It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: Can Obama deliver on the Middle East?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Analysis: Can Obama deliver on the Middle East?

news.bbc.co.uk

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has a problem.

Something has changed in Washington. This new US President, Barack Obama, is unlike any that an Israeli leader has faced before.

Certainly he shares Washington's traditional concerns for Israel's security. But his election victory marked a defeat for the neo-conservative Right and the Christian fundamentalists, the ideological camps that have provided the backbone of uncritical support for Israel over recent years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yeah I've been waiting for something like this to start happening once Obamas group took roots. Didn't the US recently "request" that Israel stop the expansions?

Here's the deal.

No US president has really negotiated from a firm stance against Israels wishes maybe Obama will be different.

But this "natural growth" argument is not getting any traction in Washington.

The message has been repeated again and again; no settlement building - period.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I believe the Israeli leadership as well as the government is not doing well in convincing their American counter parts as to why they are proceeding with the expansion as well as possible Iran strike. Netanyahu was previousley a part of the UN but the way he communicates shows nothing but aggressiveness which Obama is not taking very well...These are testing times!!!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This article is BS. The whole thing continues.

Money for Israel. CHECK.
Support for Israel. CHECK.
War against Iran possible. CHECK.
Fake pression on Israel about palestinians. CHECK.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

How is this article BS??? Havent you been hearing the news...?This is the first time I am hearing an American president taking an assertive stance against their jewish counter parts...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I seem to recall that Israel is a sovereign nation. What makes Obama think he can ORDER them to do anything? He is not king of the world; he is President of one country.

I find it interesting that the same people who are constantly saying that the US needs to keep it's nose out of other countries business seem to have no problem with the US telling Israel what to do. There is no hypocrisy there - naw - none at all.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by itguysrule

I'm not sure if people realize that a lot of that "Support" the US has provided is not free and will come at a cost.

I think the free ride might be about over.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
In his short tenure as President, Obama has been trying to promote "equal" friendly relations with *all* countries.

It isn't savvy for him to "appear" to bend over backwards for Israel when he has an important speech to the Muslims in Egypt coming up soon.

Just interested in what you mean by "delivering" on the Mid-E. if you could please clarify.

top topics

join