It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: N. Korea 'recklessly challenging' the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Obama: N. Korea 'recklessly challenging' the world

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama assailed North Korea Monday for new missile tests, saying the world must "stand up to" Pyongyang and demand that it honor a promise to abandon its nuclear ambitions.

Appearing on the White House steps, Obama said that its latest nuclear underground test and subsequent test firings of short-range ground to air missiles "pose a grave threat to the peace and security of the world and I strongly condemn their reckless action."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/25/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well obviously they are challenging the world. Honestly you can't look at the country without thinking that.

NK is one of the most oppressive military dictatorships in the world at this moment. The oppress their people and anyone who enters the country!

If the world places sanctions on the country, only the people will suffer. The government and military have what they need.

When will the world realize that NK is our rebellious son who loves drugs, prostitutes and blowing things up. Just grounding him isnt going to work as he'll sneak out again.

The world needs a new method for dealing with this country.
Obama goes on to say:

It was his second statement within hours of the tests, the latest in a number of nuclear actions that Obama said "endanger the people of Northeast Asia." He called it "a blatant violation of international law" and said that it contradicted North Korea's "own prior commitments." Obama had released a written statement chastising the North Koreans in the early morning hours of Monday.

In his statement in the White House Rose Garden, he noted that the latest tests had drawn scorn around the world. Pyongyang's actions "have flown in the face of U.N. resolutions" and had deepened its isolation, he said, "inviting stronger international pressure."

"North Korea will not find security and respect through threats and illegal weapons," the president said. "We will work with our friends and allies to stand up to this behavior. The United States will never waver from our determination to protect our people and the peace and security of the world."

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/25/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Crickets

Oh the Kooterist need a
Obama + cambodian boy hooker or Obama shakes Satans hand in the OP -

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Thanks for the thread, Tentickles. I'm surprised and glad to hear President Obama using such stern language. It seem somewhat of a departure from his rhetoric regarding N. Korea of several months ago, however I applaud him for having the sand to change his view.

I don't know the answer to this situation....... it seems a lose-lose. President Obama can't push for a military action or he's a Junior Bush. On the other hand, both N. Korea and Iran have learned how to play the game, and how to push the edge and get everyone to "settle" for what they wanted in the first place, all the while not doing a damn thing different than what they want.

I think the truth is, is that these two nations are extremely dangerous. I think both leaders are playing an intentional dangerous game and they play it with impugnity, because they know the rest of the world doesn't want to see the Big Birds flying. At least in the game of chess, there is a goal and a victory (most times).

I've read many people proclaiming the right of any nation to build nuclear weapons, given that the superpowers have them, and I undersand their perspective. I wouldn't want my neighbor's kids to have a car simply because the rest of us have one. They don't have the responsibility or sense to operate it properly. That's the way I feel about Iran and North Korea.

Regrettfully, some kids like to pull wings off of insects. Others grow up and gain the maturity to have the same rights as adults.

edit to add: contrary to some of the posts I've read, I like your avatar. There's something very visceral and yet alluring about it. Very unique. I have no idea what it says about you, but have been wanting to say that for a while.

Cheers

[edit on 25/5/09 by argentus]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Perhaps Iran and N. Korea just want to gain power.

For the longest time, the US were the only ones who could say "Well we have the bomb". If Iran and N. Korea can say that too, then maybe they can also wage illegal wars while also imposing their beliefs on other countries without anyone taking action against them.

Maybe I'm a tad Anti-American

[edit on 25-5-2009 by leira7]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thank you for the compliment argentus.

As for your comment about people who believe all nations should have the right to make nuclear weapons. I am one of them, with a small twist.

All nations whom are not dictatorships deserve nuclear weapons. As they are sovereign nations and that is their right.

As for dictatorships: I do not wish any one person to be under such a rule that they are suppressed in anyway. Dictatorships are not a form of government they are a form of slavery.

top topics

join