It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triple Conjunction of Jupiter and Neptune - May 27th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is the first time I will be watching the Triple Conjunction so can anybody tell me if you will be able to see much with the naked eye or will I have to get the Telescope out, I want to get some decent pictures but lately here in the UK it seems every night the sky is full of Clouds but I'll try and be ready with the Camera ( Luckilly I got a new HD camers so I should get some decent pictures if possible ). So should you be able to see the Large stars representing Jupiter and Neptune?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
cant imaginge much point in looking without a telescope, unless you want to see faint star like dots, and even if you can hold the camera still enough to take a pic it wont be worth showing us.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Natonstan

All I can tell you is that jupiter and it's moons are very visible espeically through a good set of astronomical binoculars. Saturn is also visible through binoculars. anything further out is not so easy even with the large binoculars I have 25x100's. From what I have learned from other amatures I believe it may be possibe to see Uranus through a good telescope but Neptune I can not tell you.. There are a few who will reply to you who are more knowledgable on this subject.

Incidently the dates of the 3 conjunctions are
Jupiter-Neptune May 27 July 10 December 21

I notice also that Chiron enters into this conjunction also.

The most historically important triple conjunction was that one between Jupiter and Saturn in 7 BCE-5 BCE, which has been proposed as the explanation for the star of Bethlehem. Triple conjunctions between Jupiter and Saturn -- so-called Greatest Conjunctions -- last took place in 1682-'83, 1821 (only in right ascension), 1940-'41 and 1981. It will not occur again until 2238-'39.

There are more frequent triple conjunctions of Jupiter with Uranus or Neptune. They are unspectacular, but offer a good possibility for amateur astronomers to find these dim planets. The next triple conjunction between Jupiter and Uranus will be in 2010-'11 and the next between Jupiter and Neptune will be in 2009.

sorry for the wikipedia source but it is interesting

Happy planet hunting

peace to you

daz__

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the Information guys Better get all set up then later, Like I said it's been cloudy in my area over the past weeks and The moon hasn't even been visible most nights so not sure how I'll be able to see this, but I'm guessing the clouds wouldn't be much of a problem if I used a decent Telescope?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Natonstan

Even the best telescope is no match for cloud cover thick enough to hide the moon. It's just as futile as trying to observe through the ground, sorry to say. I may watch for this event, but I just moved and I don't yet have internet access at home to broadcast a live view. I may post a panorama of pictures afterwards though.

new topics

top topics

join