It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USB 3.0 by 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Hi all, came across this article @ CNET.COM. It seems the next instalment of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface is not too far away. Having been an avid fan of the USB interface since its second version (USB 2.0), I welcome the news that this very popular interface will be improved even further. While the current version is very mainstream and widespread, I'm sure many can remember the remarkable improvement USB 2.0 made on the former USB 1.1. Let us hope that 3.0 rises to the occasion and fulfills our expectations.

Original Article - CLICK HERE

When USB 3.0 is expected to hit the market in early 2010, it will have been 10 years since the now ubiquitous USB 2.0 was introduced (April 2000). The current USB 2.0 specification runs at a theoretical maximum speed of 480Mbps, and can supply power (for those looking for the hard details, you can find the USB 2.0 specification here (zip file)).

According to the USB Implementers Forum, there were 2 billion USB 2.0 devices shipped in 2006 (one for every three people in the world), and the install base was 6 billion (almost one for every person in the world). In November 2007, the USB Implementers forum announced the USB 3.0 specifications, and Intel officially demonstrated the technology at CES 2009.

Now, the juice: USB 3.0 promises a theoretical maximum rate of 5Gbps, meaning it's 10 times faster than USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is also full duplex, meaning it can upload and download simultaneously (it's bi-directional); USB 2.0 is only half duplex.

Put side by side with eSATA and FireWire 800, USB 3.0 is far superior. eSATA, an external connection that runs at the same speed as the internal SATA 1.0 bus, has a maximum theoretical of 3Gbps. This makes USB 3.0 faster than eSATA and about six times faster than FireWire 800 (full duplex at 800Mbps).

USB 3.0 also provides another advantage; while eSATA is faster than FireWire 800, unlike FireWire it cannot supply power. USB 3.0 has the advantage of being faster than both, even while supplying power.

Finally, USB 3.0 has improved power management, meaning that devices can move into idle, suspend and sleep states. This potentially means more battery life out of laptops and other battery-based USB-supporting devices like cameras and mobile phones.

Of course, there are other factors to consider; the FireWire 3200 standard is also in the works and promises to allow 3.2GHz speeds on existing FireWire 800 hardware. USB 2.0 generally doesn't meet its theoretical maximum throughput, due to its dependence on hardware and software configuration, where FireWire gets much closer.

It's hard to say whether USB 3.0's updated architecture will still use more CPU time than FireWire does.

But in the age of powerful hardware (can anyone say "3.2GHz, quad-core CPUs"?), all of this means that FireWire is still not going to match USB 3.0's theoretical maximum of 5Gbps.

The ultimate signal that this war has already been won is Apple's recent decision to ditch FireWire from its consumer line in favour of USB. Previously, Cupertino had been one of FireWire's greatest advocates. And surely the company will be one of the first to adopt USB 3.0.

All in all, we can't wait for motherboard manufacturers like Gigabyte and Asus to start supporting the technology and mainstream PC builders like Dell to start integrating it into their products. Bring on the speed.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hmm.. I wonder if that USB 3.0 is backward compatible with the 2.0 devices, else you can throw out the 3 million devices (I personally believe there are more than that). I am still waiting for that USB implant to connect my laptop to my brain

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Hmm.. I wonder if that USB 3.0 is backward compatible with the 2.0 devices, else you can throw out the 3 million devices (I personally believe there are more than that). I am still waiting for that USB implant to connect my laptop to my brain

Yep forgot to think of that. I'm sure everyone wants it to be backwards compatible, but that would be a bit tough because the new interface looks a lot different in its current form. You never know, maybe the end design for USB 3.0 will be more in line with the current design.

If you remember, the original PS3 controller looked like a cross between the moon and a boomerang haha. In the end it worked out better to keep the design similar to that of the PS2.

However, matching the current design seems near impossible because of the shear difference in speed and power. It would also be a dent in the development of USB 3.0 because they would need to cut down on variables to match the shape for the "old" USB 2.0.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

OMG you just made my day... I use a lot of external hard drives for my work as a video editor and i pull my hair out all the time because of the older slower USB connections i have to work with. But if they are coming out with a better faster one this should save me a lot of time im so happy. lol

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
From the picture they posted in the article it looks like USB 3 will be totally backwords compatible with usb 1.1 and 2

Hehhehehe....SWEEEEEET!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
From the picture they posted in the article it looks like USB 3 will be totally backwords compatible with usb 1.1 and 2

Hehhehehe....SWEEEEEET!

Hope you are right. Although isn't USB 1.1 practically obsolete? Even people with older computers now would be USB 2.0. Mine is over 4 years old and all USB ports are 2.0

top topics

join