It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 arrested at Notre Dame protest against Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

19 arrested at Notre Dame protest against Obama

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Nineteen demonstrators were arrested at Notre Dame University on Saturday as they protested against President Obama's scheduled commencement speech Sunday, campus police said.

The protesters were not students and they were arrested for trespassing when they stepped on the campus, which is private property, Notre Dame police spokesman Dennis Brown told CNN Radio.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It looks like things are beginning to heat up even more between the Neoconservative Right and the new Democratic Administration with President Obama’s controversial engagement to speak at Notre Dame’s commencement ceremonies on Sunday the 16th of May.

The Pope is opposed to the loosening of restrictions on Stem Cell Research and abortion and while Rome has not called on Notre Dame to cancel the President’s commencement address it does look like the good lambs or Rome are leading the new President to the typical Christian slaughter via the invitation has the university has seen protests and arrests of several prominent anti-abortion political figures this week who have sought out the University and the controversy for a bully pulpit.

It makes one wonder as 19 more arrests follow today if Rome’s stance and Notre Dame’s in inviting the new President is simply to create a lightening rod for more strenuously delivering their single minded religious take on things like abortion and stem cell research.

As local authorities continue to crack down will it be seen as an attempt by the President to stifle dissent or as an attempt by the institution of Notre Dame itself to create the illusion that the dissent is being stifled to provide for the Presidents safety and security to further incite and agitate the religious right?

What are your thoughts?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow I thought this story had it all, religion, politics, a great Foot Ball school and even the Pope?

I guess my friends are right? I need to get out more on Saturday nights!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
A star and a flag from me! I am very interested to see how much support these folks get from the 'free speechers', here on ATS. The video shows they were not violent and did not resist arrest. They were, peacefully, protesting what they consider to be a wrong. Whether or not you agree with their message, they have the right to peacably assemble.

My opinion is that this is just another wedge the elite is driving between us, continuing their advancement of class warfare. Thus, diverting our attention away from their corruption, deception and greed. If the masses are fighting amongst themselves, they won't direct their ire toward those seeking more power and control.

Thanks for the post! I'll be watching.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

which is private property

I wonder if they were warned about trespassing before they were arrested? If not, that seems a little excessive (not giving them a chance to leave), but their arrest were perfectly legal.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
First off, I agree with WTFover. S for you my friend.

Second off, S and F for the OP. While I don't agree with the protesters, I will defend their right to peacefully protest, no matter the subject, till the day I die. I still don't fully understand why the current President would want to do any form of public speaking for a college, but that's just me.

While I don't know much about Notre Dame, I would have to guess that it is not as much of a Catholic school as people would have me believe. Kind of like Texas Christian University. You have any idea how many of those kids are actually "Christian" even half of the time? Not very many. Maybe it's ignorance on my part, but I would think that Notre Dame would kind of the same. I guess that's where some of my, I guess you could call it confusion, comes from when they (the MSM) speak of this like all of the students are raising such a fuss over this.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

A star and a flag from me! I am very interested to see how much support these folks get from the 'free speechers', here on ATS. The video shows they were not violent and did not resist arrest. They were, peacefully, protesting what they consider to be a wrong. Whether or not you agree with their message, they have the right to peacably assemble.

They were peaceable demonstrations albeit on private university property. You might think the university would like to display how free speech and democracy works first hand in an educational environment. Kent State sure did demonstrate that peacefully demonstrating can have deadly repercussions. I don’t think anything is going to stop the War Against Terror or the War on Drugs or the political and criminal corruption running rampant through Wall Street and Washington other than mass demonstrations that put an end to wide spread tolerance for these things, when they media can no longer because of them convince the more easily swayed that there is wide spread tolerance and approval for these things. Frightening people into not demonstrating is the government’s best and most effective weapon in retaining it’s amalgamated illegal powers over the citizens and their lives.

My opinion is that this is just another wedge the elite is driving between us, continuing their advancement of class warfare. Thus, diverting our attention away from their corruption, deception and greed. If the masses are fighting amongst themselves, they won't direct their ire toward those seeking more power and control.

I agree with you 100% friend. The divide and conquer aspects of warfare are constantly at play here, rich against the poor, old against the young, black against the white, conservative against liberal, each trying to justify and validate their ideology and philosophies at the others expense, everyone though involved with that process outwitted by those using the whole human inclination against them at everyone’s expense. You would think people would be smarter and learn.

Thanks for the post! I'll be watching.

Your welcome and a big star for you too friend for such a poignant and thoughtful addition.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

which is private property

I wonder if they were warned about trespassing before they were arrested? If not, that seems a little excessive (not giving them a chance to leave), but their arrest were perfectly legal.

There have been arrests at the campus throughout the week who were also non-students utilizing the campus to protest.

I am sure that the demonstrators likely knew this and were counting on getting arrested which in reality creates more publicity for their cause and individual notariety within their various movements than not getting arrested and having a completely peaceful and non-newsworthy demonstration.

Where I think the conspiracy angle is in such a story is if the University is choosing to arrest them to gain those specific positions publicity.

Many Catholics are outraged that a pro-choice, President who advocates stem cell research that culls stem cells from aborted human fetuses has been invited to speak at Notre Dame which is a Catholic University.

The University itself is in part driving the controversy and keeping it in the media through the arrests of demonstrators who are demonstrating for what the Catholic Church itself would like to see, which is illegal abortion and no stem cell research.

new topics

top topics

join