It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy? - What Democracy? - None in the UK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Love em or loathe em, the BNP are under a sustained attack as we come closer to the Euro elections here in the UK.

They get no coverage in the mainstream press, except to be called neo-nazis, despite polling 38% of the vote in Hazel Blears own constituency (the press report they only have 1% of the vote in other polls?).

Their only way to try & communicate with the electorate is via the net, but their website is now down due to a massive sustained Denial of Service attack coming from Russia & Eastern Europe.

These kinds of denial of service attacks have been used to extort money from betting sites in the past, the people behind them are organised criminals, and it costs tens of thousands of pounds to pull this off.

So, who is behind this attack on the BNP?

Whether you like them or not, they have a right to free speech, and this quite blatantly obvious attack from the establishment (probably one of the main 3 parties or their lackies) is NOT democracy.

The idea is that we, the public, listen to all parties, decide which we like/are the loonies, and then vote accordingly.

Democracy is NOT about some parties deciding that we can't even listen to some of the others, using the press (and even the church of England now) to try & pressure voters into not voting for 1 particular party or the other, or about criminally disrupting the campaining of another party.

Once you go down the route of turning a blind eye to this kind of behaviour because you aren't a supporter of the people affected then you're heading down a very dangerous path.

Do these idiots not realise that we are all fed up of being told what to think, what to say, what we can & can't do, and that acting in this way just annoys people even more?

I can't stand Labour, but I'd be pretty dismayed if the Tories decided to blow up their website - I would definitely not vote for them, it just isn't cricket, and it isn't right.

Let people make up their own minds.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Democracy is one of the worst political structures to begin with so i dont want it.I did not vote for BNP and would never vote for them,but i agree that the media blackout is shameful given they are a legitimate party with a growing number of supporters.I ended up voting for an independant.I was going to go for UKIP but the CT in me says its a honeytrap.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Political parties have been banned before, many times in fact, so a bit of badmouthing from the press is actually pretty light treatment.

Also, they're website appears to be working fine for me. How do you know they are subject to a DoS attack from eastern europe?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

UKIP are flimsy and wishy-washy with no coherant policies apart from the "Anti-EU" line.

Take a look at The English Democrats...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Political parties have been banned before, many times in fact, so a bit of badmouthing from the press is actually pretty light treatment.

Is there a source listing all these UK political parties that have been banned, and the reasoning behind them being banned? That'd be interesting.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Also, they're website appears to be working fine for me. How do you know they are subject to a DoS attack from eastern europe?

It isn't working all of the time, they had 28 million hits on Sunday and have had more hits today, all from Russia & Eastern Europe.

The company who put up their billboards had the same thing happen to their website too, but their IT team tracked it down to a UK based anti fascist (oh the irony) group & they are going to issue legal proceedings.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Not sure about a list, I'm sure a search on Google would help, but the most prominent one I know is the British Union of Fascists which was banned in 1940, for obvious reasons.

There is no protection for Parties in the UK and any party can in theory be put on the proscribed list by the Government. They tend to use nowadays to ban foreign parties that are seen to be "terrorist" in nature, whether rightly or wrongly.

[edit on 25/5/09 by stumason]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

But im not english
i'll have to make do with the SNP and the babbling idiot Alex Salmond(ive gone off him big time)
I think more powers should be given to England Wales Scotland and N.Ireland.Still a union but more free in passing laws.Also i dont think us Scots should have any say regarding English laws or bills which i would have thought would be common sense.Sorry off topic a bit.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I definitely think that any party or person ought to have the right to speak.

In some cases, it would be the best thing possible to let people or organisations damn themselves with their own words.

Having said that, as long as we all have the right not to listen if we so choose, I'm happy.

I also think democracy is a joke - a two party system which gives us a choice of left or right isn't a great choice, plus the lines seem quite blurred now. And we're only allowed to vote for them when they agree to let us.

I suspect we're still feudal underneath the 'gloss'.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Ah well, nobodies perfect

The ED are actually aligned with the SNP, although I do find the Politicians in the SNP rather repugnant as they are pretty anti-English without good reason and "distort" history to suit their Nationalist ideals.

[edit on 25/5/09 by stumason]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I really cannot believe what I am reading here. The BNP are a neo nazi group of thugs. They have air time Nick Griffin was on tv recently.
Repatriation for all who have a dark skin? should we give these people the time of day I doubt it.

I suggest all UK members watch BBC 2 at 9pm tonight a three part programme called 'Who is watching you' is being aired.

Surveylance Britain is far more a threat to our freedoms that the BNP not being allowed enough air time.

Programme info www.bbc.co.uk...

We are the most 'watched' country in the world..why? Do we have more crime...no. a bigger terrorist threat...no.. more solved crime...no.

Is there a hidden agenda yes.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
But this is the thing in a democracy you get to choose for yourself. I really don't like the far left either, searchlight et al, but if we start chopping down the ones that we don't think should have a voice then where do we stop, and who's to say that your opinion of the BNP or my opinion of searchlight is correct?

For example, the BNP do not say that they want to repatriate anyone with dark skin, that is a complete misnomer & is something thats sunk into your mind from the hype put out by other parties.

I think one of the previous posters was bang on - give them all a platform & let them damn themselves - it becomes clear quickly what each party is really about despite any image they might try to give, and the public aren't idiots - they don't need shielding from this they need exposing to it to make sure that they have no doubt what any particular group is really about.

top topics

join