It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal stopping confiscation of guns now law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Proposal stopping confiscation of guns now law

www.wate.com

NASHVILLE (AP) -- A person who legally possesses a gun would not have it seized during periods of martial rule under a proposal that has been signed into law by the governor.

The measure was signed by Gov. Phil Bredesen on Thursday and takes effect immediately.

Sponsors say martial rule is the same as martial law at the federal level. They say the law is necessary after law enforcement in New Orleans went door to door seizing weapons in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Republican Sen. Jack Johnson of Brentwood, 1 of the sponsors, has said he doesn't expect such behavior in Tenness
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Woohoo! Go TN! Standing up for your rights in these times.

Now, on a more serious note, let us look deeper into this. Why would they pass such a law? Is it because they see a chance for Martial Law in the future...? It sure seems more like it everyday.

I am happy to see States standing up to the government and placing these types of laws into effect. I do hope more and more follow suit.

www.wate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This is definitely good news. Props to Tenn. for effectively setting a precedent in defending our 2nd amendment rights. Now all thats got to happen is other states jump on the bandwagon.

Sadly, i live in the communistwealth of Virginia, so it probably won't happen here. The federal government throws money at my state left and right, and we suck the teet hard. i think its because the politicians spend alot of time in NoVa, we have to keep it in pristine condition. Cant have the lawmakers driving on potholes and shoddy highways can we?

i agree with your conjecture, i wonder if they do know something in Tenn. about soon to come Martial law. But with all the executive orders Bush the younger and Obama the foriegner have declared and will declare, this law won't be that effective in protecting Tenn. gun owners. IMO, this is probably just fluff for the public.

my two cents

love and peace

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I hope TX will jump on this one too.

If TX does get ugly, I am moving to TN.

Remember the Alamo! (You people from TN can say it too, because you gave us Davy Crockett
)

Edit: To the OP . . . your avatar image always makes me do a double take because I see something . . . not appropriate for this site lol

[edit on 25/5/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
sweet news! hopefully many more states will follow the example.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

Some states do seem to do that more than others, suck that teet I mean.

TX will probably follow right behind as we are a big Gun state. We just authorized concealed guns at schools.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Hurrah for Texas! My CCW will get me in trouble if I happen to get pulled over in a school district...ie Passing the school district's office 10 miles from a school.
Arizona lol.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I need to get the hell out of chicago. that's for sure.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Excellent news. If the our Federal representatives will not listen to us then we have to push our state representatives.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
sorry - but IMHO - this law isnt ewprt the paper its writen on .

the only stated power of martial law in the US legal framework is the INCLUDED express power to suspend habeus corpus - but the lack of ANY specific check on martial law , PROBIBITING a given action or suspension of previous rights , means IMO that the instigators / agents of a martial law juristiction would feel no compulsion to honour the TN ` no gun seizures during martial law ` legislation

its just feel good pandering -0 to increase the popularity of the bills authours / enactors

if TN ever comes under martial law - anyone who thinks that this law is going to be honoured while all others are replaced is , to be blunt - an idiot

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Wrong. What it means is if I live in TN and Martial Law is declared and jackboots break into my house to confiscate my guns then they are doing so illegaly and at that point they relegated to the level of any other criminal breaking and entering and I have the right to shoot said people breaking into my house with out breaking the law.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

That might work as long as confiscation goes like this:

"Hey Steve go down and see if that guy has any guns."

Steve goes down and knocks your front door.

"I'm here to confiscate any guns if you have them, sir."

Now right now you better hope whoever is with Steve is leaving the area or some TN liberty force is rushing to your home to back you up because if you plug Steve all those guys Steve is working for arent going to like that.

The spirit of this law is nice but I can't see how the fed would care. They will do whatever the hell they want to. Has shouting "stop, killing is against the law" ever stopper a murder by a petty thug? How will "stop, confiscating my guns is illegal" work against the federal government?

Granted your death would embolden a faction of resistance and in that way be worth something but there's no way short of divine intervention that Steve and his group will just accept that there is some ink on some paper somewhere and leave empty handed.

If it ever comes down to door to door confiscation no laws will have any value whatsoever.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

The spirit of this law is nice but I can't see how the fed would care. They will do whatever the hell they want to. Has shouting "stop, killing is against the law" ever stopper a murder by a petty thug? How will "stop, confiscating my guns is illegal" work against the federal government?

I don't think you read my post. I did not say "Stop, confiscating my guns is illegal" was the recommended course of action. What I said was pulling the trigger on said guns at the law breakers trying to confiscate them was the correct course of action and now perfectly legal in TN.

Of course I suppose you are right though, in a situation where Martial Law is declared... laws on paper become meaningless and only serve as illusory boundries.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

And if done repeatedly, would cause more of a revolt than they will have already.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

then you are an idiot

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

then you are an idiot

Well you apparently have quite a knack for articulating an excellent argument for your case. I digress.

top topics

join