat up though.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
well not all self defence styles are empty handed and if I had to say there is a new one very very few know about that's just freakin scary then that would have to be this one...
Dont blink while you watch the 26 second vid

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Did you see how fast he adjusted when he opened the door on the falling target? That was crazy.

The question is though do you think competition stress is good practice for combat stress? I guess it also depends on how you manage stress though too.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As you can tell from my avatar I too am a shooter and you'd be surprised at how when SHTF... training takes over and you just react rather then think... yes it works and that's why Marines train train and when the cant go on they train so more...it keeps you alive

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I train with my wife however i have a head guard so that she can give me full force on the head and i deflect her arms and legs by taking notice of were the limbs are moving however i do not use any force to her, i don't look at the eyes because they can be deceiving, I use to play soccer and when your a goal keeper and an attacker, the attacker will fool the goalkeeper by looking in other action and making his legs swerve to the other direction however then actually striking in a different direction, so in that sense, I am consequently always watching the flow of the arms, wrists, fingers, knee's, legs and feet. I am figuring out were I can bring down the opposite person so that either i can restrain them and call police or if it were an absolute risk to put them in coma for example, a home Bulgar.

I know were to hit to have someone un-fortunately pass away however because I have feelings and I have to carry on looking after my wife and family i wundt think about killing someone unless it was total social collapse and a world war had broken out, I would like to ask then, from your replies, were in fact do you all believe the natural instinct comes from to create all types of self defense?

Do you believe that the majority of individuals should keep their secrets to themselves? surly promoting global corporate martial art defense system is destroying the actual use of it in the first place? surly, by promoting it to so many people that eventually everyone is doing it and expecting what is to come, what would the point be in that?

How did bruce lee create his own system, was it not based on kung fu or was it a competently out of the head thing? can you name a few people besides the Russians etc on how they created their own martial arts and give me some links i and others who may find this thread interesting to look about?

I think, defense secrets should really be kept to one self however, if it helps those who really are at risk then so may it be you give a little give in that direction, dose anyone also know were i can find more information on the pressure zones onthe body and the tender tissue on the body?.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by deathpoet69]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
deathpoet69, you have some excellent questions. and hopefully I have some answers for you. this is from my favorite site. It falls under the category of Ugly Truths About Self Defense:• If you are NOT a cop, a soldier or a security professional and you get into a fight for any reason other than to defend your life or a loved one's from IMMINENT danger when you could have walked or run away, YOU are the problem (and a complete ass).

• Fighting to defend your "honor" from verbal assault makes you a criminal in the eye's of the law. Prepare to defend your honor in prison. The family that depends on you will really appreciate it.

• Learning self-defense to make you a "master street fighter," "dueler of death" or just a "bad-ass mo-fo" makes you a jerk.

• In the eyes of the law, unless you felt "you were going to die," you're as much a criminal as your attacker.

• If you use a knife on your attacker, in most states in the U.S. you are already a criminal.

• A knife in the hands of your attacker makes him an instant 50th degree Black Belt. Despite all the martial arts mythology and movie-making, there is no completely effective defense against a knife. You can improve your odds slightly but remember, unlike on TV, there's a million ways you can be hacked up with a knife.

• In real life, practically no one will ever attack you the way it's demonstrated in 99% of martial art schools.

• If you have to save your life, you'd better not grapple your attacker or engage in any other kind of sport-based nonsense. Every additional second you are connected to your attacker you are closer to dying...or becoming a criminal yourself.

• If you make the mistake of "fighting" some guy, you can be sure you'll be "fighting" his buddies also. Prepare to be stomped to death. Every additional second you "fight" exposes you to more assailants and potential weapons that you will not survive no matter how "badass" you think you are.

• If in the process of fighting your way free you maim or kill your attacker, you will have to live with that the rest of your life. This can potentially create in the prison of your mind a worse hell than anything you may face for real. PTSD is real and some of the toughest cops and soldiers suffer from it. It had better have been worth it. It helps if you've adopted a philosophy of avoiding violence as opposed to macho-posturing. Then, when you have to turn it loose...you really will. There'll be no moral ambiguity (but even then, don't expect the law to see it that way).

• Educate yourself about your rights as a victim, the law's view of "appropriate uses of force," and the ramifications of ignoring them.

Avoid all fights at all costs. Escape is always the #1 priority. Fight only if you think you're going to be killed that second. Not threatened or insulted. Then escape.

TOP OF PAGE

I started studying martial arts when I was 7 just like you. It was tae kwon do. I studied for six years and reached the level of brown belt. I switched to studying muy thai kickboxing after realizing that a muy thai fighter could easily exploit tae kwon do's major weakness. that is, although hand strikes are common in tae kwon do it is what I would consider an art which has its most devastating strikes coming from the legs. Muy thai taught me knife strikes, flying knees, and elbows which could confuse most tae kwon do fighters. (not all of them, though.) After studying muay thai I met a guy named Dave through a friend who practiced kenpo. (also called kempo) Dave and I began sparring together as I began taking lessons from his instructor Master Monk. Kenpo then taught me techniques that could easily destroy a muay thai fighter. Example. Muy thai kicks are telegraphed to another fighter who knows what to look for. The kicks seem to take five to ten times longer than a kenpo kick would. The reason is that all kicks in kenpo start from the same position. The knee is raised and/or chambered . From there one of six kicks could be thrown and the opponent has no way of knowing which one it will be. To answer your question; there is one new form. It is the most devastating form of fighting on the planet and I believe it can be used to defeat any martial artist in the world. And I'll tell you why and give you a link. This form of fighting is based on the premise that martial arts techniques only freeze up the mind. As a martial artist I was completely offended by this statement. But as I began researching the man behind it I slowly became fascinated by it. It is called attackproof. Cheesy name? Sort of, but that sums it all up. Nothing is wasted in this style. They don't even bother to add frills to the name. And what I listed is from their site. www.attackproof.com

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
As far as nutrition goes everyone has his own theories/practices. What I've learned over the years is that most of our foods have been processed to the point where they no longer have the nutrients that we need. All of us need fruit and vegetable supplements unless one eats the recommended 8 to 12 servings per day of each. Fish oil supplements are also great if you don't get all of your omegas. I know this thread was made a few months ago. You are a friend of edrick on this site and he's one my friends on this site. It was no suprise to me therefore when I saw this thread and realized you and I have some things in common. I hope you check your thread posts and that when you come back to look at this that my words have helped you in some way, brother.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69

With knowledge in how to defend yourself and how to keep your guard.. Developing your own techniques is a good idea.

Why? Because you know what you are capable of. I'm taking aikido now.. and I find a lot of the stuff useful, and some of it is horribly impractical.

Like Bruce Lee I believe traditional martial arts are simply too rigid to function in a street fight. But they all have their merit, you can use pieces of different martial arts to become more effective.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Good video, BUT;

It's kinda' funny....THERE'S NOBODY SHOOTING BACK
-and that makes ALL the difference in the world.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have been a student of Russian "Systema" for many years.
I actually teach this for the Parks & Recreation Department
Very effective and simple to use defensive/offensive system that can be quickly learned, and doesn't require all those fancy moves, learning how to breath, and finding your center, etc, etc.

I've taught 10 year olf kids that were being victimized/bullied in school as well as 65 year old ladies that thought it was a blast.

And it is a Blast!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It is possible. but you must have a basis. You can't just swing your arms and legs around and think you're creating a martial art. Every movement must have a purpose. As in Gong Fu forms, where every wave of the hand and kick of the feet meets a purpose on the battlefield. A block, a strike, and kick. Watch martial arts instructional videos on youtube, and practice with a friend.

The truth is everything between "white" and "black" belt is basics and learning how to use those basics together. Everything after black belt is all you.

I started out with Chu'an Fa(Chinese Kempo) at 5 years old. I practiced for nearly ten years before I switched to Wing Chun Gong Fu(Incredibly straight forward and effective in short amount of time), and I've studied Japanese Jujitsu, which when you cut out some of the formal stuff and get down to the combat art it is very effective and easy to learn.

I recommend that whatever you decide to do that it is easy for you and that you come away with a better understanding of yourself. You have to know what you're capable of.

These days I focus on tactical combatives using what I already know as the basis.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

In reference to Bruce Lee's style..

You can see, from studying him..his movements, that much of it came from his back ground in a chinese martial art called Wing Chun.

He also studied martial arts in general extensively. It is noted by his wife that he had a very large library of martial arts books.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm in no way a trained fighter or a street fighter, but I have scrapped with some people. I wrestled (poorly) in high school and remember the moves that I used most and modified them for a less constrained fight. On the mats there are rules and refs but not in the rest of the world, so you gotta be ready.
My best is the russian duck, which is a semi-throw. You have their head in your arm pit and your hand on their chin. you other arm is wrapped around their other arm so your elbow is cupping their shoulder. you push their head diwn and pull in into your side and lift with your other arm and push in the direction of the head. they flip over and you can generally land on them and them on their back. if you get them in the hold, you can just as easily pick their feet up and snap them down like that or just lift and drop them on their head. The Flip is just my favorite because I'm way above average height and weight, so a slam is just the best.
The worst part about the move is trying to get their head under you arm, but once you do, their momentum is their enemy. I try to go for a stomach shot or a sternum hit to get them bent down, or just wait till they charge you.
As we all know once you have a person flat on their back with your chest pressed to theirs, they are yours.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have read everything and i find everything interesting thankyou for the advice, how do you know your capability

new topics

top topics

join