It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instant-Mix Imperial Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My favorite in-person Conspiracy Theorist told me about a month ago to "GO FIND THIS SPEECH!"

Everyday since then that I have seen him, he has yelled at me because I had neglected to do so.

So today I decided to check it out, and figured I should share it with those who are very politically-minded in terms of these international conflicts. I'm not, myself. But maybe some of you will gain something from reading it. It's called the "Instant-Mix Imperial Democracy." It was given in New York City at The Riverside Church on May 13, 2003. I know that this is awhile ago, but this is a brilliant perspective and the speech is still applicable today. It was given by Arundhati Roy, she is an Indian writer and an activist. She is a critic of Israel, and also somewhat of the United States. I have provided a link to the text of her speech, a snippet from that, and the Google video of the speech. Enjoy.

www.commondreams.org...

In these times, when we have to race to keep abreast of the speed at which our freedoms are being snatched from us, and when few can afford the luxury of retreating from the streets for a while in order to return with an exquisite, fully formed political thesis replete with footnotes and references, what profound gift can I offer you tonight?

As we lurch from crisis to crisis, beamed directly into our brains by satellite TV, we have to think on our feet. On the move. We enter histories through the rubble of war. Ruined cities, parched fields, shrinking forests, and dying rivers are our archives. Craters left by daisy cutters, our libraries.

So what can I offer you tonight? Some uncomfortable thoughts about money, war, empire, racism, and democracy. Some worries that flit around my brain like a family of persistent moths that keep me awake at night.

Some of you will think it bad manners for a person like me, officially entered in the Big Book of Modern Nations as an "Indian citizen," to come here and criticize the U.S. government. Speaking for myself, I'm no flag-waver, no patriot, and am fully aware that venality, brutality, and hypocrisy are imprinted on the leaden soul of every state. But when a country ceases to be merely a country and becomes an empire, then the scale of operations changes dramatically. So may I clarify that tonight I speak as a subject of the American Empire? I speak as a slave who presumes to criticize her king.

Google Video Link

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thank you most kindly, for sharing this speech. It's the kind of thing one should print and hand there kids.

If only to remind us, and them, there are issues we as American must face. Especially in regards to the institutional contract between American civil society and the government that owes us it's total obedience.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Maxmars! I'm so glad you found this thread. I also thought it was pretty important when I posted it, and I watched it sink down the "recent posts" page and went:

But. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the speech. I think that she makes some brilliant points, and does such a wonderful job... I hope that more people find it.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I understand the disappointment completely.

Hopefully, more than a few casual visitors will hearken to its message, and take from it what they can.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is a great speech!

I first came across snippets of it when watching "We"

Google Video Link

Favourite line: "Welcome the to the world"

Thanks for brining it to our attention.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

No problem, Gools! I'm glad that you're a fan, as well. I did not know that snippets from it had been used in other films. Pretty cool!

top topics

join