It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sleep Paralysis Lethal As You Grow Older

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've had sleep paralysis for quite some years now

I wake up in the middle of the night completely paralyzed and I can't breathe
all I can do is move my eyeballs

lately I have been treating it like a fight
I put my all in fighting the paralysis and it works more efficiently every time

but it's like the sleep paralysis is adapting me to adapting

now when I get sleep paralysis, I fight it, fall back asleep, then I might immediately get it again. Because of this it's like going under water for some time, coming back up for water for a small period then going back down.
Like not being able to breathe when your already out of breath.

I get sleep paralysis more often too, sometimes once a week, sometimes twice.
Used to be only every month or for the last 6 years or so

But how do you deal with it when your old?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Get medical help! This is outright crazy! I only have had it twice, two times too much. The first time I was totally freaked and the second time I knew what it was and just went back to sleep.

I also have experienced fake awakenings (I have lucid dreams once in a while). I find myself thinking: crapz I am still in the twiglight zone and asleep, I wonder how many times this will happen before actually waking up in the real world (that is outside Dreamland
).

Back to you OP, what I know is that sleep paralysis is closely related to being overstressed. I would suggest taking those nice supplements as valerian, poppy (no no opium unfortunately
Oops am I now against regulations? Well what can I say) and passion flower. And to reorganize your life into more order and a fixed rhythm.

I don't think that sleep paralysis is fatal over time, but why would you have to endure this?

[edit on 17-5-2009 by QueenofWeird]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Sleep paralasis happens to everyone, when they sleep to protect the body, while it rests body and mind. somepeople wake up in this state. but are usually breathing.

i think you are suffering sleep paralasis and sleep apnea. not a nice combination i imagine. But i cant really see what the doctors can do to treat this.

also whether it becomes lethal as you get older i have no idea, but i doubt it. kjust dont take any sedatives before going to sleep, as they will relax you too much, when you want to start breathing again.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I will not seek medical help as I am able to handle it and it doesnt' affect my life or lifestyle whatsoever except for 'experience' it gives me.

And I hate big pharma, so why would I be their customer?

What doesn't kill you..yet... makes you stronger... for now

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Strange someone would mention/start a thread on this subject...Hmmm...

I hadn't thought this was very common, but, now could be wrong...

I've had sleep apnea for a number of years and never knew it till a Ex became concerned, and called EMS...imagine my surprise being "awoken" by a room of EMT's leaning over me with concerned looks on their faces!!!

Later tests at a sleep clinic confirmed my "severe" classification...

During my condition, before being alerted to it, I'd often have strange dreams...

Sometimes I'd have a dream of holding my breath and being able to fly!

The longer I held my breath, the longer/higher I could fly...

It seemed very real...I could see myself rising...the house, neighborhood, I could even remember feeling the wind on my face!

In my "dream" when I finally stopped holding my breath, I'd start falling and would actually "feel" as if I WAS falling...till I'd awake with a terrible *pop*... practically jumping off/out of bed...

In the other "dream" version I'd be in a paralyzed semi-conscious state, with the feeling of falling, unable to control it, till I'd "physically force"/"will" myself to move...

A very disconcerting, helpless and terrifying feeling to say the least...

I still have very deep memories of this experience and have these episodes occasionally...though not as frequently as in the past...

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone???

Edit to add: To this day, when ever I go to the hospital, with my heart condition, and am on monitors...I get code blues called occasionally...my heart beat and respiration drop so low, it sets off the alarms and I am awoken by "gaggle" of staff

[edit on 5/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

top topics

join