It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An email you should not open

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am posting this here because it relates to the war on terrorism.
There is an email circulating, called

Osama bin Laden Captured

DO NOT open the email.
"The trojan opens a random port on the victim's machine. It sends the port information to a webpage at IP address 66.139.77.145. The trojan listens on the open port for instructions and redirects traffic to other IP addresses. Spammers and hackers can take advantage of compromised systems by using the infected computer as a middleman, allowing them to pass information through it and remain anonymous"

Thought since most of us are interested in the coming and going of OBL, we might be tempted.

here is one link , looking for more

www.snopes.com...

another

freerepublic.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.I never open attachments or emails unless I am positive who it is from,yet I still have had 2 viruses in the past month.The nachi virus and the lovesan virus.They can get on your pc simply by opening an infecting website.I have learned my leeso to keep my anti-virus software updated and also run a firewall.
I would love to get my hands around the throats of these jerks that make hese viruses/trojans.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Fargin' Ice holes...I really hate hackers...

On the note of preventing hackers from infiltrating your system, I must recomend Zone Alarm. It's a free firewall which logs all attempts to send info or recieve info from another IP address. I have caught, since installing it on my computer, 4 spyware programs that spybot and AdAware didn't catch, and one virus. It gives you the name of the process that's trying to send info out that you can check with McAffe or Symantic to find out if it's malicious or not. Here's the link to get the free version of ZoneAlarm:

www.zonelabs.com...

Scroll to the bottom of the screen where it says " Download ZoneAlarm". And if you like it, and it helps you, I would say register it and get pro. People put many hours into developing this, and there's no reason if you have the money and use the product not to support them. Dang...I sound like Bill Gates...Who'd have thunk that I would be agreeing with an evil force in the software empire....

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d
Thanks for the heads up.I never open attachments or emails unless I am positive who it is from,yet I still have had 2 viruses in the past month.The nachi virus and the lovesan virus.They can get on your pc simply by opening an infecting website.I have learned my leeso to keep my anti-virus software updated and also run a firewall.
I would love to get my hands around the throats of these jerks that make hese viruses/trojans.

If you use outlook, don't. Outlook when you click on an email automatically downloads the attachment (unless it's a .mdb extension :shk: ) allowing the virus to get onto your system without opening the attachment. As for alternatives, I have none, I check my email online if it has an attachment. From what people have told me Mozzilla is the way to go, but I can't confirm that.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Firewalls are such a necessity these days IE

Today I have had 86 inbound attempts

For the month I have had 52427.

Most of these are harmless --my ISP etc, but when I trace some that end up in Europe, then I have to wonder.

They seem to know what topics will interest people and feed off of that . IE using OBL getting captured. Perhaps they visit boards like ATS and go from there..

Like this little ping....

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Watching port scan logs can really make one paranoid. After the US Roadrunner cable modem network (which is just rife with script kiddies), most of our serious incidents originate in Asia. It used to be Eastern Europe, but they got left in the dust this year. The most active domains are:

nttpc.ne.jp
kornet.nm.kr
chinanet.cn.net
stnet.ad.jp
qtnet.ad.jp

new topics

top topics

join