It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble gets new stabilising gyros and batteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I know there's a couple threads going on about the recent shuttle launch but I haven't seen any information as to what exactly they are doing to the telescope. I found this on NewScientist and figured I would share so others can know what is going on up there.

Spacewalking astronauts outfitted the Hubble Space Telescope with new batteries and gyroscopes on Friday. The gyroscopes were the shuttle servicing mission's top priority, as they help the telescope orient itself in space. But one of the three new gyro units did not fit properly, and astronauts had to install a spare instead.

The installation of the gyros took longer than planned, but astronauts Mike Massimino and Michael Good decided to plough ahead with the rest of the day's spacewalk plans to replace three of Hubble's six batteries. To accommodate the extra work, the astronauts' sleep schedule will be pushed forward by one hour.

The space shuttle Atlantis is currently orbiting Earth on an 11-day mission to refurbish the telescope and extend its life until at least 2014

I hope the information was useful.

Source: www.newscientist.com...

jra

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Here's a link to the STS-125 mission summery which mentions what all is being fixed or replaced in each EVA.

Mission Summary (444 KB PDF)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Bummer about the gyro that didn't fit...someone's in trouble!

I know the gyros were a priority and before they decided to do the refit, it was stated that the hubble could function as long as the gyros. Apparently it could be manoeuvered on just one. With new ones all round, this is great news.

"To infinity & beyond!"

join