It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of malware complaints on ATS?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Good that it`s taken care of, but..i have never yet had any probs with malware from ATS. I have all the protection i need and WOT is giving ATS an excellent rating so i feel secure.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I personally never had any problems, so I'm thankful for that.

On my browsing computer, I run Ubuntu and Firefox, so I doubt much malware would do any real harm.

But good you guys are trying to keep your visitors safe.

Peace,
FK

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Good job
, I originally suffered from some of the redirects that were occuring and that hasn't happened recently.

Most of the time I am not signed in, unless I specifically go to reply to something, and the popup that often appears is a little annoying. The window is normally closed before it is even loaded though.

It could be worse, one of those flash ads that slides all over the screen, I hate those so much.

While I am here, I will mention something that is slightly off topic. RSS feeds, I have recently taken to reading these on my mobile phone, and I have found that the ATS feeds are not really that good. You get the headline and maybe one line of the OP if you are lucky.

When I read the feeds from other sites such as Engadget, I basically get the whole article or 'first post', it would be great if you guys could do the same for ATS

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Good news, glad to hear it, I was one of those who mentioned the remote image exploits, so I was glad once that was gone, if an exploit is simple enough I know about it, it really shouldn't exist on a decent site like ATS.

I think it's very important to vet and prune your ads as you do, if you get too much malware, or too many ads that make noises or are otherwise obnoxious, it becomes too tempted to use an adblocker, even though you respect the site and want them to get their ad money.

I see this as a problem for the whole internet, too much greed will cause a collapse in the end, as site owners will use bad ad providers, then users will have to respond with blocking software, and that will damage the internet in the end, as no-one will have the money to provide the larger sites.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Recently I have had two separate heavy-duty malware attacks of unknown origin. I practice safe browsing habits and almost never
browse to fishy sites. I never open questionable email attachments. I also use Opera, presumably a less-inviting target than IE. I can't say ATS was the source because I look at so many different pages. I now run AVG which seems to work well but loads my system considerably. Can anyone point out a site with a comprehensive list of online malware sources? That would be helpful. BTW I don't begrudge the owners integrating ads because they have to support the site and make money somehow.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

If I may ask a question-------does this site use/apply LSO's or otherwise known as "SuperCookies"?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm also running OSX, 10.5.6... I've never had a virus or anything like that on here. Occasionally I get a few popups from ATS, maybe once or twice a day, but nothing trying to install or anything. I've also noticed a pick-up in speed recently.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolterm
If I may ask a question-------does this site use/apply LSO's or otherwise known as "SuperCookies"?

I believe our video player makes use of "Locally Stored Objects" for the purpose of keeping track of minor preference variables.

The same for our Flash chat application.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

In all honesty---I am no expert of these things------but can you tell me if there is any truth to the claim that these LSO's are infectious in any way?----from what I've read, they dont sound too good----And is there is any way to delete them or are they undeletable?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm glad you are looking out for us. Occasionally, the browser would skip off the page I was reading and go to some "computer scanning" website. It was quite annoying. Not to mention the constant refreshing of the page. Going to ATS was a risk I had to take because I love you guys so much.
Thanks.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
it's ok if i have the JOSHFORCASH or the SCREENSAVER popups, i know this sight has to make some money to keep it going. so i'm laying low and i'm mellowed out. besides malware is the evil darklord of any site, and it's nice to see you clean it up. tks S.O.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Actually those interested in some computer diagnosis/repair, I can work remotely with CrossLoop, via cnet. I'm a recommended technician by them. =D

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by TrueAmerican

With Opera you can block specific files, so you can block only the avatar you don't like, but I am not suggesting that you change your browser just because of that.

Oh yes you are ArMap, I know you opera types!
J/K.

There's a firefox add-on that will do it too. I just don't trust add-ons. Once bitten thrice shy.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolterm

In all honesty---I am no expert of these things------but can you tell me if there is any truth to the claim that these LSO's are infectious in any way?----from what I've read, they dont sound too good----And is there is any way to delete them or are they undeletable?

Why would they be undeletable? In the end they're just another file on your PC.
Information available here (Including suggestions to remove them)

As for people using anti-virus stuff, NOD32 is my personal favorite and has proven itself multiple times of being one of the best (You can also just re-install the trial version every 30 days, which offers full functionality)

[edit on 11/5/09 by -0mega-]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Terms and Conditions of ATS

...within it you'll find:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

[edit on 31-5-2009 by alien]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I needed to come back to this thread and say that in an earlier post here, I told that I was getting all kinds of pop ups after I logged in, and at that time I was. Now, it doesn't happen at all after I have logged in, but boy, trying to do so I am bombarded with them! I have to keep trying to click them out of my way so I can enter my name and password! What is up with that???

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

oooo, I love a man that talks all technical

No really, what does all that mean, 'locally stored files' ? Please explain the process of 'keeping track of them' to a non technical person like me

[edit on 1-6-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
but boy, trying to do so I am bombarded with them!

They're not coming from us.

If you're not logged in, you'll see a maximum of two pop-up/unders from our ad code in a 24-hour period. I regularly confirm this by logging out myself.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well i never though malware was an ATS problem it is more of an internet problem. When it comes to protecting yourself from it you have to buck up, be a big boy and go BUY some softwear, or make your own.
Think about it for a min. Free programs you download to protect yourself from online threats make their money from sponsors, advertisments. Most spyware is for marketing purposes to tell what kind of sites you visit so companies can focus their marketing to you. So when you think about it free anti-spyware programs really just filter out the malware that companies do not pay to have unblocked from this free service. It is free because it only filters and does not block.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join