It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't UFOs taken seriously?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

good article I found... what do y'all think?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmanshiphop
www.examiner.com...

good article I found... what do y'all think?

The government does not want UFOs to be taken seriously because they design a lot of them and don't want their designs to be known. Its much more convenient for them to label anyone who sees them as nuts.

Also I'd bet most in the government don't want anyone knowing about it except themselves if there ever really is (or has been) space alien visitors because to the government secrets are power and all government cares about is gaining power. So of course they want UFOs to be a secret and want people who see them to be labeled as nuts.

If nothing else proved the government wants us to know nothing then surely 9/11 proved very well our government wants us to know nothing except how to follow their orders and trust them blindly.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Interesting, if not misguided article.

Has nothing to do with the government not wanting people to take UFO's seriously. We do it ourselves. Read just the thread titles alone on this and many other UFO related boards and ask yourself "How can anyone take this seriously?"

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Truth is right.

UFOs became big in the 20th century. Kenneth Arnold, Roswell, among other important cases showed up, bring to the table that UFOs may actually be extraterrestrials from another world.

Now, imagine: WWII is over. America and the Soviet Union now stand as the two most powerful nations on this planet, and the air is getting thick with anticipation of nuclear war. People are scared, and then comes Kenneth Arnold, giving his report of seeing UFOs that opened the door.

Now, people are freaking out. UFOs are being seen by people. The government is receiving calls and mail, asking if the United States is safe.

Hell, in 1955, Douglas MacArthur, General of the Army during WWII, one of the most respected soldiers in United States history, predicted that the next war the US would fight would be a war between them and extra-terrestrials.

So, in response, the government tells the public they are setting up panels and reports to help document the growing UFO craze.

Various "Projects," reports, and commissions come and go.

It wasn't until 1952 that Project Blue Book was set up that people took a real interest in it. Over 12,000 reports were taken in over an 18 year period. To this day, 94% of these incidents are classified as IFOs (Identified Flying Objects). Only 6% of these can't be solved.

Yet, the government, at the same time as they're trying to alleviate people's fears, they set up panels, such as the Robertson Panel. They tried to show that UFOs were not a national threat, but were a threat to standard military communications due to public interest; AKA, they wanted to allow the UFO craze to die down.

In the end, the Robertson Panel had it's effect. It made Ufology a disreputable field, and it made people who reported UFOs to be crazy and laughable.

Many people were afraid of saying anything, seeing they thought they would be ridiculed.

The government did a lot of harm to ufology, but now, in the 21st century, reporting a UFO is not crazy, and many people believe that UFOs are controlled by extraterrestrials from other worlds.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It depends on the person. UFO's only became popular due to modern culture. I myself, am an avid UFO hunter. Some people on the other hand just prefer to think that they do not exist, and call us lot "crazy".

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, I wouldn't say that they weren't. I think that if you look at the fact that UFOs are often a phenomena which is mentioned by channels like the History Channel, one could come to the conclusion that it is something that is taken very seriously.

At the end of the day, only one thing is certain, until a definite conclusion is drawn about the UFO phenomena is drawn, there will always be scoffers.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hi mate new to site,

Im from the UK so I see a complete different aspect to yourself you have no Roswell here. Randelsham Forest is the uk equilvent which we have official tape recording of strange object in the woods recorded on tape.
American base in uk with high ranking officers from usa AF saying this is strange we seem to have a hovering object dripping some sort of dripping lava spilling from it So on and on..... What did the media say at the time you guessed it NOTHING!!! Find your own info from realeased docs under freedom of info act thats how it came to light!!! I am new to this site but have been researching this field for 6 years at different levels what i can say is only fact that you can prove yourself from factual docs. 1. There is a covert denial of the existance of EBE ( official freedom of info act shows this) 2. People have come forward to expose many have been laughed at but I can assure you there are speking the truth ie(Bob lazar was he Lying dont think so have you seen him take lie decetor test yes he passed maybe dis info from Cia/ majic maybe as he passed lie/decor but why the aknowledgement of S4? when as a researcher you know its there. I know find this whole subject as religion as the (HOLY BOOK SEEMS SLIGHTLY SUSPICIOUS? BRIGHT STAR IN SKY THAT LED THE 3 ORIENTAL LOOKING MEN TO STABLE? THE VIRGIN MARY IS HER PREGNANCY NOT POSSIBle TODAY?) The media are TOLD What to Write And when! Oh and currently I work for one of the biigest companys in the world the whole lizard thing honestly dont know yet any reply to myself if you can do this on site as Im new or reply to post J

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well, there are a lot of reason. Aside from the obvious examples from the site here, think about people like Billy Meir, who have perpetrated large and fairly famous hoaxes.
Then there's the number of reported sighting that end up being everything from test planes to lanterns.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think the subject is not taken seriously because the UFO community does not take it seriously. We are so willing to believe that we cling to cases even when they have been explained and even worse, when they have been shown to be hoaxes. As IgnoretheFacts said, we are so willing to believe we will accept the silliest of tales with little-to-no proof. We allow people like Blossom Goodchild and other inanities to have a voice while vilifying skeptics. We have people like Greer and Basset who on the surface appear to be doing serious work, but peel back the layers and they are nothing but hucksters.

So, why again do you think this subject is not taken seriously?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Of Coarse there will be silly hoaxes they done that in the UK with a UFO LOOKING Ballon Guess what nobody belived it as it was done for a show on uk TV via C4 but guess what it was a slow moving helium filled ballon.
Im not dening fakes but how can you discredit polygraph tested individials like BOB LAZ? sorry for spel trying to do Americian English. Only kidn

top topics

join