posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
What a . . . sticky wicket area this will likely be/is.
1. The negativity is troublesome . . . sometimes to the max.
2. It DOES discourage lots of us from posting many times on many threads and topics. Sometimes, it even turns us off from reading a topic that we are
normally interested in.
3. That can't be good for business nor the community of shared, masticated ideas.
4. How to engineer a cure that's not worse than the problem will likely be challenging.
5. The times we are in are overtly negative. They are becoming more so by the minute. They will become horrifically so, imho.
5.1 Hell, by definition, is not positive in the least. And Hell is literally determined to rule the world--and will--for a short time, imho.
6. Even the faintest foundation for any shred of a positive perspective will likely become in very short supply. Thankfully, we are not THERE, yet.
However, the view of the near looming horizon is not promising on that score, imho.
7. People are enormously defined, conditioned, influenced by their context, environment, contingencies.
8. Throw in the 'natural' human tendency to focus on the negative--and we are off and running persistently down a very black path.
9. We focus on the negative . . . apart from because of 'original sin' . . . . because (A) it seems and often is more 'exciting,' (B) dramatic,
(C) intense. (D) It's also easier and probably (E) more habitual to get an interesting, energetic response from others over negative stuff.
10. (F) That tends to affirm in perverse psychological ways that one is worth something, truly exists because one triggered an intense response from
someone else regardless of how prickly, brittle, destructive.
11. THERE IS ALSO A KIND OF CULTURAL GESTALT that's increasingly become the norm--THAT TO BE AGIN' something EQUALS brilliance, erudition, coolness
12. Far too many folks have sooooo much REACTIVE ATTACHMENT DISORDER from poor parenting the first 8 years of life . . . that THEY NEVER LEARNED the
MORE interesting, MORE CONSTRUCTIVE, MORE exciting truths and principles of CREATING GROWTHFUL IDENTITIES BY CONSTRUCTING IMPROVED PERSONHOOD,
IMPROVED REALITIES, IMPROVED ART, IMPROVED WIDGETS. They've been treated like a stinking pile from near birth and a stinking pile is about all they
have the ability to see or comment on. The brown stinking goo certainly all they seem to be able to sculpt their identities out of.
. . . yada . . . yada . . . yada . . . this psychologist could go on for many pages in that vein.
13. I think the point system MIGHT be used to good effect.
A) more liberally applied bonus points for modeling positive styles, tones, attitudes, phrasing etc. Perhaps easier ways to click to recommend a
poster for such. A certain number of such clicks might automatically deliver 500 or so points.
B) Perhaps a point "tax" on a certain level of; severity of; frequency of negativity. Definitions could be tricky but might still be worth hammering
C) Perhaps a rating set of buttons on negativity to postivity . . . say a forced choice scale . . .
C.1) 1-10 with no midpoint. A certain percentage of clicks rating a post 1-2 well in the end of negativity would result in XXX point tax subtracted.
C.2) After the person's points were reduced to zero, they'd be limited to a 50 word posting limit or some such. If the 50 words continued to be
rated overwhelmingly negative--they'd get a 2-4 week time out.
C.3) A person who's posts were consistently rated 9-10 on the positive end would rapidly accrue more points in say 300-500 point chunks.
14. One must not underestimate the challenges in overcoming this problem. All the forces of hell are arrayed AGAINST A WORKABLE solution. I mostly
mean that literally and I'm mostly not kidding. There ARE destructive spiritual forces loose in the world which are determined to bring the house
down around their own ears . . . to their own maniacal laughter--wallowing gleefully in the blood of the humans afflicted with their deadly negativity
15. It is a valiant, worthy, necessary goal. Otherwise, the poison and uncomfortable smell will relentlessly erode all the pleasant worth to being on
16. Folks may temporarily enjoy a free-for-all fray and take smug comfort and 'fun' in zinging other posters 'some good ones.' Eventually,
however, the smell, the blood and the generally bitter sawdust taste in the mouth overcomes the excitement and one just passes on by.
17. A lot of posters hereon have majored in rebellion instead of majoring in excellence (again, because of the RAD mentioned above). I don't know how
many of those are trainable. They will present some major challenges. The rebellion lurking in or near all of us is challenging enough. When it rules
the person, negativity is a major theme and hallmark of such a soul.
18. FREEREPUBLIC.COM has a "smokey back room" where temporary incorrigibles are sent for their raging brick bat fights. The worst such are simply
not tolerated and folks are banned. The transitory sort of brief flash-point type of thing that erupts a bit over the line is relegated to the back
room. IIRC, the hostile dialogue then is out-of-sight of visitors and members and only those involved originally see the text. I don't know if
that's worth the bother, or not.
19. I believe there are SOME MODS and certainly what I've seen of the principals . . . FOR WHOM MODELING EXCELLENT BEHAVIOR . . . with a trainable
corps of 'disciples' could have incredibly powerful influence. Increased access and dialogue with wonderful people can be very reinforcing and
rewarding--way above that of points.
20. Of course, some MODS are not that removed from negativity and rebellious attitudes themselves. They just have more polished ways of flinging such.
I think that's a whole 'nother level of problem. And, they tend to fling such only toward those in their targeted OUT-GROUPS.
21. 21 points plus is enough for now. Thanks for asking these questions about this problem. It's one worth a lot of prayerful thought for this
Christian psychologist. Christians hereon tend to take it relentlessly in the groin from the majority of mods and members. WE CERTAINLY FEEL THE BRUNT
OF THE NEGATIVITY probably far in excess of our numbers or the number of our posts.
22. NO other religion nor value system, philosophy, philosophical identity suffers NEAR as much verbal abuse and flung-at-them negativity hereon as do
Christians--routinely--regardless of how little justified. And sometimes, MODS lead the pack--or used to. Haven't paid much attention to such
BLESSINGS IN YOUR ADMIRABLE EFFORT. Will try to check back on this thread to see if you'd like further comment from me or have questions of me.