It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's governor general eats seal heart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Canada's governor general eats seal heart

www.msnbc.msn.com

RANKIN INLET, Nunavut - Canada's governor general ate a slaughtered seal's raw heart in a show of support to the country's seal hunters, a display that a European Union spokeswoman on Tuesday called "too bizarre to acknowledge."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't know why people are so against the seal hunt. The seals are killed humanely and there are way too many of them. They eat all the fish, so fisherman can't fish anymore. I think it's great , albeit not my taste, that Governor General Michaelle Jean ate the piece of seal heart. What animals/fish can't you hunt? Endangered, yes, but seals are not endangered. Cute, aha, I think we have a winner. OOOOH seals are so cute, let them live! I think most animals are cute so I think there should be a ban on killing any animal! Any thoughts.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I guess the problem is the countless violations of regulations.. It should be humane but it isn't.

Over the past five years, the International Fund for Animal Welfare has submitted video evidence of more than 660 violations of the Marine Mammal Regulations - including the dragging of conscious seal pups across the ice with sharpened boat hooks, the stockpiling of dead and dying animals, beating and stomping seals, and skinning seals alive - to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. To date, not a single charge has been laid in response.

www.gan.ca...

For fun, search for "seal hunt" on google images. I guess it's just easier to kill'm quick than humane.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

I have to tell you, of all the things that wrong in this world this one breaks my heart the most. (see signature)

How humans can bring themselves to do this to these beautiful and intelligent creatures is beyond me.

It shames me to be human.

I haven't bought a Canadian product or been to Canada in years for that reason alone.

Disgusting.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that the seals are killed humanely.
I've seen footage of hunters clubbing the seals bloody before they stop breathing, not very pleasant to watch.

Although this footage was on the PETA website, so I'm not sure if it's just subjective shock tactic propaganda for their cause. So my internal jury is out on this one.
But then, why stage that sort of thing?

Go to this site, search 'seal' and it will show you the population status of all seal species: IUCN Redlist

Problem is, there are a lot of endangered species which man uses for food, most notably, the Atlantic Cod, which has been massively overfished, so much so that there are very strict EU quotas on exactly how many can be landed. The bad thing is, if too many are caught, they get thrown back into the sea injured or dead, so it doesn't really matter how many are taken ashore, thousands are left to die. Just the EU failing miserably. AGAIN.

A question I'd like to ask is, how much of the seal is actually eaten? Or is it just the fur that is used? Posturing politicians aside... Even though I'm a vegetarian, it would be sad to see the rest of the animal wasted, just so its pelt can be sold off at astronomical prices. I'm not here to impress my views on others.
Just trying to keep an objective angle on it

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

top topics

join