It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-human 'soldier of the future' unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Super-human 'soldier of the future' unveiled

news.ninemsn.com.au

The soldier of the future will be a drug-enhanced, gadget-equipped fighting machine with a powerful "exoskeleton" straight out of science-fiction, according to US defence officials.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
"In an elaborate vision dubbed "Future Soldier 2030", the Pentagon reveals how it plans to transform its GIs into a combat elite with near super-human abilities.

One of the suit's features is a sensor capable of pinpointing an insurgent in a crowd, allowing the soldier to either track or shoot the person via a helmet-mounted computer screen....."

I wonder how the suite is to identify individuals and keep track of them through a crowd.. amazing.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Avionix]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Inevitable, yet rather frightening. Drug enhanced super soldiers, sounds exactly like the type of thing that the a sane rational group like the US Government should have at it's disposal. I wonder what's going to become of the drug enhanced super soldier after they get out of the army... or do we ever care about them anymore at that point?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is silly. They are going to make a super expensive suit to send a signal when a soldier is wounded? How bout a soldier just got on his radio and tell someone himself. I do not see any benefits of this suit over good training and some good body armor.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

After the super solider is out of service he's no longer a problem for the government.The more things change the more they stay the same.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
This is silly. They are going to make a super expensive suit to send a signal when a soldier is wounded? How bout a soldier just got on his radio and tell someone himself. I do not see any benefits of this suit over good training and some good body armor.

Yeah because we all know that a soldier with good training and body armor doesn't need advancment in his gear to make his job easier.

They are also expieramenting with a suit that keeps a soldier cool in the desert by circulating fluids through it and it comes with a helmet that looks like a modular helmet. It has a sensor in the face plate that is attached to a small camera on the rifle. It would allow the solder to point his rifle around the corner and see if there are enemy combatants. If there are it would allow the soldier to fire around corners without exposing himself.

It also does the same thing that is described in this article. Only differance is that it doesn't look like a storm trooper and it has been tested in the field.

But I suppose you think this is silly too and that only a radio and good training is needed.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Don't you guys know, the super soldier is a self correcting problem, all the stress and drug modification will lead to an early, and probably uncomfortable death, if he even makes it out of the military alive. Anyway, US soldiers have been disposable since vietnam.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Reminds me of space marines from the 40k franchise , but no where near a tough looking

Maybe one day

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Movies are often used as vehicles of information. The GI Joe movie is coming out soon and it depicts precisely this technology. I wonder how they're going to pay for all of this stuff?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Takka

Actually that part with the heavy hitting and armor laden super soldier is closer than you think with the robotic suit that the Army has been working on. It was announced a year or two back. From what they really need is a way to get the power source independent instead of being plugged in all of the time. Just imagine it with the armor, weapons built in, etc. and you have your super enhanced soldier.

Robo Suit

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Seams quite familiar to me for some reason

Looks like someone was watching power rangers when making the suits

[edit on 28-5-2009 by jatsc]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
lol I much prefer this version of where the technology will eventually turn out .
i98.photobucket.com...
Genetically engineered super humans in cybernetic power suits standing 15 or so feet tall .
buh ... is just science fiction ... for now

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I don't understand why they do stuff like this! Why don't they just focus on preventing wars instead of provoking them with new technology that people want!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Heh, drug enhanced... Where do I sign up?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

- it kind of sounds like the soldiers in the xbox game fuels of war except they werent running around high on a varient of amphetamines which is basically what it will be enabling 3+ days without sleep, quicker thinking, more focus, more energy and less fear.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Exoskeletons have been part of fictional universe´s for a long time.
It would be interesting to see them being adapted to reality

The depiction of the soldier in the image , looks like a skinny master chief lol.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by dracodie]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wow the mock up for the 2030 program is one of the worst looking future soldier suits I have seen. What happened to the cool stormtrooper looking mockups?

The Delta 6 suits from the new GI Joe movie look way better and they look pretty bad.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shade
I don't understand why they do stuff like this! Why don't they just focus on preventing wars instead of provoking them with new technology that people want!

I think this will prevent wars. The technology in this armor sounds mostly defensive. A big problem with military technology is that our ability to protect soldiers from harm is outpaced by our ability to kill. That's one major reasons why we've seen insurgency strategies have such great success - no matter how fancy your gun, a weapon pieced together out of scrap will kill you as fast as the "technologically-inferior" enemy. Who then will fight a war against opponents they cannot kill? Who will sign up to be a suicide bomber when they are unlikely to cause many deaths among the enemy?

top topics

join