It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Americans.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
As a Canadian looking in, it always seems that no matter what, any argument or any debate regarding Americans it always comes down to Republicans vs. Democrats??? I don't get it, someone could post "Celery is a good snack" and get a "Really? You must be a Democrat/Republican".

Are you really that different as a nation?? Are you really that seperated? I understand you both have different takes on certain subjects, but you bring it into seemingly every discussion. I also have a friend from the states who is Black and he always either talks about everythign as a black person thing or a white person thing??

This seperation is not healthy or progressive for your society. Is it really as bad as it seems?

[edit on 2-6-2009 by stereovoyaged]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's worse, not only is it a polarizing system the people who are first to say you must be a repub/demo with such contempt usually have no idea of what it means to be either,they are just regurgitating what they heard from their favorite news "personality".

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

This seperation is not healthy or progressive for your society. Is it really as bad as it seems?

Well, considering EVERY Nation/State has the same political issues (if not worse in some cases), than I would say it's not healthy for ANY society...

But thanks for focusing on the U.S.

I also have a friend from the states who is Black and he always either talks about everythign as a black person thing or a white person thing??

This is for a different thread, don't ya' think..?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29

Well, considering EVERY Nation/State has the same political issues (if not worse in some cases), than I would say it's not healthy for ANY society...

But thanks for focusing on the U.S.

I also have a friend from the states who is Black and he always either talks about everythign as a black person thing or a white person thing??

This is for a different thread, don't ya' think..?

Well I dont see any other members on this site from any other Countries throwing around political names left and right. I am focusing on the US becasue these are the people doing it, kinda makes sense how I worked that in there, you know, asking the people I see doing the action in question.

And the other part, I just figured it tied in with the whole seperation thing. Feel free to not address it

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What are the core differences/beliefs for each party? What is the big devide all about?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, basically it's the same thing here in Canada too. It's either Liberal or Conservative. Conservative or Liberal. Sure we have a couple of other parties (NDP, Bloc, Green), but ultimately we only have a choice between the left and the right. Could you honestly see the NDP or the Greens forming a government? Or the Bloc? Not in my lifetime.

I have a suspicion these other parties are just there for show to give the Canadian public the illusion that we have more choices of political parties than our American neighbours.
When in fact the only parties that will ever form a government will either be Liberal or Conservative.

I may be proved wrong, but I think we (US & Canada) aren't really all that different politically IMHO.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

What are the core differences/beliefs for each party? What is the big devide all about?

That's the problem right there. On paper, sure, there are written core values for each party. You'd be hard pressed to find many representatives of those values in either party.

Both parties through practice have been pushing for expanded government and American empire building all at the expense of the wage earning citizen.

The people who go back and forth repub/dem and usually ignorants who either havent figured out the game or are unwilling to see the game.

If the U.S. were to be split in any manner of value it would be government v. individual or liberty v. tyranny. An offensively large proportion of the U.S. is pro-tyranny. The repub/demo nonsense is just a sideshow to pass the time between American Idol seasons.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

It's pretty awful.

I actually might just switch to Green. I'm sick of playing the politics game.

I'm liberal. I'm as liberal as you get and people can tell and sometimes judge me by it.

It's stupid. It shouldn't be personal like that.

Republicans are typically conservatives and support less federal control of the government, typically are more religious, pro-life, against control of private businesses. Support gun rights. Against gay marriage.

Democrats are typically liberals. More education and healthcare. Less taxes of poor, more taxes of rich. More environmental regulation and business regulation. More federal control. Pro-choice, pro gay marriage.

That's the general two extremes. There is variation.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

I think we will see a NDP Govt. soon enough actually

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

If I were an American I guess I would be a Democrat, lol But I know what you mean, I am a very liberal person also, and sometimes people are taken back by my views on some issues.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I guess it's possible. Not in Ontario though. We still have nightmares about Bob Rae and the NDP when they were in Queens' Park. They sure made a royal mess of things.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well the core beliefs these days are:

1) Whenever something goes wrong blame the other party
2) Do what ever when ever as long as it benefits you or your wallet, because you can always fall back on #1

Its pathetic actually...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

NDP won here last in Newfoundland, was a big deal really, Premier Williams called for all Conservatives to not vote for his party as a protest to Robot Commander Harper.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

So same as any other political party? lol But I mean as voters, what makes someone one or the other

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
My perspective is that the US truly became divided on 9/11. I know, it is SO overused, but as I recall, before there were different political sides, but there was a nice gray area, too. Not anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Other than what xstealth said (star for you), the main differences are that Republicans stood (past tense) for smaller government and, as a result of that, smaller social services (welfare, etc.), smaller environmental programs, smaller taxes and smaller government in the daily lives of people. Democrats stood (past tense) for larger social services and larger environmental programs and therefore larger government and taxes.

Now they both stand for greed and power. Not much difference.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Oh there are very stark differences between the two parties. Doesn't everyone know this?

The Democrats want to take your hard earned money away from you at gunpoint and shovel it out to their supporters from the back of parked trucks.

Republicans want to take your money at gunpoint and drop it on their supporters from low flying planes.

Huge difference.

Also, Republicans as a rule know how to fix problems but have no interest in being helpful. Democrats have all the good intentions in the world, but their "help" will leave you worse off than you were before they showed up.

It's like having two brothers-in-law; one really sharp one with a big house and fancy car and all the ability in the world to give you some assistance, but it's polyester pants night at the country club and he just can't be bothered.

The other one is a complete loser, but very friendly with a big heart, who lives in a van down by the river. He'll come over anytime you want, to help you out as long as you give him a meal. The last time he came over for meatloaf, he tried to rewire your garage and burnt it down.

Choose wisely. Do you want to be robbed and left alone, or robbed and beaten beyond recognition? In the nicest possible way, of course.

new topics

top topics

join