It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia devoloping S-300 based anti-missle system for mideast export

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Development of the advanced S-300 series missile as an antimissile system may be a destablizing influence on Israels ace in the hole, its SLBM counterforce capability.

Without the threat of swift and sure destruction Israels enemies might be emboldened to strike out at the IDF in a massive attack similar to the ones in 1948,56,67 and 73.
www.imra.org.il..." target="_blank" class="postlink">IRMA Story
"Officials said Russia's defense industry has sought to develop a new
interceptor for an advanced S-300 anti-aircraft system. The interceptor
would allow the S-300 to provide missile as well as air defense"

Air Marshal Vladimir Mikhailov said Russian engineers are developing what he termed an
extended-range interceptor in the S-300 marketed to militaries in the Middle
East and Asia.

More on the S-300

Missile Defence Breifing #132

Key facts on standard S-300, Cypriot export version

Mobile Launch vehicle, notice large radar array

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
We have one of these programs don't we. Hopefully Russia stays out of Middle Eastern buisness.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zuzubar
We have one of these programs don't we. Hopefully Russia stays out of Middle Eastern buisness.

We have the Patriot antimissle system which has been upgraded since the first gulf war.

Being that the middle east constitutes a large area immediatly south of Russia and its breakaway states, you can count on continued Russian involvment in middlle eastern affairs. Chechen rebels are just as dangerous to them as al-quida is to us, we are the great satan, the Russians are godless infidals.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Given the Russian track record on quality technology, I don't think the Israelis or NATO countries have much to worry about.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Unfortunatly the old view of Russian tech does'nt hold true on their missile systems, in particular the S-300 is a very deadly anti-aircraft system best avoided by belligerant forces.

Contrary to commom belief they have some of the brightest engineers in the world working on systems such as these, I would not underestimate them in this area.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Though I wholeheartedly agree with what you mention above, the system is still looking like "HARM bait".

Some info on the system:
S-300PMU SA-10 GRUMBLE - Russia / Soviet Nuclear Forces
THE 1997 MOSCOW AIRSHOW: S-300 "Favorit" Missile Defence System
S-300PMU-1 (SA-10a/b Grumble)

seekerof

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Seekerof, Harm bait is what all radar directed missile batteries become..........but if the long game ends up being a way to counter Isreali counterforce attack that would mean that IAF would need available strike craft ready to counter anti-missile batteries in as many as three different belligerent countries simultainously, I'm not at all sure they have that capability. These S-300 anti-missile batteries are defensive in nature not offensive but they may provide the impetus to attack with a strategic defense in place inside the belligerent nations, thats why I see this as a destabilizing influence. The status of Israel having nuclear weapons since the mid seventies has been the one check on arab aggression since the yom kippur war in 73' - without that clear advantage I fear that the more radical among the arab military establishment will advocate a final battle to overun Israel, causing WW-4 as other nations join in - the S-300 development is very bad news all the way around.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
For decades we were told of the great efficiency of the Soviet weapon systems. We always have over estimated the other guy's weapons so that we (the US) would spend even more money on defeating them. During Gulf War 1, we were treated to all of the pundit's tales of how the vaunted Russian built air defense would shoot down so many coalition pilots. I remember listening to a General expecting twenty percent or so casualties after the first few days of the war. It never happened. So talking up the Russians weapon systems is nothing new, in the Balkans we heard the same thing. It never happened. One weapon system is not a threat to NATO or Israel, unless it's a Nuke ;p

Yes, it may be great at its job but, if it is destroyed when it is turned on it is useless. War has too many variables to hinge on one weapon system, period.

Variable

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Variable I'm not talking up Russian systems at all and I would agree that the U.S. would find or have a way to neutralize these missiles when used as an anti-AIRCRAFT defense.

The issue I'm bringing forth is the defensive anti-MISSLE defense use of the S-300 system based inside of arab countries that Isreal cannot have the luxury of time to neutralize while at the same time protecting itself from a massive coordinated attack as it has faced in the past. The wild card stopping this attack has been and will be Israels nuclear counterstike force based on SLBM subs and air delivery systems.

Were the arab nations to find a way to mitigate this response by Isreal, they indeed may be tempted to resume full scale war on three fronts.

The S-300 anti-MISSILE system may provide that motivation.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ok, let's take a different tack. Assume the Arabs have a way to neutralize the Israeli SLBMs. Now assume they decide to launch a coordinated ground and air attack against the Jews. Why do you think the Arabs would fair any better today then they did previously. The Israelis are certainly better equipped now. The Arabs are still huge fans of cold war era Soviet weapons systems...

Taking the SLBM's off the table and starting a war would simply give the Israeli's more land than they already have. I would also think that using Nukes would be a last resort for Israel, the land area we are talking about over there is pretty small. Egypt and Iraq would not be involved... Nuke Syria and Jordan? You had better watch those prevailing wind charts...

I also would never bet against Israel. They are some tough damn fighters.

Variable

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
already built.. it is called antey-2500, it is being sold to iran syria etc..

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Do you remember when the Russians were caught selling night vision goggles and missle radar jammers to the Iraqis just before this last war in Iraq?..... now this system being offered for sale in the middle east?

I have to wonder if Russia is just looking to make some $$$... or if there is a deeper hidden agenda here.

hmmm

Gazz

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Do you remember when the Russians were caught selling night vision goggles and missle radar jammers to the Iraqis just before this last war in Iraq?..... now this system being offered for sale in the middle east?

I have to wonder if Russia is just looking to make some $$$... or if there is a deeper hidden agenda here.

hmmm

Gazz

Every nation wishes to sell arms.
USA included.

new topics

top topics

join