It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slightly confused about the whole Maya 2012..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Yeah i know supposedly the Mayans stated that a major change would happen in 2012. The Mayans had a 260 day calender if I'm not mistaken and their "era" begin roughly between 3000 and 1800 BC (estimating, going off the top of my head). So my thing is going off their calendar, of 260 days wouldn't the yeah 2012 on their calender would have already passed? A long time ago?

I'm just saying that, that to me anyway is just slightly confusing. To me it's like if people took what the Mayans "said" and applied it to their calendar system and said holy crap! The world is going to end in 2012. Now I'm not knocking anyones thoughts or opinion on the subject. Something may or may not happen, be it end of the world, ancient gods returning, or what ever. I'm just asking for a little insight because to my logical or illogical way of seeing things, I believe that I am slightly confused...

Thanks in advance for any information.

X 0 3

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
really there two ways to look at this...
First the Maya created this elegant calendar based on the sun the moon and stars movement. they saw there this eternal cycle that had nothing to do with mans struggles or anything that occurred on earth. that cycle they found was eternal... never ending, always repeating

So now were faced with 2012... and we can only assume one of two things.
Either they knew it would all just stop...
or more likely
they had to arbitrarily pick a point where they had to stop adding more to this calendar of theirs.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DiabloX03

I am no expert, but as I understand it it, the Mayans never mentioned '2012' in specific terms.

The 'End date' of 21st december 2012 (a winter solstice) is a translation of their measurement of time into our modern day calendar where it marks the end of their '13th Baktun' or 'final earth age'
Also, it is not just a date with no special meaning in today's terms - this is the date of the 'galactic alignment' which happens only once every 26,000 years, and (again, I am led to believe) this coming planetary alignment is scientific fact.

But I am a newbie too, so this is only my interpretation.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Mayas have been given theyr knowledge Including the Calendar by E.t. Some say the long calendar might be a universal clock, time of rendeZvous , well , what do I know !!!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
i forgot about all this maya stuff......i allowed myself to be turned off (after i read calleman's book) cause there is somethin fishy about the man

maya in contact with ET's ......interesting and certainly possible.....i figure either we have destoryed ourselves a few times and built our civilizations back up (thus ancients knew more than we logically give them credit for) or perhaps this knowledge was bestwoed upon them by E.T's.....or perhaps a mix of both............but i never knew what to get out of the end date? yes a 26000 year cycle ending but then .....would the cycle not start over? perhaps they would have updated their Calendar (new cycle) should their civilization had more stability as it approached the end of the current cycle...or perhaps they would have gotten more direction from the E.T's

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I just went to wikipedia to try to help answer your question. Man, does it go deep. I would have to research this subject thoroughly to develop my own understanding. And to bring this up as a topic to be discussed in here, you may not get the firm understanding you were looking for. This topic is very complex. I will continue to stick to the basics...they developed a calendar that was so far ahead of their time (3372 BC), that some of the most intelligent minds in our time are boggled. They can tell us about the dynamics of the calendar and that the calendar ends in 2012. Oh and that the Mayans were responsible for its making and that they mysteriously disappeared. I know our current calendar does not synchronize with the Mayan calendar and maybe that's where some of the confusion is coming from. The Mayan calendar was developed before our current calendar.
Sorry I didn't help you answer your question. Just wanted to point out its complexity before we got into a deep deep discussion.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
imagine if back in the days...the guy who made the calendar turned to his buddy and said...
im rather tired of doing this,i think i'll just stop here for awhile...
and thus 2012 began lol
i guess a positive light, on a negative shadow

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The Mayan say "its the end of time" not the end of the world.

Now for me im guessing the regular 24 hours clock changes, maybe we rotate around the sun differently, maybe we jump onto another star, or maybe our rotation is different everyday, we dont bother using time.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

This covers it pretty well.
Unless you're looking for something that says we're all gonna die.

www.universetoday.com...
No Doomsday in 2012

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The Mayans have a very advanced understanding of the stars and their movements. I am sure the they predicted the galactic alignment and took it for something ominous. Many people confuse the words apocalypse and Armageddon. The Mayans predicted an apocalypse on the day of the galactic alignment. I have seen many people assume that means some disaster. An apocalypse is more of a change than utter destruction.
My guess is that the Mayans saw this alignment as a change in the stars and positions of the sun and their patterns and assumed they would have to revise their calender.
Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Does anyone know what happened at the last galactic alignment? Also, does anyone know what happened to the Mayans?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
what happens to a clock when it reaches 23:59?
It rolls back to 00:00
What happens when the maya calender reaches 13.0.0.0.0?
rolls back to 0.0.0.0.1

thats all ther is to it. nothing else. time doesnt end. Just repeats

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
video.google.com... 36695965417017&ei=MQQsSvSJJoXW-gGyq9i3CQ&q=ian+xungold

This video by Ian Lungold explains the Mayan calendar as cycles of conciousness.

There are 4 great cycles, and we are at the end of the 4th one, so the calendar resets back to 0.0.0.0.0

What's funny to me is I have recently stumbled upon the "Timewave zero" theory and it also has a cycle of "time" which goes to 0 in 2012.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by LOLZebra]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The Galactic Alignment occurs only once every 26,000 years, and was what the ancient Maya were pointing to with the 2012 end-date of their Long Count calendar.

Source

I've read that the last Galactic Alignment 26k years ago brought on the Ice Age.

The Mayans, in my opinion, are like Nostradamus - way too accurate to discredit.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

actually it isnt based off the calander... that is when it ends yea because that is the end of the cycle of the earth....there is proof of a planet orbiting about 3300 years ago and hitting the earth, thus creating our continents. It is suppose to hit every 3300 years and dec 21, 2012 is that day

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas26

actually it isnt based off the calander... that is when it ends yea because that is the end of the cycle of the earth....there is proof of a planet orbiting about 3300 years ago and hitting the earth, thus creating our continents. It is suppose to hit every 3300 years and dec 21, 2012 is that day

I thought it was 36oo?

rehab

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by omg aliens are so real
Does anyone know what happened at the last galactic alignment? Also, does anyone know what happened to the Mayans?

What happened was kinda what happened at the end of the movie "Apocaypto". It was an end of an era, an end of their world as they knew it. It was when the Spaniards landed in the coast of the Yucatan peninsula.
They must've thought that aliens and monsters had arrived. Floating fortresses with weird looking men in shining armors riding beasts never seen before, speaking in foreign tongues.
Imagine us being invaded by UFO's and aliens.

Their whole world changed but it didn't come to an end.

Mayans still live in southern Mexico and parts of Central America.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join