It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bios passwords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I currently have two laptops on the bench with bios passwords. the users claim they did not enter a password. I am fairly sure they dont' know how to enter the bios and they would have had to enter the password twice. It seems to be a virus. Has anyone had any expirence with this? I have tried to remove the cmos battery but that didn't clear the password. Any help would be appriciated.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
what motherboard is it...usually you can clear these by resetting one of the jumpers....

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

they are both laptops. they don't have jumpers on them. Most desktops have a jumper or a button to reset the bios to defaut settings. From my understaning there is a program that can take the code I get when I enter the wrong PW three times and get a master reset code. I just don't want to pay $75 to a guy on ebay who probably wrote this virus so people like me would have to pay him $75 a pop to fix it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I have tried to remove the cmos battery but that didn't clear the password. Any help would be appriciated.

Once you've removed the CMOS battery, simply use a paper clip to bridge the two contact points for the battery... effectively shorting them.

It's basically the same as the BIOS reset jumper.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

sorry - mybad - should have seen the laptop bit.....some of the older laptops will have jumpers on them that are accessible....usually take part off near the fan and you can get to it....what type of laptop do you have and how old...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

off home now but heres a few handylinks

bioscentral.com...

not sure what you have so heres another

xtreview.com...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

one is a dell vostro 1000 and the other is a compaq presario r3360US.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That did not work.

top topics

join