It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithium in Water Shown to Curb Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Lithium in Water Shown to Curb Suicide

dsc.discovery.com

Tap water spiked with naturally-occurring lithium has been shown to curb suicide, according to a new study from Japan and appearing in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

..."I do not think [cities should start adding lithium to the water supply], because our study is a preliminary one and further studies are required to establish evidence."

...Taken orally, and in much higher doses than are found in the water examined by Terao and his authors, lithium treats psychiatric disorders ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bakers furious at 'mass medication' of NZ's bread
the flouride conspiracy?
Is flouride being used to destroy creative centers in brain?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Oh great. Now we'll get flouride AND lithium.

It's an interesting study, especially as the amounts are minute and still have an effect.

But our keepers predictably will consider spiking our drinking water as a means to curb riots, given the growing global financial crisis and coming pandemic.

Voting against lithium won't help, as evidenced most recently in New Zealand.

www.abovetopsecret.com...]Bakers furious at 'mass medication' of NZ's bread

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-5-2009 by soficrow]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Interesting. Had some pure lithium, and due to a drop of moisture on the cutting board, it ignited.

Kicked it off the counter to the tile, and it melted through the ceramic tile.

So, in lesser concentrations, it makes us less suicidal.

In pure form you can commit a horrible suicide by swallowing it.

Makes sense.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm curious how they can immediately attribute a lower suicide rate to lithium in the water. There are many sociological factors that can effect suicide rate as well as many other physical variables on a regional basis.

Quite simply...there are too many factors involved to retroactively apply the cause of a lowered suicide rate to minute doses of lithium in the water. Now...if this were a considered study with prior knowledge and intent then a case may be made (a weak one) but I really think that this is a red herring story...in my opinion of course.

It does bring up the consideration of long term effects that certain drugs have on the human physiology but that is an entirely different topic...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Keep it out of the drinking water. suicide's a choice, let people make that decision if they want.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I wonder about the potential reaction between fluoride and lithium?
Does anyone have any information on this? (yes, I could '*oogle') but then you research junkies wouldn't have anything to do!

Yeah Dooper, I've seen lithium zip around a swimming pool like a jet boat on speed! I enjoyed my High School Science Classes.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
There was precious little information in the article cited.

It seems that this was a simple corollary study based on known naturally occurring lithium in the water supply and the known suicide rate.

Presumably, there was some control group in the study, but I didn't see it mentioned.

The author of the study does not conclude that lithium should be added to the water supply based on his study and I can't see why anyone else would come to that conclusion.

As one poster noted, there are many variables related to suicide, some of which are sociological, as Durkheim noted in his seminal work, "Suicide."

The implications of the research should not be minimized, but I don't think that the study is cause for concern at this time.

[edit on 2009/5/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This story was discussed in the breaking news forum two weeks ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Moving this thread to the medical forum.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sorry.

I searched 'lithium,' I swear I did!

Next time, I'll google it - works better as I recall.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Where was this study actually carried out and on whose water supply.
I can see the text states britain and Japan- are those the actual locals of testing or where the research was documented?
I dont know if thats been trialed here in Australia, but, with our federal and state governments selling Utilities such as Sydeny Water to private interests; with government standards questionably upheld- God knows what they are putting in our water!!??
As for the Suicide rate, working in a Forensic environment, I can tell you it is alive and well; more common than what the general public realize.
I think the media are told not to report suicide, as we have a failing health system here, with very little mental health care available. The health ministers' integrity is questioned enough without having this on their plate as well- poor souls

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

This BBC article contains more information that you might find useful.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

My thanks Grady

Well, this study is all well and good, but what for the rest of the population that do not feel suicidal??I suppose they will keep working on us !
Its probably another likely excuse to drug us up- in an attempt to make us more submissive!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Makes sense. The annual average suicide rate among people with diagnosed bipolar disorder is 10 to 20 times that of the general population. Lithium is used to treat bipolar disorder.

If the results of the study turn out to be valid, I'd bet that this is the underlying mechanism.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

In my experience, its interesting to note, that individuals with supposed diagnosed bi-polar disorder etc; are given an armada of medication.
It is not uncommon to see, one person being prescribed >5 different medications at one time at the time of death.
Makes you wonder how doctors find a balance, if any, within the prescibed meds.....?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777

with our federal and state governments selling Utilities such as Sydeny Water to private interests; with government standards questionably upheld- God knows what they are putting in our water!!??

VERY good point. Many water supplies around the world are privatized.

...And no, we don't get to know what they put in the water...

I still think the press on lithium in the water is a trial balloon to pitch/justify a back-up plan to medicate the masses when things get really rough.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Great Thread.

Two points:

1) I don't think it's the governments business to put chemicals in our water.

However...

2) I am currently taking a natural trace mineral supplement that contains reasonably high levels of lithium. It's an inland sea formula and must cost me literally 2 pennies a day. I find that the combination of chemicals makes a big differenc to my mood- I feel very balanced when I take it. Not a grinning, empty happiness, like I imagine people get on anti-depressants, but a genuine energy and love for life. I can cetainly vouch for the anti-depressant effects of lithium, but I think it should be up to each individual to take it as he or she sees fit.

EDIT: Just ran upstairs and looked at the bottle. I'm currently ingesting about 1-5 mls of Lithium per day, along with a ton of other other trace minerals. It's the synergy that's important.

NOTE: The RDA of Lithium is 1000mcg per day, but RDAs are generally considered to be too low by many health practitioners. Anyone famililar with Linus Paulings work knows that the RDA for Vit C is way way too low.

[edit on 15f20091amMon, 18 May 2009 06:01:20 -050020 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
Great Thread.

1) I don't think it's the governments business to put chemicals in our water.

Great post - starred.

BUT - many (most?) water supply systems are owned and operated by corporate interests.

So they're the one's that would be medicating us, to keep us in line...

- sofi

How Could an Event in 1997 Cause a Pandemic in 2009? What Happened?

[edit on 18-5-2009 by soficrow]

new topics

top topics

join