It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

www.mcclatchydc.com

ISLAMABAD — The U.S. is embarking on a $1 billion crash program to expand its diplomatic presence in Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan, another sign that the Obama administration is making a costly, long-term commitment to war-torn South Asia, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

The White House has asked Congress for — and seems likely to receive — $736 million to build a new U.S. embassy in Islamabad, along with permanent housing for U.S. government civilians and new office space in the Pakistani capital.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
OK guys -- we always talk about how we are going to put an end to this nonsense. We are at the breaking point, folks.

Not to be overly dramatic, but come on -- the timing of this is VERY SUSPECT, no?

Here's more from the article:
"Senior State Department officials said the expanded diplomatic presence is needed to replace overcrowded, dilapidated and unsafe facilities and to support a "surge" of civilian officials into Afghanistan and Pakistan ordered by President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Other major projects are planned for Kabul, Afghanistan; and for the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Peshawar. In Peshawar, the U.S. government is negotiating the purchase of a five-star hotel that would house a new U.S. consulate.

Funds for the projects are included in a 2009 supplemental spending bill that the House of Representatives and the Senate have passed in slightly different forms."

Did everyone catch that? SUPPLEMENTAL SPENDING BILL to the tune of $700+ million.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
seems like everyone in charge wants to up and leave america to make a new home in the crater that will be the middle east

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X1

It certainly seems that way to me.

Is it just me, or does it seem a little premature to be building an embassy there, especially one of this magnitude?

Further, this "surge" of civilian officials that are suddenly going to descent upon Pakistan and Afganistan -- I must have missed soemthing. Is this war over and the area now belongs to the US?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

If by own, you mean has the US bought this region? Then yes, it would be a valid statement to say their employees will not be bothering the new, as well as whats left of the existing, residents of the area. hehe

The former employees will probably be moving a little more eastish than middle? Maybe expand business to the south, first. Plan on gettin married any time soon?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm beginning to think that the Middle East is going to become the new "US". I can't help but feel as if we are all being abandoned for what is becoming the new, centralized area of control.

new topics

top topics

join