It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I heard an interesting interview on Coast to Coast (2009-05-16) from the author of: The Dumbest Generation - *or don't trust anybody under 30 years old by Mark Bauerlein.

Mark Bauerlein discussed why the near total immersion in the digital world has made young people less interested in the world around them, and how this jeopardizes our future

At first I was thinking "yeah every previous generation had the same claim", but after listening to it again (from YouTube, link below), I sort of agree with the author for the most part (some of his comments hit home, crystal clear).

I'm 50 years old, and when I reflect on my high school years and how (and how much) I learned Math's, Physics, etc. when compare to today kid's with instant messaging (thru class) and how much effort they put into their study (since they are too much busy relating to their peers), I can see a big problem in the horizon.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Well that's just silly. That would be calling some of the inivators of the modern digital age "Dumb".

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Don't have time to watch the videos but I can relate. About a decade ago, texting exploded in popularity (we invented the term "texting", after all back when it was still called SMS in other places) and teachers were complaining that students were using txtspeak in essays, exams, etc.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yes video games and the mass of technology can create drones. Luckily, even though I am not over 30 I grew up in a remote area catching frogs and snakes and riding my bicycle. Luckily such things like the mass of entertainment weren't a part of my life as they are to so many other children. I am mixed on the subject but any child that sits inside for hours playing video games instead of experiencing the real world, gaining social skills and all else that comes with life is at a loss.

I am aware of what television and the mass of media entertainment can do as my younger brother is always looking to be entertained or watch a movie. I just can't quite seem to get the point across to him that he needs to go out and use his imagination as so many other children have. He needs to go out and learn about what is going on around him. Sadly with the entertainment as it is, currently a lot of children are being raised as drones. And what is worse is that their perspective of reality is based on such entertainment.

It is also sad to watch a social event turn into a cell phone frenzy. A lot of kids that are uncomfortable or not socially apt will pull out their phone. I see it way too much. I am somewhat glad I don't have a cell phone and decided to lose my TV. It's been a few years since I made that choice but I'll tell ya, I've learned a lot more and gained more immense, real world experience.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
Don't have time to watch the videos but I can relate. About a decade ago, texting exploded in popularity (we invented the term "texting", after all back when it was still called SMS in other places) and teachers were complaining that students were using txtspeak in essays, exams, etc.

In fact those are audio files, if someone prefer to download an MP3 version of it: (part 2 thru 4)

Coast.to.Coast.AM.May.16.2009-komie.torrent

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I don't agree with this assessment at all.

Just look at all the trouble the baby boomer generation has gotten us into over the years.

Not to mention all of the old cronies that have basically ruined the United States.

I would at least give this generation a chance before you call them the dumbest generation yet.

Most people 40+ are so technologically "dumb" that it's almost comical(Not saying everyone is).

You know younger generations learn from the ones that came before them... Maybe the blame should rest on the older generations shoulders?

Are they learning from the best? I don't think so.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

Just look at all the trouble the baby boomer generation has gotten us into over the years.

Not to mention all of the old cronies that have basically ruined the United States.

I would at least give this generation a chance before you call them the dumbest generation yet.

Most people 40+ are so technologically "dumb" that it's almost comical(Not saying everyone is).

You know younger generations learn from the ones that came before them... Maybe the blame should rest on the older generations shoulders?

But you also have a very good point. Try explaining something technical or even somewhat modern to older people and sometimes it is damn near impossible. Can't teach a old dog new tricks? Not entirely sure as some are different but I guess it's all about proper balance. I am to often reminded of trying to explain the most simple things with computers to my grandma or dad and that is sheer hell.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

As I said, I was more or less thinking along your line, except that I listen to the interview carefully and I changed my mind.

In fact the way you reply provide ammunition to the author argument.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
We are not the dumbest generation , but the most programed generation.

The programing started with our parents and that way we were born into it already and needed no adjusting.

We are so influenced ( all young people are ) but it ha really taken over our culture.

The older I get the more i realize how a larger percentage of youth have almost no respect for anyone older than them.

We were set up to play a role for our gov through schooling and awkward social activities.

I don't think the same as the "Mainstream" and I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and of how other people act when most in general are just focused on them selves.

We have so much options in life as individuals that we do more stuff by ourselves and that in turn makes it easy to manipulate us indivdualy.

We still have the ability to be smart people, and it's not that we are dumb, we are gullable, and trusting of those who are in power.

We forget history and constantly repeat mistakes and don't learn from them due to lack of consequences compared to years past.

We aren't growing up as fast and learning responsibilities as much. I feel like I wasn't properly perpared like maybe my parents were and thats due to the fact that they had no other choice.

Dumb no, but def the most used generation.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'm 50 years old, and when I reflect on my high school years and how (and how much) I learned Math's, Physics, etc. when compare to today kid's with instant messaging (thru class) and how much effort they put into their study (since they are too much busy relating to their peers), I can see a big problem in the horizon.

My comments add ammunition to the authors claims? Sorry I am very outspoken and can't stand when older generations claim they are the smartest generation without giving people a chance.

As for your comment it's completely biased. You act like all kids are texting each-other answers to tests or math equations and that is completely laughable. You also seem to think you know every kids study habits or the amount of effort each person puts into their studies... You are far removed from high-school and college and it shows.

This generation is too busy relating to their peers?

What generation has not tried extremely hard to relate to their peers? Look at all the fads that kids were so into in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

Sorry that the new generations have technology at their fingertips.

All in all it comes down to Indoctrination, these younger generations have had so much BS rammed down their throats it's no wonder they act the way they do.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
All I have to say is that anyone who deals in absolutes such as "dont trust anyone under thirty" has shown their hand as a sensationalist, and is ignorant enough to not be worth my time.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I start to realized (from everybody reply) that there is a BIG difference between those who happens to listen to that show when aired (or from YouTube, so far, none) and those who reply from that catchy provocative title "Dumbest Generation".

Most of your argument support the author claim, except for the root cause analysis (what is profoundly different with this generation (constant digital/video entertaining) when compare to previous one).

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

You should be able to go pass a "catchy editor marketing plot subtitle"

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

You should be able to go pass a "catchy editor marketing plot subtitle"

No, i shouldnt. Sensationalism is the A#1 problem with the mainstream media. I will not participate in it.

If someone has a REAL message, sensationalism and "marketing" ploys should not be necessary.

Shrugging it off is apathy, and advocates it's continuance.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Sorry that the new generations have technology at their fingertips.

Exactly the author claim:

Mark Bauerlein discussed why the near total immersion in the digital world has made young people less interested in the world around them, and how this jeopardizes our future

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If someone has a REAL message, sensationalism and "marketing" ploys should not be necessary.

Agree, but in real life, there could be a difference between what an author put in his/her book and what the editor put on the front cover, including the title (unless you publish it yourself).

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Agree, but in real life, there could be a difference between what an author put in his/her book and what the editor put on the front cover, including the title (unless you publish it yourself).

And your point is? It is still participating in the fear-mongering, propaganda filled, rhetoric laden filth that the MSM is putting out there as mental warfare AGAINST YOU.

It is pitting one group against another, and that is dangerous.

Bottom line, if you are about getting your info across, and not making a buck, sensationalism shouldnt be there.

And for the record, the "real world" is what you make it. That we as a society buy into this drivel is the only reason it still exists.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is a generalisation, but it works, in general!

I work at a Tertiary Institution and have noticed through the years the decline of interest in History, the decline in general communication, note taking and research skills and the general decline in communication unless it is digitally enhanced!

I have noticed the rise in lack of personal safety or compliance with personal protective equipment when working in labs. Even with signs plastered all over the place and constant reiteration of the importance of compliance with these rules the 'kids' seem to pay no mind.

On the other hand, I have been blown away by the work produced by some of these 'dumb' kids.

It's like the Curate's egg: "Parts of it are good".

[edit on 18-5-2009 by aorAki]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think my students are as intelligent as we were and they certainly are technologically more advanced.

The biggest problem I have with students concerns research. Most of my students do not go to books for information for their papers but the internet. Now the internet has tremendous amounts of knowledge and wisdom, but there is no real way for students to assess the credibility of their sources. The internet can and does say about anything it is possible to say. There is no sifting of information, no separation of the wheat from the chaff. A person can go to the internet to learn about the holocaust, for example, and can also read denials that the holocaust ever happened. One is given no indication about the reliability of each side.

When books were the primary source of information there were steps the writer and publisher had to go through before the book could be released. If it was a book about rockets, for example, selected experts on rockets would first read the manuscript to see if the information, in their opinion, was true and reliable. The book would be subjected to a jury of one's peers before it would pass muster and go on to be published.

There is no such process for sifting the information on the internet. One can and does find support for just about anything you can imagine on any subject.

A reader can always exercise his or her own judgment about the information they are getting, but what if you're a student who has yet to develop your judgment? There should be guidelines for students, and at present there are none.

I would much prefer that students go to the library as well as the internet when they are doing research, but it's very hard to convince students that this will probably give them more reliable information than if they just took anything and everything they find on the net and assumed it was all equally true.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Not knowing anything about Tesla makes us all dumb.
Although science has progressed in a seemingly orderly manner
and without much cause for finding anything missing except for
further studies into Tesla's work.
The man who invented radio and made it work must have had
more things to tell us about than his Illuminati appointed translators
are willing to tell us about.

new topics

top topics

join