It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents could 'spy' on kids' mobile phones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by deadline527

I think its the opposite. These kids have access to things we NEVER had when we were young. I played with Barbie dolls and played manhunt.. These kids are talking to complete strangers and exposing personal info about themselves.. We had to worry when we were young about strangers, but if you lived in a good town where everyone knew each other it wasn't THAT bad.. Now a days the KIDS are bringing the strangers to THEM.. Thats crazy IMO.

You are absolutely right! In case an entirely new generation has been brought fouth that you can't even begin to compare with the days of your youth. I was raised by the computer in the "E-Generation" but my parents, instead of restricting my privlidges and making me look like a social retard, just informed me on what was and wasn't appropriate and how to confront strangers and hot topics such as sex and perversion thropugh anonymous contacts. You and your children should have a better and healthier relation ship if you sit down and talk about it rather than, "DERP YOU DUNT NEED DA CELLULAR DEVICE!!1one!". Nothing more awkward than a kid who has to explain to his friends why he doesnt have any modern form of communication, kinda makes them a social outcast.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
lol wow! Finally parents can do what the government has been doing for years! Maybe this is to get us used to the idea of no privacy so 10 years from now the government can take a bill and pass it to were they may do it to anyone. Kinda slowly dip into warm water before jumping right in. Enjoy your lack of privacy!

A parent doing their job and keeping tabs on their child is hardly the same thing as illegal wiretapping.

You could say the same thing about giving a child a phone in general-just a way to tie them to technology at a young age so they don't know how to live without it.

Truth be told, children face far more dangers purely because of the tech out there today. Parents actually stepping up and being parents should be commended, not condemned.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I feel in some way we should take into consideration parents who are not computer savvy, this could help them with perhaps a future event which might be catastrophic to the child and to the family in whole. The world has become far more dangerous even for us adults let alone to children.

Only pointing out that when we leave our front door to go to work and we send off our children to school or to local malls or party's, its slightly comforting to know what is happening within their daily lives, obviously we as parents need to observe our children regardless of age for any behavioural patterns which always evident before things go wrong. So the responsibility does fall heavy on the parents side.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by OKCBtard
lol wow! Finally parents can do what the government has been doing for years! Maybe this is to get us used to the idea of no privacy so 10 years from now the government can take a bill and pass it to were they may do it to anyone. Kinda slowly dip into warm water before jumping right in. Enjoy your lack of privacy!

You could say the same thing about giving a child a phone in general-just a way to tie them to technology at a young age so they don't know how to live without it.
[edit on 6/1/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

Nothing more true could be said! I still remember the kid who killed himself because he lost his Ipod and the other kid who ran away only to be frozen to death because he was grounded from Call of Duty and his Xbox.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I cant wait for this to come out. I will make a mint designing crypto algorithms for the children to totally spin their parents minds as to what they are saying.

This will be abused by so many parents. How many parents will tell their children they are not being monitored when they really are?

Actually. As long as the children KNOW that they are being monitored I can almost sort of agree with it. But to monitor a child constantly, around the clock, without their knowledge or permission while taking away any semblance of privacy should be criticized.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I like the fact that my children have cell phones. It makes all of us feel more secure knowing that they can call home whenever and wherever they have a problem. But I don't need to worry about sexting or inappropriate photos at all. I only buy phones without cameras for them, and I have the texting and internet access features disabled both on the phone and with the service provider.

Problem solved!

Until they buy their own phones and pay for their own service I have every right to determine what they are able to do on the phones that I buy. The kids can still call friends and home to get permission to go someplace, but the potential for abuse is minimal.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I dont think a parent would be monitoring his or her children unless there are serious problems in the past, and present. Its not about monitoring but just keeping an eye out for them. If you were to sit down and have a dialogue with them im sure they will realize that its only in good intentions and not to know who is kissing who or what ever other stuff might be going on in healthy environment.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The day I have to spy on my kids is the day our relationship has broken down to a point I'd never want to believe in. It would be my fault. I trust my children to do the right thing at the right time and if they haven't then they have enough conscience to call home for help.

If you have to spy on your kids (including reading a diary or checking at other kid's homes to ask if they have been there or to find their location) because you think your kids are lying then you have bigger problems that you haven't addressed for quote some time.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by suzque66]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by suzque66
The day I have to spy on my kids is the day our relationship has broken down to a point I'd never want to believe in. It would be my fault. I trust my children to do the right thing at the right time and if they haven't then they have enough conscience to call home for help.

If you have to spy on your kids (including reading a diary or checking at other kid's homes to ask if they have been there or to find their location) because you think your kids are lying then you have bigger problems that you haven't addressed for quote some time.

Star for you!

They are taking the trust out of parenting and replacing it with technology to watch everything their kids do. If my parents knew what I was doing when I was 13-17 they would have had heart attacks, but by doing it then I was able to learn and not make the same mistake now.

So instead, these children will be monitored, watched, and unable to live their life the way they should. Because of this they will not be able to experiment until they are out of mothers reach, hence 18. But sadly, your supposed to learn from your mistakes before then, because after you go to jail.

Let the kids be kids. I understand if you have a crazy little rascal of a problem child but please parents dont do this unless you really want to destroy any semblance of trust between you and your child.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I guess this story has two sides to it, one side it as the trust a parent must obtain and earn from his/her children on the other hand you child might need some extra help from his parents and my not know how to approach you. Not all children are the same. Also note the statistics of crime rates at what ages they are performed and you begin to get the general idea.

Either way all children display altered habits regardless of their age, its up to the parents to see and act upon them accordingly.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I love being 18. I'm so glad this wasn't around like four years ago.

I would never get anything like this for my kids. But my kids will have like, emergency firefly phones where my number and 911 and family numbers and best friends numbers are all that they can call.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well i loved being 13 and after that, but this is about the parents being able to do a simple check on children, have you ever heard of peer pressure, im sure you would have been pressured into doing something you never wanted to. Sure there is obviously the innocent school stuff, but after a point in time it does tend to get out of control and back then it was up to the upbringing of the family which held itself together.

These days you have people making friends over the internet or exchanging ideas. That seems harmless enough, but how do think all those perverts find new victims. Can you honestly say that facebook and myspace is as innocent as you would like to be. You have more pedophiles working through the sites than any other media portal and you can take that to the bank. So the cell phones is just another form of taking it to the next level. I would rather be ready for an unlikely situation than trying to deal with a possible destroyed innocent child's future life. To me, its that simple, its black and white.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

Star for you!

They are taking the trust out of parenting and replacing it with technology to watch everything their kids do. If my parents knew what I was doing when I was 13-17 they would have had heart attacks, but by doing it then I was able to learn and not make the same mistake now.

So instead, these children will be monitored, watched, and unable to live their life the way they should. Because of this they will not be able to experiment until they are out of mothers reach, hence 18. But sadly, your supposed to learn from your mistakes before then, because after you go to jail.

Let the kids be kids. I understand if you have a crazy little rascal of a problem child but please parents dont do this unless you really want to destroy any semblance of trust between you and your child.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by deadline527]
That's a great line of thinking, in philosophy.

As someone who works in a middle school and sees these things all day, every day, though, I can tell you it is not realistic in any way, and is quite dangerous. This isn't the generation of 50, 25, or even 10 years ago. Kids today face a totally different set of challenges.

We aren't talking just about drinking, or smoking a little dope. You are talking about 12 year old being pushed into sex. You are talking about underground theft rings. You are talking about more preditors than ever before.

I agree that you have to give kids some freedom, but knowing what they are doing, especially when it is electronically documented, meaning it can be subpoenaed to court if a crime were committed and used against both you and them, is not a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I guess all it would take if some takes the time to talk to divisions who revolve around the digital world and the amount children who fall victim. The media will not show the numbers on prime tim television as it will create a huge panic. The problem is very real and it is increasing every day at every minute.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

We aren't talking just about drinking, or smoking a little dope. You are talking about 12 year old being pushed into sex. You are talking about underground theft rings. You are talking about more preditors than ever before.

if you didn't teach your own kids self-respect then obviously you need a leash on them via some sort of electronic surv.

Being pushed into sex? rape? how is having a line of sight gps on them going to help them after they had put themselves in a bad situation?

The world needs less electronic babysitters of some form of another and more sitting down and talking and listening to kids.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

If you didn't teach your own kids self-respect then obviously you need a leash on them via some sort of electronic surv.

I disagree, totally.

So in your eyes the majority of children that land into situations such as rape and other horrors are because the parents did not teach them self respect?

You cannot blame an innocent child who gets molested, rape or abducted because of self respect.

I do know that there are many youngsters who are guilty and i am talking about those who take part in such hideous crimes. Still we cannot say little girls of 5..even teenage girls lack self respect, even boys.

Like the teacher earlier last week doing her do to children, that is why us parents are on look-out 24/7, to see our kids grow up in the best way we can provide. It is all for them. Not here to destroy their lives but to love & care for them.

Originally posted by suzque66Being pushed into sex? rape? how is having a line of sight gps on them going to help them after they had put themselves in a bad situation?

They put themselves into such situations? Are you for real?

Little boy or girl walks home from school and someone grabs them..and that is a situation they put themselves in? Gotta be joking.

[edit on 6/13/2009 by qonone]

[edit on 6/13/2009 by qonone]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
In no way would these devices prevent rape, crime, or anything of the sort. That would be quite ignorant to think that.

These devices will only show where they are at, not what they are doing. They could be getting raped, and you would have no idea. Although, you could see a dot on the screen that shows you where they are, but what good does that do?

For the people who think this will stop crime, your crazy. The only thing this will do is let parents monitor their childs whereabouts. Anything that happens while the child is there is still going to happen.

If the kid wants to get drunk, this isnt going to stop him. If they want to have sex, this isnt going to stop them. If they want to commit crimes, this will not stop them.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
When I text from home...it is because I don't want my parents to see. Otherwise I will use MSN and normally let them read my conversations if they want to; but if I send a text when I don't need to, it's because whatever happens I don't want them seeing that text.

I get severely depressed, and sometimes I need to talk to somebody, but I don't feel I can go to my parents (I don't blame them, I just don't want to talk to them about it for many reasons). Now if they could suddenly read these texts, I would lose the ability to talk to soemone when I needed to. I can quite honestly say, if I knew my parents could see my texts at times when I needed to, I probably wouldn't be here.

Children need their freedom and privacy aswell.

And, not to derail, but about adults using technology to abuse the younger children. I want to make the statement, that it is VERY often the child that starts this off....and that needs to be dealt with by the parent. I can not count how many times people ages 12-14 have 'came on to me' when I do not wish them to...at all. I am 17 by the way.

<< 1   >>

join