It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain quarantines soldiers after new flu outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The government of Spain has quarentined dozens of soldiers after 11 fell ill on what doctors suspect is the new buird flu virus.

22 May 2009 08:33:35 GMT
Source: Reuters
MADRID, May 22 (Reuters) - The Spanish army has quarantined dozens of soldiers in a Madrid barracks after 11 fell ill with what doctors suspect is the new flu virus, the health ministry said on Friday. Six of the soldiers were admitted to a specially sealed ward in a military hospital while doctors completed tests on Friday to see whether they had contracted the H1N1 strain of the virus, which has infected more than 11,000 people globally and killed at least 85 [ID:nT373964].

"There are others who are isolated as recommended with all cases under investigation. You have to follow protocol and they have to remain isolated until we can confirm whether it is 'Flu A' or not," said the spokesman. "There are quite a few. Dozens, yes."

www.alertnet.org...

This strain is spreading faster than I thought it would, whenever this new strain merges with the Asian swine flu, it will become far more deadlier than it has been so far.

The spread of this strain would suggest that it was intentionally released imo.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I read about the quarantine, but not that it was suspected that the flu was a bird strain- you mentioned HiN1, not H5N1- do you know if those infected are carrying H1N1 or H5N1?

Just want clarification- and thanks for the post!

C

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

Here is another article with more information about this.

It seems that A(H1N1) is a new strain of the swine flu virus.

Spanish soldiers quarantined in swine flu scare

Posted : Fri, 22 May 2009 14:23:50 GMT
Author : DPA
Category : Health
News Alerts by Email ( click here )
Health News | Home

Madrid - Around 60 soldiers at a military academy near Madrid have been quarantined after 11 of their colleagues were found to have swine flu, the Spanish government said Friday. Nine of the 11 soldiers are being treated for high fever in a military hospital, although their condition is not thought to be serious.

Medical examination confirmed the presence of the new A(H1N1) virus in the 11 soldiers, although the source of the infection is not yet known.

In Spain a total of 118 cases of swine flu have so far been confirmed.

www.earthtimes.org...

Now, the following is what the WHO chief is saying about this particular strain.

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday again warned governments of the danger and unpredictability of the A/H1N1 influenza virus, and called on them to adjust their countermeasures according to the changing patterns of the disease.

"This is a very contagious virus. We expect it to continue to spread to new countries and continue to spread within countries already affected," said Dr. Margaret Chan in closing remarks to the 62nd World Health Assembly (WHA).

"In cases where the H1N1 virus is widespread and circulating within the general community, countries must expect to see more cases of severe and fatal infections," she said.

She also urged the international community to watch carefully the behavior of the H1N1 virus as it encounters other influenza viruses circulating during the winter season in the southern hemisphere.

news.xinhuanet.com...

[edit on 25-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yeah! all these news coming from Spain right now, makes me a little bit worried about the coming months for family & friends there!

I had plans to go to Spain for a longer visit this summer, but really having second thougths about going now!

I guess I'll have to stay put here at home!

Damn virus!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Thanks for the articles- I was just trying to clarify your post originally- you mentioned an avianstrain, and I wasn't sure if you meant they had tested for H5N1, or if you were referring to the avian component of the H1N1.

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join