It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inner Worlds of Conspiracy Believers (it's ALL your fault)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
There has been a clearly identifiable pattern lately to try to marginalize and label conspiracy theorists into an psychologically based sub-category.

From a CT point of view this in itself screams of conspiracy.

The article:

Shortly after terrorist attacks destroyed the World Trade Center and mangled the Pentagon on September 11, 2001, conspiracy theories blossomed about secret and malevolent government plots behind the tragic events. A report scheduled to appear in an upcoming Applied Cognitive Psychology offers a preliminary psychological profile of people who believe in 9/11 conspiracies.

A team led by psychologist Viren Swami of the University of Westminster in London identified several traits associated with subscribing to 9/11 conspiracies, at least among British citizens. These characteristics consist of backing one or more conspiracy theories unrelated to 9/11, frequently talking about 9/11 conspiracy beliefs with likeminded friends and others, taking a cynical stance toward politics, mistrusting authority, endorsing democratic practices, feeling generally suspicious toward others and displaying an inquisitive, imaginative outlook.

“Often, the proof offered as evidence for a conspiracy is not specific to one incident or issue, but is used to justify a general pattern of conspiracy ideas,”

It is much easier to demonize a group once it has been marginalized via seemingly scientific methodology.

Goertzel says the new study provides an intriguing but partial look at the inner workings of conspiracy thinking. Such convictions critically depend on what he calls “selective skepticism.” Conspiracy believers are highly doubtful about information from the government or other sources they consider suspect. But, without criticism, believers accept any source that supports their preconceived views, he says.

“Arguments advanced by conspiracy theorists tell you more about the believer than about the event,” Goertzel says.

Swami’s finding that 9/11 conspiracy believers frequently spoke with likeminded individuals supports the notion that “conspiracy thinkers constitute a community of believers,”
(emphasis mine)

That my friends is deflection of the highest degree.

"it's not us it's you"

Truth and the facts are apparently secondary to our desire to uncover them.

What is being said here is basically that questioning authority is a result of a psychological deviation, whereas "sheeplessness" (TM pending)
is apparently normal and encouraged.

We should I suppose be thanking these folks for a least throwing us a bone.

Conspiracy thinkers share an optimistic conviction that they can find “the truth,” spread it to the masses and foster social change,

Gee thanks ... we're crazy but we mean well.

Patronize much?

The study, still unpublished, shows that conspiracy believers displayed a greater propensity than nonbelievers to jump to conclusions based on limited evidence.

“It seems likely that conspiratorial beliefs serve a similar psychological function to superstitious, paranormal and, more controversially, religious beliefs, as they help some people to gain a sense of control over an unpredictable world,”

Control eh?

Not understanding, not awareness, not knowledge, not truth, but control.

I put it to you that the attempt to label us into a psychological sub-category is the ultimate control exercise!

That I take as a compliment.

We must be doing something right.

Source: The Inner Worlds of Conspiracy Believers

[edit on 24 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Control? They don't want to control us. They want to exterminate us.

It looks to me like they see us as children. They know we mean well yet they think we're too ignorant to fully understand the problem extensively.

Of course we're doing something right, otherwise some tool wouldn't have taken the time to segregate us into a group of lower social value.

Good thread. S&F

Oh and don't be mad sdog, if you need a shoulder to punch on, or cry on, I'm here for ya.

-Dev

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
bunch of nonsense. I bet a lot of us here who believe in alternative 9/11 theories have shifted our energies to 1) letting others know about it and B) possibly uncovering other truths, C) living life in the newer mindset, free from the MSM propaganda. and finally D) having our "shtf" plans ready (Im still building
this jobs better pick up soon
).

As a "conspiracy theorist" (the term is a lame duck, nominal at best), Many of us have to go about finding other verifiable news sources that we can go by. After that, we have to use those news sources, and rely on each other instead of turning on the TV (I Like David1976 haha). So, yes, we do indeed uncover a bit more truth than pappa bear fox news or CNBC Jane.

Finally, for those of us who follow the "secret" groups like bilderbergs or watch moves of the military industrial complex, YES! its a bit more "snooping" then waiting for the magic box to tell us what we should be infomred about (Obama's dog Distraction, thats his name right).

Small and part truths but these researchers need to understand us more gosh!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I guess its high time to pretend to be asleep and learn other ways to encourage people to wake up....I believe its time to focus on changing ourselves instead of others...

while I agree that many ''conspiracy theorists'' out there do fit the bill of being semi delusional, I think that many people forget that we are all mad. We are all equally insane, but some don't conceal it as well as others.

My coworkers and a steady amount of people call me crazy whenever conspiracy-esque subjects come into the conversation and I ask them to remain silent for a few minutes to fully grasp what it is I am saying.

There is so much to grasp and so much background information necessary that the average person finds it easier to marginalize and dismiss conspiracies as lunacy as opposed to digging deeper for an answer.

There is so much going on and this assault on truth itself will eventually reach a tipping point...

It incenses me to hear how people can be so automatic. Simple sayings control their minds along with emotions. Simple sayings like ''Ignorance is Bliss'' and ''They're just Crazy" allows their brain to stay lazy and save energy for other simplistic tasks like keeping track of american idol and britney.

This simplicity combined with growing zealotry scares the # out of me and outside of ATS I will continue to pretend to be asleep. I will continue to stay off the radar and only divulge what I know to people who are ready to listen and share....

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Great thread. schrodingers dog quotes:

"Conspiracy thinkers share an optimistic conviction that they can find “the truth,” spread it to the masses and foster social change."

Isn't that something we all do. (The 'we' being the population at large, not just ATS members). Look at the furore over members of the British Parliament and their expenses. If, a few weeks ago, I had commented that I thought that British MP's were fiddling their expenses on a whole scale basis, that could have been considered a 'conspiracy theory'. Now that the story is out in the wild and the truth is coming out, most of the British population (well almost) want to know the truth.

Remember that psychologists throughout the word still use Electroconvulsive therapy. Barbaric.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How about this gem?

Over the past 50 years, researchers and observers of social dynamics have traced beliefs in conspiracy theories to feelings of powerlessness, attempts to bolster self-esteem and diminished faith in government.
(same source)

If it wasn't so pathetically transparent it would be infuriating.

So, questioning the actions of our governments is for the weak and insecure.

No sirs it is not!

Fear of those you can't control is the very definition of powerlessness and insecurity.

Externalize much?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The term 'conspiracy theorist' is itself more associated to the individualistic study of the obscure (as in not accepted) therefore making that person appear to be outside the (accepting) 'core' of society. If anything, I would prefer the actual term be tapered out in favour of a more relevant and accepting term, something that is to be understood rather than caged and judged! (Be honest, how many people openly refer to themselves as a conspiracy theorist?)

The problem with conspiracy theorists is (by in large and IMHO) that they are less of a profitable unit than your typical John Joe that consumes what he is sold via the mass advertising network (this includes the political and commercial).

There is more chance that an informed person is more likely to demand more from their political representatives, expect more from their country in terms of diplomacy, and more likely to avoid watching the main stream's 'fake God' approach to who we are and what we want. The very fact that this represents the group think approach to living, may suggest that we all meekly submit to the rigors of living within our means and finally, when required, walk in sync over the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

Ultimately, these lemmings just ain't that controllable of a material and as such, their credit rating needs to be downgraded once again, lol.

Unfortunately, such reports, whilst their methodologies are flawed and the outcomes not empirically validated against any standard, (meaning it's not worth its' crust within peer reviewed material) tar all CT's with the same brush and line them up against the wall to be intellectually interrogated.

As for me? I prefer Chomsky, Fisk, Parenti, and even the more humorous Rob Newman over the more extreme Alex Jones. The former is not conspiratorial in nature, but rubbed together and it is dangerous information. So my taste is with the larger scale issues, rather than the minute details that are so convoluted with circumstance and conjecture that they will never be solved, ever! We are all different with like-minded views which shows diversity. Do our Government's not want this? Oh, according to the study, ''endorsing democratic practices, feeling generally suspicious toward others and displaying an inquisitive, imaginative outlook''. Not really it appears - where are those Lemmings when we need em?

So, such a report, whilst a little poke in the eye at the CT's, only look through blinkers and thus finds itself, if it dared look, staring at ignorance and therefore becomes the butt of the joke it had intended for the delusional.

(my rant is over ... for today).

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Is this a conspiracy website? I was looking for the recipe for olive loaf on the food channel network. My wife and 2.3 children are having friends over to discuss how well the government is taking care of us and then watch a little NBC news so we can get ALL our information. Later, we might go outside and watch weather balloons fly over our town.

-bliss-

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Goertzel says the new study provides an intriguing but partial look at the inner workings of conspiracy thinking.
My Emphasis

So...what kind of scientist establishes absolute statements and conclusions about people who have considered conspiracy theories based on "partial" evidences?

It seems that this study is only focused on a few factors and doesn't necessarily factor in the cognitive faculties of people in other aspects of their lives.

In short, this is a bunk study that is likely intended as propaganda.

There is a history of paranoid thoughts being validated years after the fact when government documents were released.

While the above statement does not necessitate the validity of all current conspiracy theories, it does suggest that conspiracies thinkers are not necessarily a group unto their own...rather it is a community consisting of many types of human beings whom are reacting to what are misrepresentations of reality as well as ambiguous and inconsistent 'official stories'...

That said...aside from blanketing the conspiracy minded individual as a stereotype, there are some accurate assessments within his expression...his presentation is off and the absolute dichotomy he is depicting is inaccurate.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If the people who wrote the report think that those of us who visit this website are a little off, then might their THEORY if they discuss it among themselves define it as a CONSPIRACY?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

now that was funny

oh yeh it really was(2 lines)

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

That said...aside from blanketing the conspiracy minded individual as a stereotype, there are some accurate assessments within his expression...

Yes but ...

Always with the "polemic" mixed in.

For example:

Much as Swami’s team suspected, beliefs in 9/11 conspiracy theories were stronger among individuals whose personalities combined suspicion and antagonism toward others with intellectual curiosity and an active imagination.
(same source)

Intellectual curiosity, active imagination < suspicious, antagonistic.

The whole premise if their propositions is an attempt to associate and paint the virtuous with the objectionable.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Great stuff my friend ! A flag for the thread and a star for each of your posts.

You quality rocks !

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
yes, there are some kind of people with this profile ... but there are others that dont represent this ...

this is just crazy ...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
yes, there are some kind of people with this profile ... but there are others that dont represent this ...

Well I believe that's the whole point here.

Namely to separate what isn't separate.

Conspiracy theorists are not a demographic, we are ordinary people, but for most of us either by nature or experience, choose to live in truth rather than ignorance.

That is easier said than done and it isn't convenient, there are a lot of advantages to wearing blinders, and there is a lot of initial suffering in the realization that nothing is at it seems.

What we are not however is marginal just because we choose to question who, where, and what we are.

That isn't a psychiatric category, it is fundamental humanity.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Breifne

So, such a report, whilst a little poke in the eye at the CT's, only look through blinkers and thus finds itself, if it dared look, staring at ignorance and therefore becomes the butt of the joke it had intended for the delusional.

True enough and very well said ...

It is interesting you say that there is less money to be milked from the CT.

It seems our beloved researchers have managed to overcome this hurdle.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Well, as far as psychology goes, we can play their game, with more effect since we are right more often. It's the applied use of ponerology, to weed out the psychopaths who are responsible for most of this manipulating and lieing.

It's not us, it's them.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I see this as a desperation move by the PTB. The government and news media continue to try and marginalize us and it simply does not work.

What they fail to mention is we are "Truth" seekers and think for ourselves. We are not influenced by the mainstream corporate propaganda media, we are able to CRITICALLY THINK, think for ourselves. We do NOT accept the corporate media Bull, we are not brainwashed by the media and the government.

They also fail to mention we are "Patriots", we Americans believe in the US Constitution and the British Truth Seekers believe in the Magna Carta.

We believe in basic rights for all human beings, many of us believe in God and the 10 commandments. We question the government, we believe we are the government and the government is run by the people, NOT the government running the people!

This so called "study", and we all know it is just more "propaganda", will back fire on them. It will wake up many Brits and Americans, and build our movement and give us more momentum!

God Bless America!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The Soviet Union used to put political prisoners in mental hospitals. Since we seem to be increasingly emulating the Soviets in everything else, I guess it makes a grim sort of sense. We are already well on the road to state ownership of the once-free market, via bailout. There are so many other emerging similarites: a disasterous war in Afghanistan, imperial overstretch, state micro-management and survalience of private citizens , living in an economic fantasy land while the economy breaks down, producing shoddy goods, torture, etc etc....need I go on? With all this, tossing free-thinkers into mental hospitals and identifying awareness of the true nature of things as a pathological state is really just the icing on the cake, isn't it?

On the other hand, to sound a small hopeful note, in the past year I've sensed a new-found respect from family and friends who considered me a hopless crank for decades. Now, at long last, lots of people who laughed for years are ready to listen.

[edit on 5/25/09 by silent thunder]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join