It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY trial' for Guantanamo inmate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

'NY trial' for Guantanamo inmate

news.bbc.co.uk

An al-Qaeda suspect is to become the first Guantanamo inmate to stand trial in a US civilian court, reports say.

Ahmed Ghailani will be sent to New York to face charges over the 1998 US embassy bombings in East Africa, the White House is expected to announce.

The news comes as the US Senate voted against funding President Obama's plans to close down Guantanamo Bay detention centre and transfer its 240 detainees.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Senate votes to block transfer of Guantanamo prisoners to U.S.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
OK
Here we go. I predict this will be a Dog and pony show. Either he will be let go and we get egg on our face "AGAIN" or most of the proceedings will be held behind closed doors with no real information released to the public so we can decide for ourselves if some of these guys should ever see the light of day.

This is just the first one. Stay tuned this is gonna get bumpy!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So they hold it behind closed doors and if he is deemed innocent we are incompetant. If he is found guilty then it was all for show and we will think he is innocent.

Sounds like a lose, lose type of thing to me.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I predict complete political pandemonium. Either way I think we are going to have egg on our faces.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, it doesn't matter how guilty the guy is. There will be those who will claim that the trial was a sham and we found him guilty just to save face.

Oh well.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
What i want to know about this case is why is the US putting a person on trial for a crime done in Africa. This shows another reason why the US is a worthless POS they cant leave other peoples buisness to themselves they always butt into other peoples lives and try to make them more like the states. Just like Iraq if they want to change thats their deal and if they dont then why do we need to have armed forces to assure that they do change?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pizzle11

Embassies are considered sovereign territory. No matter where they are. That means for example the Russian Embassy in Washington DC is considered a part of Russia.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
No more replies now that is a conspiracy.
Shameless bump.
Then off to the abyss

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The defense could argue for a change/ of venue because the jury pool would be contaminated with what happened on 9/11

Fact of the matter, I don't know anywhere in the US this guy would get a fair trial.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Right.

I was just wondering about that myself. When we as citizens go to trial we have a rite to choose a trial by peers or a judge. Is he/they going to get that option and if so who will be in the jury?

top topics

join