It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landslide in India Vote Reshapes Landscape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Landslide in India Vote Reshapes Landscape

www.nytimes.com

Eleven years ago, when she took over as president of India’s oldest political party, Sonia Gandhi was seen as India’s most improbable politician: a foreigner with a shaky command of Hindi, reclusive to the point of seeming aloof, a wife who had fought to keep her husband from joining politics and who lost him to an assassination.

Today, Mrs. Gandhi, 62, is credited with having scored a stunning political coup. Her Indian National Congress party made its best performance in 25 years in the parliamentary elections
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The Indian elections are over and the Congress party is all set to form the government again. Manmohan Singh was the prime minister who turned India into an economic power house and a force to reckon with globally.

He fostered close ties with US and at the same time ameliorated the old friendhip between Russia and India.

Manmohan Singh is an economist and a diplomat and not a politician. I think his credentials as an excellent leader have been rewarded by the Indian voters.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I guess the Indian voter got confused with the Shelling of tamils in srilanka, taliban in pakistan as well as China conducting war games.....I could not believe the turnout of this election especially after the PM being acclaimed as weak by many other politicians...I am mainly worried on how he is to tacle the security threat we are facing especially by China. You need to back your claims about him making India an economic power house, reccession started when the congress was in power.....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CuteAngel

You need to back your claims about him making India an economic power house

In the last five years, somewhere in the haze of India's rapid economic growth and the glowing corporate performance, the spotlight turned away from one man who years ago had changed the way India's economy moved.

Dr Manmohan Singh.

As finance minister in Narasimha Rao's government of the nineties, Manmohan Singh was the man who ushered in the reforms that liberalized India's economy, changing the fundamental way that in corporate India thinks and with it the lives of millions of middle class Indians.

Source: Indian economy and Manmohan Singh

In 1991, we recollect that the Indian economy was in shambles. Manmohan Singh was the finance minister who revolutionized the Indian economy with reforms. in the last 10 years, india has seen a growth rate of 8 %, only China has seen a growth rate like this. Forex reserves poured in and inflation was healthy.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Well, that just proves that he's an excellent finance minister. A prime minister has far more things that he needs to look into, for instance the security of the nation. We can note that during his reign there were several bomb blasts in Bangalore, Ahmedabad and not to forget the mumbai terror attacks...It just shows that the terrorists see the government as being vulnerable and prone to give into attacks...
If your gonna argue about the reforms they were mainly for farmers as well as to help the rural areas, the middle class got nothing out of it as usual. Another thing, India is made up of Muslims, Christians , hindus with a minor amount of jews, jains and buddhists...what made him say that the first priority of the country's resources should be given to muslims...? Is it not that there are down trodden in all religions as well!!! This was somthing that irritated me the most given the fact that there are needy people in all sects...that claim is the greatest abomination....
There are very little he has done to improve security especially at a time like this when the world is plagued with terrorism....Passing laws and reforms is gonna do nothing about stopping terrorism, like the terrorists are gonna care about the laws that he passes.....he's doing very less to increase the size of the army as well as to modernise the army, which could help the security. I am all for Dr.M as PM except for the fact that the congress calls itself to be secular and are way away from being secular

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel . . . You need to back your claims about him making India an economic power house, reccession started when the congress was in power.....

The recession has for the most part been world-wide. The causes are many and complex so I don't think you can blame the Congress Party entirely for it just because they happened to be there when the whole house of economic cards fell down.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

what made him say that the first priority of the country's resources should be given to muslims...?

Is there any source of this information that you have given ?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I read it in the 'Times Of India' news paper last month during the campaigns, sorry I dont have the websites....The people need to be united not divided more than it already is, the government is doing such a wonderfull job of 'divide and rule' as it is clear that they have no intention of secularism.....
The congress has come to power multiple times in India and has soo little to show for it and the people of India have clearly spoken, they dont want any change. So I guess India will continue how it is for the next century or soo before we can actually see some development....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Woow...no replies...Does this mean I have Won....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The congress has come to power multiple times in India and has soo little to show for it and the people of India have clearly spoken,

What has BJP done for India? hand a bunch of terrorists to Taliban?
I think the Congress party is the lesser of evils in India today. They have a youth leadership that is more active today (Rahul gandhi). The Advani era is over and, Modi is the only face of BJP now.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

What has BJP done for India? hand a bunch of terrorists to Taliban?

I think that statement is very shallow, you think it would have been better to let innocent civilians trapped in a plane face horrible death rather than negotiate with the terrorists so as to save lives...? The terrorists could eventually be captured, it was the plight of the moment that led to the incident so as to avoid civilian casuality....If you see that wrong then all we would have had is multiple people massacred and 99% of them would have been civilians. There have also been senarious where prisoners have been exchanged in many nations like between India/Pakistan, Israel/Palestine etc. This is the same as that....
You ask what the BJP did....They have come to power only once and were provided with the opportunity as to be able to do somthing only once...Getting things done in India is not so easy, it takes a long time to be able to bring about anything. They would need more than 1 term to show something. When a party comes to power after a long break or for the first time, they would normally use the first term to stabilise themselves and only starting from the second term we would be able to see some improvements. My point is that the congress have come to power multiple times and have soo less to show for it..
As far as BJP goes there are multiple talented people apart from Modi. They did get the majority in many states, they did exceptionally bad in the southern states with not even 1 seat and could'nt convince many of the rural places to vote for them. Rahul Gandhi and the party president is Italians...I dont know what they are gonna know about India's heritage and spiritualism as well as India's foreign policy goes....As far as limiting Russia goes that started out during BJp's reign when Aeriel Sharone visited india for the first time....Most of the arms that Russia sells India like the Sukhoi 30 MKI's as well as many others are proving to be second or third hand as they are default, so India, I guess should be more Israel focused rather than Russia.....
Remember BJP won the elections along with its allies in 1999 and in 2004 it was the single largest party to get the max. number of votes, cong. won in 2004 only because of its allies....The current election has been the worst since 1991 for BJP and many attribute it to Advani's leadership......

top topics

join