It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

au.news.yahoo.com

SEOUL (AFP) - A homeless South Korean unable to withdraw his life savings because he could not remember his real name has died in poverty, officials said.

The man, believed to be aged 56, died of cancer last month, leaving 128 million won (just over 100,000 dollars) in a bank account that was opened in early 1993 under the alias of Na Hae-Dong.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

from the source

A local court is expected to order that the savings revert to the state, he added.

sounds like the goverment wouldn't of made too much effort in identifying the man. with cancer and all would it not of been most profitable to wait for his demise and have it go to the "state"?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This makes me sad to read.
Wouldn't he have had any documentation stating his birth name on it? (sorry I can't read the article it's blocked at my work).

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyfrompain
This makes me sad to read.
Wouldn't he have had any documentation stating his birth name on it? (sorry I can't read the article it's blocked at my work).

The account was frozen because it was created with a non-registered name, because the man didn't know his real name, or where he was born. He had to register a real name to withdraw the money from the account, but he couldn't because of his lack of information. It appears the process was underway to get him a new identity when he died.

It's a sad story, indeed. I feel really sorry for the man, he just seemed to have slipped through the cracks. And I'm sure the government wasn't exactly helpful, either.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
sounds like the govt wants his money

top topics

join