It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEVELOPMENT: Local Currencies Really Can Buy Happiness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

DEVELOPMENT: Local Currencies Really Can Buy Happiness

www.ipsnews.net

In the face of an economic system which seems to be premised on environmental harm and profit-driven growth, a handful of communities across the U.S. and the globe have begun experimenting with alternative forms of local currency as a pathway to sustainability.

Local currencies existing today in the U.S. include the Humboldt Community Currency in Eureka, California; Berkshares in the Massachusetts Berkshire region; Bay Bucks in Traverse City, Michigan; Ithaca Hours in Ithaca, New York; Cascadia Hours, Corvalis Hours, and RiverHours in Oregon; Equal Dollars in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
While I'm not quite sure ANY currency can actually buy happiness, I am starting to like these types of recurring news stories I keep seeing popping up of communities creating their own forms of currency, independent of the monsters ruining things at the top of the food chain. Also, the re-emergence of BARTERING exchange, as seen here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, my concern is that Big Brother may not be so happy about all of this, as is seen in the prosecution of this individual who was paying employees in precious metals:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Will this type of "alternative" currency create a showdown between communities, and the powers controlling and manipulating our monetary system?

This may become a huge issue in the coming months and years ahead...

www.ipsnews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join