It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International groups worry over Venezuela's stance on free press

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

International groups worry over Venezuela's stance on free press

edition.cnn.com

The United Nations and the Organization of American States said Saturday they are worried over Venezuelan government statements about an independent TV station that has criticized President Hugo Chavez.

At issue is the Globovision TV station, the sole remaining national broadcaster in Venezuela that is openly critical of Chavez.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well I am not surprised, leave it American and the UN to jump on the wagon whenever a less fortune or less rich country does anything to impeded on "freedom of speech".

Why dont' we worry about our own media and it's truthfullness to the people. Let's talk about our governments influence on the media here at home.

I doubt they would want to have an open discussion about that, then again, it's all done through the owners of said media, so I guess there isn't much that can be done.

Really sad if you ask me. I mean Chavez of all people should invite this kind of stuff from his people. He has the opportunity to show up the United-States any many occasions. Through energy first of all, and now through public support of information and the freedom of expression.

He should use this to his advantage.

~Keeper

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
the disgusting thing is, our media plays both sides in America. We have one "faction" or news outlet which is disgruntled at the head of our country and the government and another which praises them as if they're gods.

We have this illusion, this undercover campaign of falsehood that has covered our eyes, so much so that people in USA will look at this going on in Venezuela as some sort of impediment to free speech, or an impediment if you will. Not knowing that we have the same thing going on here, just much more subtle and for a much longer period of time. this makes me sick.

And because Chavez wont kowtow to the imperialistic demands of western powers, of course he's going to be made an example of. The way the MSM paints the quality and conditions of life in Venezuela is laughable at best. From firsthand sources, Venezuela is actually a decent place to live. In fact i've been told by many venezuelans that they will soon be returning to the country because they feel they may have a better chance over there.

end rant

love and peace

new topics

join