It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck is so scary...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
... That he makes people FAINT!

It really appeared that it was the gravity of the topic being discussed that had such a fainting effect on this guy.

It's amazing though that he had the place of mind to communicate his situation... good thing Glenn shook his hand...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I don't think he reached out to shake his hand. Looked like he reached out as if to make sure he was alright. The guy just shook it. You notice right as the guy went to grab his hand Beck turned back toward the screen.

Some people just can't handle live television.

edit to add-

It was pretty funny though when he said "gone" right before he hit the ground.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by jd140]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The guy appears to have had an anxiety attack due to nerves of being live. He needs to take Beta-Blocker meds to calm his system next time he is publicly presenting.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FX44rice
The guy appears to have had an anxiety attack due to nerves of being live. He needs to take Beta-Blocker meds to calm his system next time he is publicly presenting.

So rather than people learning to relax they should take medication?

That my friend is why the world is crumbling around our feet, people just pop a pill to deal with life rather than actually deal with life.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Some of these people are asked a day or two before the show to appear. There really isn't time to learn to relax before talking on one of the most watched news shows.

So yes in some situations taking some meds for something like anxiety is ok.

Kind of like a person who is terrified of flying, but has to travel by plane for one reason or another.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The problem with the world today is people like you who seem to think your methods and approaches to life should be imposed on everyone.

Personally I don't take Ibuprofen if I don't have to, and avoid any medication at all costs. However, the anxiety this guy experienced coupled with an unkown pre-existing cardiac problem could kill him. Therefore, if one is unable to control their anxiety through meditations or other natural therapy, I would suggest:

Beta Blockers, an old blood pressure drug - they can take the edge off Anxiety in Public Speaking. Beta blockers aren't habit forming, they are inexpensive and very small doses right before a speech can stop the huge flow of adrenaline that occurs with anxiety.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

you are joking right?

Learning to relax isn't something that you need to learn the day before going on TV, you learn it from birth, why do we put unrealistic expectations upon people and then think a pill will help them, it does not solve the underlying problem, it just masks it.

But hey. if you can't deal with life, just get hooked on drugs, I am sure all those people addicted to legal prescription and non legal drugs are having a great time.

From my experience, more people die from pills that help them cope with life than die from embarresment.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I remember that episode. He was supposed to come back on the next day or something but I missed that one.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

You tell a person who has a phobia that they just have to learn to relax.

That person obviously didn't learn to relax from birth, like you suggest, so is he not suppose to appear on television and possibly further his career because you think taking something for anxiety is bad?

Obviously you haven't been put in a stressful enviorment like live television.

I have and I am amazed I didn't pass out.

I find it hard to believe you don't take anything for pain, no matter how severe it is.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

So all MD's are working in vain destroying the lives of people.

You're confusing abusive addictive behavior with practical and relevant use of medications.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by FX44rice]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I saw that episode and the guy was ill and had to be taken to the hospital for observation.

What happened to him could happen to anyone and it's not always just a case of nerves, although nerves might have been a factor.

Nonetheless, the man in question was a personal friend of Beck, so I doubt that his response had anything to do with Beck being scary.

It was a funny episode, however, just in the way it happened. In fact, I was talking about it with some friends of mine just today.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

for the sake of my own sanity, I will not continue with debating the pro's and cons of prescribed medication or even illegal medication.
It is not a black and white subject.
There are some medication which are very useful such as Asthma medication , pain killers or even insulin.

I personally believe that mind altering substances are a dangerous thing and should be used wisely and not just popped to help someone through a television probram.
people always had the option of saying "NO", I don't want to go on TV

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

I personally believe that mind altering substances are a dangerous thing

Well before you go, let me correct you.

Beta Blockers are not mind altering in any way.

You make unjustified statements paraphrased in an argumentative fashion.

Then as you see your shortcomings on the issue and say "I'm walking away now"

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
he probably locked up his knees while he was standing there. military guys say that if you have to stand at attention for any length of time, you don't lock your knees or you will pass out.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
he probably locked up his knees while he was standing there. military guys say that if you have to stand at attention for any length of time, you don't lock your knees or you will pass out.

Yep, you will fall flat on your face.

I have seen that more times then I can count. There is always one person who won't listen when told not to lock your knees.

This guy didn't do that though. If he had then he would have just fallen stiff as a board.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I love how people start posting stuff about what it is and everything without knowing the facts........come on people be objective......the guy was sick, he had been sick, and he had told Glenn that he wasnt feeling well and was feeling light headed......and then.........POW! DOWN GOES FRASIER! lol i was watching when this happened it was funny, and the guy came on a couple of days later he was a really good sport about it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FX44rice

Originally posted by munkey66

I personally believe that mind altering substances are a dangerous thing

Well before you go, let me correct you.

Beta Blockers are not mind altering in any way.

You make unjustified statements paraphrased in an argumentative fashion.

Then as you see your shortcomings on the issue and say "I'm walking away now"

Some beta blockers enter the brain better than others. Propranolol (Inderal) crosses the blood-brain barrier particularly well. This may be why propranolol causes more central nervous system side effects, such as hallucinations, nightmares, and depression, than the beta blockers that do not cross into the brain as easily.

BETA BLOCKERS AND PERFORMANCE ANXIETY IN MUSICIANS

I stand corrected, I didn't know that hallucinations, nightmares, and depression where heart related.
Please accept my humble appologies.
Who would have thought there was more than 1 type of Beta blocker

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I get the idea the guy was an Epileptic....
And that he had experienced passing out so many times, he was able to tell when one was coming.

Just like my hyperventilations... Maybe he can just feel it coming on, a little warning...

This would make sense. More so, than the topic of conversation freaking him out.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
OMG you guys are still posting an assumption on what happened........this is why im not surprised that so many people dont "get it " when things happen....its not hard i mean really, he explained it in his show, and after like 4 times, plus you can look it up on google lol.............he was sick, hed been sick and light headed, he had been recovering from the flu or something similar......

new topics

top topics

join